Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

western canadians
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> International Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
garetlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mr Bungle

It's not insured right now (I need a few parts) but I've used it camping and for getting to school last year. When I get my tax return back it should be a daily driver again!

The 21 is pretty rusted, I've got a few replacement panels and access to a welder but we'll see how it goes....

The Riviera is all white (no plates and in a guys backyard). I think I've seen the green one though, along Clark - it's shiny and new...

I just noticed a post answering my question below.

-R

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=65960
Nightfall_bc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garetlaw wrote:
I've got a rusty 66 21 window and live around Main St. in Vancouver. There is a 60's Riviera around too...

-lookin' for a good garage - heard good things about the Bug Shop in Delta anyone been there?

Richard

Shane at the Bug Shop has worked on my van for 4 years. The guys are fair and they do what it takes to keep these vehicles on the road. Only problem I have with them is that they're always super busy and as such, it's sometimes hard to get what you need fixed, when you need it done. Because of that, sometimes the work is rushed. In general though, they've always treated me really well. I do admit that I've been looking for a new mechanic in Vancouver though, just because it's so hard to get into the Bug Shop.
Volksnutt67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been on the site for years but never registered, but today was the day I registered and posted my pics. Im From Airdrie, Alberta and own the black 67 beetle in the readers rides
Mr. Bungle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey volksnutt67.

drive (or tow) your car across the rockies to the great canadian volkswagen show this august 15th. that car i f@#kin tight. it would show really well. the whole weekend is fun. cruises, drags, swaps etc.

you've got a really sweet looking car there. good work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksnutt67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I will keep that in mind for this summer and see if I can make it.
el_flechado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: I just got here Reply with quote

New to Canada and new to BC, Vancouver, i just got through immigration and one of the first things on my mind is trying to sort out myself out with a splity as a daily driver. It seems from this site that all the rides seem to be down southof the border, so i figure i'd make the trip and try and hook myself up with some transport, do any of you guys or gals know if there are any import duties involved in bringing a bus up here?Or probs with registration

Cheers
dana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats up fellas, snow is almost gone.......

DANA............
( )===O===( )
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing a splitty across won't be a big deal. You'll need to pay GST on the purchase price at the border, and show the Americans the title. They can hold the car for up to 3 days to check the title, so you might want to get it faxed to them prior to your trip, although I didn't, and I never had a problem (brought 2 through different border crossings). The Canadians may want to call the seller to confirm the purchase price if you get a really good deal. Also you'll need an out of province inspection, and in BC you might need to get it aircared, but I'm not sure on that one. What's the deal with that one left coasters?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nightfall_bc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremysmithatshawdotca wrote:
Bringing a splitty across won't be a big deal. You'll need to pay GST on the purchase price at the border, and show the Americans the title. They can hold the car for up to 3 days to check the title, so you might want to get it faxed to them prior to your trip, although I didn't, and I never had a problem (brought 2 through different border crossings). The Canadians may want to call the seller to confirm the purchase price if you get a really good deal. Also you'll need an out of province inspection, and in BC you might need to get it aircared, but I'm not sure on that one. What's the deal with that one left coasters?

In Vancouver (and all of the lower mainland) you will have to get air cared before the vehicle can get insured. You can get a 3 month permit if necessary, but any vehicle around here has to make it through air care unless it is registered as a classic (and good luck with that...).
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy your first year's insurance without an aircare.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
olivhed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all. I'm heading up to Vancouver in about a month for a conference at UBC. Getting in early afternoon June 15th and taking the red-eye out June 19th. I'll have some free time for about a day before the conference and most of the day after. Anything going on around then, VW or not? Any restaurants you might recommend? Unfortunately, I'm stuck with public transportation so it all needs to be relatively close.
Nightfall_bc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olivhed wrote:
Hey all. I'm heading up to Vancouver in about a month for a conference at UBC. Getting in early afternoon June 15th and taking the red-eye out June 19th. I'll have some free time for about a day before the conference and most of the day after. Anything going on around then, VW or not? Any restaurants you might recommend? Unfortunately, I'm stuck with public transportation so it all needs to be relatively close.

Ahh, UBC, the beautiful place I call home for 8 months of the year (until they kick all the residents out for the summer). Transit from UBC is wonderful, so no worries there. I'm not sure what kinds of non-VW stuff would interest, but I'd suggest checking out http://www.tourismvancouver.com/docs/visit/index.html for things that turn your crank. You're unfortunately missing a VW show by one day... The West Coast Showdown is on Sunday, the 20th in South Surrey.
Question though, are you staying on campus during your conference? Just curious whether they stuck you in Gage Towers, they've been known to do that before.

2nd Bus - TBD.

Dreaming of the slow lane...
olivhed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'd found that site but I always like hearing from people who actually live in the area I'm visiting, especially when it comes to restaurants.

I like old architecture, hiking, natural structures (love a nice rocky coast, I'm assuming you have one up there), not big on shopping - do like a good meal though. And pretty much anything interesting that I've never seen before.

Sucks about the VW show. You'll have to post lots of pics.
Nightfall_bc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olivhed wrote:
Thanks. I'd found that site but I always like hearing from people who actually live in the area I'm visiting, especially when it comes to restaurants.

I like old architecture, hiking, natural structures (love a nice rocky coast, I'm assuming you have one up there), not big on shopping - do like a good meal though. And pretty much anything interesting that I've never seen before.

Sucks about the VW show. You'll have to post lots of pics.

Ah, well you're going to have to check out Wreck Beach - the clothing optional beach right across the road from UBC. There are about a thousand steps going down and it's aboslutely beautiful; you can forget that there's a huge campus right above you, you can't see it at all from down there. As for hiking, the Grouse Grind on Grouse Mountain is really popular. I don't know details about it, but it's a challenging hike that takes you to the top of the mountain. You might like walking/rollerblading/biking the Sea Wall too - it's a path that runs right along the water from Stanley Park through Granville Island (specialty shops, artsie place).

As for restaurants, for a casual feel, Café Crepe is fun if you like French crepes or sandwiches. There are 3 or 4 in Vancouver, 2 of which are downtown and easily accessible by transit. The Frog and Firkin pub on West Broadway has good, standard pub food and a great ambiance. Primos on West 12th at Granville has great mexican food but it's a bit pricey. Mongolian Grill does a make your own stir fry type thing if that interests you.

2nd Bus - TBD.

Dreaming of the slow lane...
olivhed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. They all sound great except for maybe the Grouse Grind. I think that's the one I read about that's practically straight up then you have to take a gondola back down. Not that I haven't done strenuous hikes before but I'm not sure about that one. Might have to see it before making a final decision.
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vancouver is a good city for old architecture too. There are buildings on the north east side of downtown that have held the title of the tallest in the Brithish Empire at points, such as the old Vancouver Sun building. Not the nicest of neighbourhoods by any means, bu tI've never had any problems walking around down there. It's not far from Gastown, or from the Main branch of the library (new architecture modelled on extremely old architecture!). There is or was a fellow who writes for one of the local papers about various buildings in the city. He does great pen and ink drawings, and writes a bit of the history of the building. I'm sure he has a book... Googled the subject, and the guy's name is Robin Ward, and his book is Robin Ward's Vancouver, check it out at bookstore or library when you get there.
Jeremy

Here are some links to check too:
http://www.harbourpublishing.com/index.php?s=book&id=237
http://www.aibc.ca/home_page/vancouver_walkingtour_brochure.pdf
http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/dc80f/1/e1a/
http://www.seevancouverheritage.com/vhr/vhr01/vhr01.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
olivhed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links Jeremy. I may just have to skip the conference! Very Happy
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to all my fellow Canucks. I'm sitting here representing the Cal-Look scene in Saskatchewan! Hope to be making out to the GCVW show for this years festivities. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paule
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuu loo kuu kuu kuu kuu kuu...
i represent the lowlook maybe old skool look. in calgary alberta.
i will be at the gcvw on the 15th in a hammered oval, horizon blue...
i may need you guys to lift me over the speed bumps in the coquitlam park there....
troy (volksnutt67) there is no excuse not to come out Cool i think everyone else is...
has anyone ever found a mouse in a beer bottle before?
or taken the jar of moths into the theater?
ha
samtheman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: western canadians Reply with quote

eh man, whats up? i am in vancouver and i am looking for a thing in rough shape? got any leads? :?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> International All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: