Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subi Swap - 75 Panel
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fogoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Subi Swap - 75 Panel Reply with quote

So I've had this panel bus for just over a year... It was sitting for a f*$k load of time before I got my dirty mitts on it.... Hadn't run for maybe 20-25 years. My initial goal (which I attained) was to learn the FI system, collect the pieces it needed, and get it running.
I had a splitty single cab which I used as my reno work truck. It was awesome but not so great when you have a wife, baby and dog. I wanted to have a beater that was reliable to get to the lumber yard and could also take the family...

This is the Poe-Bus
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Poe is the PO - he actually had 3 panels at one point - so technically this one is PoeII, PoeI is an early bay panel and PoeIII is a twin of mine (and prolly still for sale, PM me if you are interested, It's in Ontario)

I love the patina. I've lowered it a notch or 2, and the nose needed a little love, it's the only part that'll get new paint

I've decided to go subi EJ22 in this bus because 1 - I already bought the donor for another bus I was gonna swap it in, 2 - heat that won't kill my 1 yr old if I forget to open the windows Smile and 3 - I just like the challenge.

This bus will be a 3 1/2 season runner - I won't drive it on slippery days Smile

I'm keeping the VW tranny as is for now, and will keep an eye out for a suitable 091 that I can have re-geared and swap out later. I have the engine support bracket from Busaru Mick, and the TBR from him is in the mail and should get here anytime. Mick has been an awesome help, he actually recommended a shop called Outfront Motorsports to get the KEP adapter, they have the best price I've seen for one to date. And, for those of us north of the border, they have an international shipping account with Fedex - It was only $70 to ship and that included the brokerage fee (usually that's $50 alone) Even better they ship it by air - It'll be here in a day or 2!

Anywhoo.......

The donor.....1999 Impreza Auto, around 120,000 mi. Needs timing belt, new seals etc

Engine out....

Harness carnage....

Really not a terrible job - I would say 8-9 hours to pull the harness and the engine, I left the airbag wiring and everything that ran to the back of the car. I pulled the heater and A/C and hope to eventually put it under the rear westy seat, I kept all the dash ducting as well, might come in handy.

Wire harness out....

Weeding through the mess....

Once again, not a terrible job. Took about 3 hrs to get all the useless stuff out.
I decided to be extra thorough and label all the left over stuff coming out of the ECU. I'll be getting the Smallcar ECU interface board to deal with the trouble codes, some of those will get used then. This is what I ended up with...

Right now I'm toying with going with the subi rad under the belly.... I already have it, the fans match, the a/c bits match, and I have had this picture in my head of my 'scoop' setup. I think Tcash once posted it as an option.....

It's similar to what VW did for the a/c setup - I saw a pic somewhere once...

Mind you, I haven't actually measured to see if it will fit yet....

Big thanks to Skills and all the guys who have done their swaps and posted it up here (subi or otherwise). I've read through those threads dozens of times and it made starting this swap waaaaaaay easier. The info on here is invaluable

Steve
75 Panel Bus - converting to Subi power http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651073&highlight=
78 Kombi Camper
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Subi Swap - 75 Panel Reply with quote

welcome to the jungle Twisted Evil

Link

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Subi Swap - 75 Panel Reply with quote

Great start Steve, and nice looking harness.
fogoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Subi Swap - 75 Panel Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Hopefully should have the rest of the bits in a week or 2
75 Panel Bus - converting to Subi power http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651073&highlight=
78 Kombi Camper
62CdnNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Subi Swap - 75 Panel Reply with quote

This is going to be a cool build Steve..Love the panel van!

Hope to have more on my parts bus in April. Then I will see if the slider is any good for you.
1972 Westfalia (sold)
1974 Thing
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Subi Swap - 75 Panel Reply with quote

Sweet! Another Canuck build! (for now, I'll live vicariously through you guys as I have neither the skills or time!)

Good luck!
Smushy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Subi Swap - 75 Panel Reply with quote

Looks like a great start! I went through and watched your other videos on this bus, are you planning on creating more video blogs on the work process? Hope to see it around sometime.
1973 Type2 Kombi
1977 Rabbit
1961 & 1964 Heilite Single Wheel
fogoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Subi Swap - 75 Panel Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I do have more videos of the bus repair, just not finished yet. Left the country to avoid winter for a while and lost the momentum Confused
Ironically the next one to go is all about the T4 FI system, and after that I get the bus running for the first time......
78 Kombi Camper
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Subi Swap - 75 Panel Reply with quote

fogoo wrote:
Thanks guys, I do have more videos of the bus repair, just not finished yet. Left the country to avoid winter for a while and lost the momentum Confused
Ironically the next one to go is all about the T4 FI system, and after that I get the bus running for the first time......

Oooo must have forgotten to CC you the memo, we cancelled winter this year so we can all get our Subaru swaps on!! Se get to work Razz
knightsofni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Subi Swap - 75 Panel Reply with quote

Planning to do the swap in my Bay soon too.
Just waiting to find a suitable victim for a donor car.
I will be following with interest.
Regards
Knights
ezytroopy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Subi Swap - 75 Panel Reply with quote

I have just stared my conversion as well. Keen to watch and learn. Every conversion is different.
fogoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Subi Swap - 75 Panel Reply with quote

Looky what showed up today Very Happy

Once I get the TBR. I'll have almost everything I need to start. Will get on the horn to Subaru tomorrow to get the timing belt and bits.....

I was out yesterday looking at the heater setup and I think I have a plan. I have a full size westy bench to go in the back. The box section is completely rotted out, but enough is there to make good templates and rebuild... my point is that I don't have to worry about cutting holes in a mint westy interior.

So the heater & a/c are going to go in the rear seat... this is the whole setup as pulled...

The flaps for heat vs cool, fresh air vs recirc, and outlets are all operated by levers (not electric) The fan speed and a/c are electric... obviously.. Razz

So what I'm thinking is to mount the 'control' panel on the outside front of the rear bench, It'll be in close proximity to the original setup of the Impreza and will give me full control of the flaps... this is it.....

A clean square hole and it has mounting tabs on the back. I could easy do the wiring and have a master switch up front to control the whole works. The downside is you would have to walk to the back to change any settings. Option B would be getting the same control panel from the local u-pic and at least have the electrics upfront. I have to go there for seats anyways so if I see a matching one I'll grab it

I grabbed all the dash ducting from the donor car as well.....

If it'll all fit under the seat it'll be a great start to diverting the air wherever....

Btw, I was able to keep the fan/air wiring intact as I was weeding through the harness, I think I only had to cut one wire to the ECU to separate it from the rest, So it should be an easy (I hope Rolling Eyes ) hook-up later ...

78 Kombi Camper
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Subi Swap - 75 Panel Reply with quote

I would watch busaru's video on heating. Kinda followed what youre thinking but put it all up front.

Personally I am going to get an aftermarket heater of JC whitney or something and set it up near the front to blow through the factory holes from the bottom of the bus. This way a simple 3 switch (off low high) will control the heat and it will come out the factory defrost and ducts. Also, less room than the factory set up. Just my 2 cents.
Not a Priest.
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Subi Swap - 75 Panel Reply with quote

BusPriest wrote:
I would watch busaru's video on heating. Kinda followed what youre thinking but put it all up front.

Personally I am going to get an aftermarket heater of JC whitney or something and set it up near the front to blow through the factory holes from the bottom of the bus. This way a simple 3 switch (off low high) will control the heat and it will come out the factory defrost and ducts. Also, less room than the factory set up. Just my 2 cents.

Did you need to add a thermostat bypass when putting the core up front?
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Subi Swap - 75 Panel Reply with quote

fogoo wrote:

Interesting idea. I will be curious to see if the Subarus AC core will be big enough to cool the bus.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Subi Swap - 75 Panel Reply with quote

BusPriest wrote:

This is what I did. My core is bolted to the front splash tray and ducted to go into the bottom of the heater "tree."

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fogoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Subi Swap - 75 Panel Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the heater core up front would be most optimal for the front defrost vents. I'm gonna work with what I have to start and see if it does an ok job. I will be joining it to the bus' heater tube to feed the front of the bus, and have it switchable via the Impreza control panel. I have read that if you go with the core up front, you will have to do a thermostat mod, the Vanagon guys figured it out. Right now the cost of me trying it this way is a couple of heater hoses and a 12v source....
Will let you know about the a/c core for sure
78 Kombi Camper
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Subi Swap - 75 Panel Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
BusPriest wrote:

This is what I did. My core is bolted to the front splash tray and ducted to go into the bottom of the heater "tree."

Captain- have not done it yet. In Texas so I'm good until next November/December and I just "finished" my swap.

Vwwestyman-
Are you getting your clean air from the bottom as well or from inside the cabin?
Not a Priest.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Subi Swap - 75 Panel Reply with quote

At the moment it is drawing from under the Bus.

I noted that the heater's air was about 20-30 degrees cooler than the heater's air from the rear heater. (My bus has front and rear heating-fancy!)

My theory is that this is largely due to the front always heating the cold outside air while the rear heater is always recirculating air from inside the Bus.

I do plan to at some point add ducting to recirculate the front heat, and just crack open the fresh air vent if I was getting condensation.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fogoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Subi Swap - 75 Panel Reply with quote

I'm making some progress... It took a few days for the timing belt and rollers to arrive but I finally have all that on and buttoned up. Glad I changed the works....one of the rollers was actually near seized and the belt was cracking. I think this engine was nearing a big uh-oh.... Compression is good and the head gaskets seem ok. I did the water pump and cam/crank seals while I was at it...

So I have the phase II EJ22, with the IAC built into the throttle body, and I have the reverser from Busaru. He recommends modding the port on the TB to get around the 'blockage' but there was room on the TBR to do this...

This lets me keep the subi porting

In the pic it's just tack welded for placement. I've since JB welded it to seal it up
78 Kombi Camper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: