Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Well, put a deposit down on a car today. It's missing the title but it sounds like it was left at a body shop for ever ago and is out of the DMV system for many years, so I'll need to take care of that, but the owner actually volunteered to do it himself so that I don't worry about anything funky with it and he'll just put it in his name and then transfer it to me when he gets the title. Vin in the trunk and under the back seat match at least.
Now about the car.

1967, missing a motor, but the trans and everything else is in the car. Couple dime size rust holes in the pan but other wise the pan is super clean. Rockers are super solid, fenders and lower body are solid with no rust what so ever.
The interior is all there, but the interior was completely done at some point in its life in a light blue velour or something like, I actually think it will clean up super nice and I won't have to do anything to it, maybe carpet??? The headliner is spot less, and the dash pad doesn't look cracked, but I'm not sure if it' original or not.

The only real bad I found on the car was a spot of rust up on the roof in the corner by the rain gutter, but I'm not sure if it's that deep or not, maybe just beginning of rot about the size of a silver dollar. Then there is another spot in the corner right below the windshield about the size of a half dollar. I couldn't find any rust anywhere else and I pulled up all the carpet in it.

Not sure if they all do it or not because I read something about a different back seat, but the seat folds all up so it can be completely flat in the back. I'm new to the Type 3 so maybe they all do it.

Here's a couple pictures of how I looked at her today.

Oh, and the best part, $1.200 and he's delivering it to my house.

Now to start a shopping list of what it will need.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Shopping list.

Complete motor
All Window and door rubber
Rear Bumper
Headlight ring

That's all I can think of right now.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Looks like a decent base to build from.

A couple of observations:

*Rear reflector housings are from a later car (68 or 69). Either the second hole for the wrap around housings has been filled or the fenders were swapped.

*It's got a later ignition column - potentially from a 68/69. Installed correctly, not a problem but if you can't start the car with a known good battery and engine, you might have some wiring gremlins.

*Bug window cranks - without good buffer discs (plastic ring between the window crank and door panel, they'll potentially bind/chew up the door panel. 67 Type 3 window cranks are one year only.

*The dash is probably the original. It's got a flap of material covering where the speaker grill is - likely due to the speaker grill either being cracked/missing. It's common for them to be cracked here.

*Late outer mirrors - not a bad thing for a new driver since they're larger than the correct mirrors..

*Early shift knob (pre 66) - still functions just not 'year correct'.

*Pop out knobs are upside down (they're on the under side when 'correct') - doesn't matter unless you're going for 'correct'.

Most of this is cosmetic/for correctness - not a big deal if you leave it alone...but I'd definitely check the wiring on the ignition column.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks, I was wondering about the rear reflectors. I'll have to see if I see any evidence of the holes being filled on the fenders. The holes for the stock trip are gone and appear to be welded up. Someone spent a ton of time painting this car at some point, under the dash and everything is painted blue, but in the engine compartment and under the back seat it is red, so maybe?? they welded the holes cause they like the other reflectors, whos to know.

I'm not planning on rebuilding this car to be 100% original. This will be my daughters daily driver and her first car. The plan is a really clean driver.

I'll have to check the electrical after I find a motor for it.
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Speaking of igniton.

This thing doesn't have any keys!! What should I do about getting keys made?
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Well, had her home for a little over a week now and started tearing her apart to get it ready for body work and paint.

Started collecting a couple parts so far.

Once I ripped out the carpet I found the Passenger side pan, including the batter area to be in great shape but was starting to corrode as the carpet and foam under it were wet, but no holes. I think I caught it just in time.
The driver side had a bit more corrosion and some small holes and thinning up against the rockers. You can see the holes in the picture.

The rear engine compartment was mostly completely rust free except for another area where I found the carpet padding soaking wet. This will just cleaned up really good and coated to keep it from rusting again.

I decided since this is not a full on restoration and this is a car for a 15y/o girls first car, that I wasn't going to pull the body and do a pan replacement, and 90% of the pans are in good condition, that I would do the KBS floor repair kit. Rust treatment, a POR-15 type of coating and some mesh to fill the holes.

I got that completed this last weekend, and it really came out nice I think.

I went to the Long Beach swapmeet, where there is usually not much VW stuff, and found an almost complete VW roof rack for it for $40. If I cant find the missing piece, I'll just have a buddy bend up a piece of aluminum tubing for me.

Once I finish the coating on the engine compartment, I need to get this thing into the garage so I can pull the windows out and start on the body work.
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Well, as suggested, I'll try to keep my questions in this as a build thread.

Par for the course, I've completely gotten carried away with the car, this was gonna be a quick outside respray in the same color, get it running and call it a good first car.

It's now almost completely stripped and is getting a color change to an original light blue, even though I'd really like to still keep it dark blue so I don't have to paint the dash and all the jams.

I'll post some progress pictures in a few, and also a few questions.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

First I had to completely re-arrange the garage and move the race car over so that I could get this thing in the garage, mission accomplished, now I can just push whichever car I'm working on out, and then back into the garage each night.

So I got the interior stripped except for the headliner, as it is in amazing condition. I'm not sure quite how to paint the interior and do a color change without tearing it all the way out. Right now my plan is to peal back all the edges around the window frames, and tape it back and mask it so I can paint all around the frames, then re-glue all the edges after paint. Has anyone done this before, or will the headliner need to come all the way off?

The floors and rear cargo area have been Por-15 coated.

I had to do some weld repair on the front A-pillar and I got the roof all body worked and straight and Primered last weekend.

I picked up a good running motor from Alex at ISP a few weeks back, and it's 100% complete and ready to put in after all the body and paint.

I've been slowly buying and collecting parts, Got the correct rear reflector housings, the correct rear hatch, really nice set of rear reflectors and tail light lenses. Picked up a set of correct stock wheels, still need beauty rings and hub caps. Got an aftermarket dash pad, as the one that was in it, just fell apart trying to get it out.

I'm hoping with this long weekend I can get the driver side of the car primered at least, hopefully more.

Still going to be collecting parts as I work on body and paint.

I need some 67 window cranks, a correct rear view mirror, license plate light and lens, front turn lenses, a nicer rear bumper and pass. side bumper bracket, and I'm sure a bunch more.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Your progress looks great, especially the results on the A-pillar. Not sure how you'll tackle painting the inner doors wells and lower portion and such.

Recommend you put a list together and send it to Boo-koo-z (Joel) as he probably has the bits you're looking for. At least you can prioritize the items you want and he's great to work with. I'm sure ISP will also have some pieces as well. Keep up the good work!!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

I've gotten some parts from Joel already, and lucky for me ISP is about 10 miles from my house.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

The big plastic knobs are always torn off '67 window winders by now. Better to look for the stronger '66 window winders & interior mirror. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

the rearview mirror is ridiculous. do the 66 window cranks look similar?
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

66 style

I like the earlier ones my self

for the mirror, you are in a tough spot. You need the press in 67 and later style, and it needs the long neck to actually see out the rear. On top of it, the later ones are ugly qhite and black instead of chrome like the correct 67 mirror.

Swap meet time. Or do you have one it's just broken/cracked/fogged?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

'66 & '67 parts

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

No, it had an ugly broken white plastic one it it, I ripped it out immediately.

I'll just keep looking at the swap meets for one, it's kind fun hunting the stuff down.

On a side note, I started drilling the holes back out so I could re-install the stock trim, and found the passenger fender has about a half inch of bondo on it in a few places, so off to ISP to get a fender today.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Got a correct 67 fender over at ISP and got it mocked up on the car, it's gonna require a little massaging, but overall it's pretty straight and not full of Bondo like the old one.

1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Made some good progress on sanding today, passenger side is ready for primer.

1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
2748photo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Looking Good!
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks, probably put in 40 hours of sanding and body work this weekend. I'm beat! But it's 90% ready for primer.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Finally got some time to put into the car and got it all primed yesterday. Up next to is to start scuffing up the paint inside so I can start painting the jams and dash and frunk.

I think we have a color picked out also, we're leaning towards the Denim Blue on the 2015 VW beetle. It's a nice light blue but seems to have a little grey in it.

1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: