Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice!!

Some things I'm sourcing out, if it's going to take me a few days to do, and I'm not !00% I can get it like I want it, then I'll source those out. I'm going to source the headliner out, for this reason. If it was a $500 or more I'd probably tackle it myself.

As far as windows go, luckily I have a great friend who owns his own glass business, so when I get to the windows, he's going to come over and knock them out for me.

As far as the dash, I talked to a gentleman at Pomona who suggested "Z-bar" for holding the dash down under the window rubber, he said it's made for carpet to tile/wood floor transitions and works great to keep the front portion of the dash held down and flat. Anyone here done this or have pictures of it? I haven't seen any.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

You sure you are not going to keep this car for yourself? It'll be the coolest car at school if you let your daughter keep it. It could also become a target since it looks so nice and is "unusual".

Give her a truck is my vote and you keep the dub. Great work!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

dirtslinger wrote:

As far as the dash, I talked to a gentleman at Pomona who suggested "Z-bar" for holding the dash down under the window rubber, he said it's made for carpet to tile/wood floor transitions and works great to keep the front portion of the dash held down and flat. Anyone here done this or have pictures of it? I haven't seen any.

It depends on which style of dash pad you're going to use. If it's one of Herman's repops, you should be fine without the "Z-bar" to hold it in place.
But, if you're using one of the other repop dash pads (that have been around for years), you might want to install it before installing the windshield. On my 65 Notch, I used the "C" channel out of a 71 type 3, that I screwed onto the top of the steel dash in the correct location (test fitted several times), and it's been in place for 16+ years with no issues.

I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

I would advise to use one of Hermans. Those other ones have always been a mixed bag of degrees of quality.

Hermans would be a better choice for a car that you've dumped this much energy into.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

I already have the repop dash pad, I have no idea who's it is but I got from Koch's when we were at Pomona a few months back.

I do plan on keeping the car, LOL. My guess is she will be wanting a "regular" car after a couple years, so then I'll take it back sice I don't have a street VW anymore and I'm sure I'll be wanting one by then.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Been working 12 hour nights for the last couple weeks so things slowed down quite a bit, had a couple hours today so I started installing the color matched fender beading I painted a few days ago. Got one fender completed today, 3 more to go.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Been working nights and haven't gotten much time to work on the SB, so tonight I took advantage of a slow night and sand blasted the stock wheels, primered them, and then played around with a couple colors. They looked good at Home Depot, but once I sprayed one of the wheels, I don't think it's the right color combo.
I wanted to go with an off white/cream color for the outer part of the wheel, and then a slightly darker blue than the body for the center. I think I missed both colors, LOL. The blue is too,,,, I don't know what, I guess, not the right shade, and the off white, is just a little too much "off". When I wake up in the AM, I'll throw the wheel up next to the car and see if looks better than my awesome photo shop job.

What do you guys think? Have any opinions on the colors or ideas I can play with?

This is kind of the look I'm after

1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

More Graveyard "work"

I'm working on getting the fresh air boxes ready to put back in.

After I sand blasted them they had some rusted out pin holes, so I busted out the fiberglass and put a little cloth and resin in them to seal them up.

Only one of them had what was the remnants of the screen on top, so I got some find Stainless Mesh here at work, and traced out the pattern. My plan is to use a heavy duty metal adhesive and lay these along the top instead of the stock plastic. I cut out two different mesh's to check them out. One is really really fine, but a little flimsy, the other is a little more sturdy.

I'm going to glue them in after the resin dries tonight and I get the boxes painted. I'll let ya know how they come out later this morning.

1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Got her dropped off for the headliner yesterday, should be done in a couple days so I'll post some pictures.

1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Haven't done any updates on here in a while but I've been making some good progress. I finally got the stock wheels done and tires put on it so I could finally roll it out of the garage.
Got the headliner all done, cleaned up the electrical and got everything but the high beams working, they won't turn off BTW. Got all the glass and trim in, cleaned and coated the gas tank, and got all of the new body rubber in.
We decided we are going with the dark red interior and my daughter chose to have the wheels color matched to the interior. Even though you can't see much of the red I actually like her idea, and I think it will look great when the interior is done.
I need to tie in some loose ends with turn signal level, and maybe that will fix the brights. New tie rods and fuel lines, get the brakes in order and it's time to drive it, maybe another month away from that, then order the I terior for the last step.
I'm kind of feeling like I dont want to give it to here now, LOL.

1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Ended up putting a new turn signal switch in today because the one that was in it had to be jiggled to get it to work on the left blinker. Took the time to clean up some more of the PO hacked up electrical, and Voila, everything works now, blinkers, hazards, and the high low beams.

Now onto the rest of the mechanical and getting this thing driving.

On a side note, does anyone want some crappy 8 spokes with tires that hold air so they can move their car around? Free ninety free!!
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Hoping somebody has an easy recomnendation for me.

I decided to rain test the car last night since it was finally pouring rain in So. Cal, and before the interior went in and I soaked the carpet.

I found a pretty good leak at the new windshield washer nozzle. Doesn't seem like I can do much here, except maybe silicone it and put it back in. Anyone got a nice fix for this?

Second leak was coming from the top of the rear hatch, it was pretty small and only had a couple drips, I'm thinking I just need to re-adjust the hatch to tighten up the seal on the rubber, thoughts?

Other than that, it was dry as can be.

Thanks.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Water can migrate and mask the true leak source. If those areas aren't the source, check out the VW document downloadable here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/vw_1500_water_leaks.php
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

leaks aside, the car is looking great
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Thats a cool document, I'm going to read thru it all.

It's definitely the leak source, I waited for it to start raining hard and layer down under the dash with a flash light till I found the first drop, it was clearly leaking around the spray nozzle, and quite a bit. If I hadn't watch it though, I would have thought it was somewhere else, because it dripped onto the wiper motor than rand down the wiper linkage and dripped under the fresh air vent.

Thanks Erik, I'm getting pretty excited, It will look even better after Xmas since I got her a rear bumper for under the tree.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Santa brought a new rear bumper!

1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
jeremydoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

dirtslinger wrote:
Santa brought a new rear bumper!

Yo Andy, did you buy the new rear bumper or have your original straighten and re-chromed? I noticed it didn't have the "period-correct" rear reverse lights like you did in the first few posts in this this thread, nor does it even have the holes to bolt them into(unless you somehow got them filled in).

Also, I'd be more than happy to pick up those wheels off your hands! Let me know bro.
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Well Jeremy, I gave ISP my old bumper as a core and bought this one, unfortunately when I unwrapped it yesterday to put it on for my daughter I noticed they gave me the wrong bumper. I prefer it without the back up lights, but my daughter wants it to have the reverse lights, so I need to take it back, but ISP seems to be closed today.

Someone already grabbed the wheels Saturday.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
jeremydoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Cool! I didn't know ISP takes parts as core. I'll have to check that out with some misc parts I have.
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Daughters first car, and my first Type 3. 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

I think it's only for bumpers.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: