Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shifter rod hanger broken
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
63vdubbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Shifter rod hanger broken Reply with quote

Can someone please give me suggestions about replacing the shift rod hanger? Do I cut out a small access way to get it out or do I cut it from up on top after removing the rod?

The bug gave me problems with shifting this weekend and when I pulled the shifter off, the hanger appeared to be broken in half.

Has anybody modified the hanger to be more stronger or made it work to use a different bushing? It looks like I can weld in a thick washer or something just to hold the rod and possibly use plastic/nylong bushings? just thinking/wondering if anybody has done it or should I just go buy the replacement?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter rod hanger broken Reply with quote

did you read thru this?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157519
and see this?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1740498
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63vdubbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter rod hanger broken Reply with quote

Thanks 60ragtop!... I just went through the entire thread and will be ordering a new shift rod hanger. 40 bucks is a lot of a bushing but then again, it's a set it and forget it type of deal.

I'm thinking of making a run to my local hardware shop to see if I can come up with something and making my own. Appreciate pointing me to the right direction!
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter rod hanger broken Reply with quote

Pay the $40.00, and be done with it.

Geoff
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter rod hanger broken Reply with quote

I am totally not convinced on the brass bushing. On the throttle shafts of a carb, totally for that. On the shift rod, where I already despise vibration and rattling? No way. I'll live with plastic myself.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter rod hanger broken Reply with quote

try this write up.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=543052&highlight=shift+rod+hanger

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
63vdubbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter rod hanger broken Reply with quote

Fellas, received the replacement shifter rod hanger from airheadparts last week and got to fixing over the weekend. Below is what I did.

Bought a bronze bushing from local hardware store. Bushing fits perfectly inside the new hanger and also fits perfectly over the shifter rod. Cost me $7 vs $40.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/URL]

Over the shifter rod:
[/URL]

Bushing inside the hanger:
[/URL]

I did trim the bushing down so the length matches the plastic bushing, which I also bought in case I couldn't find a bronze bushing that will work. Also, made some grooves, using a dremel for the C-clip to bite on to, and hold it in place. Then, I cleaned up rod with some prep & etch solution to remove the rust, and wash it down with some purple power. Rod is nice and shiny. Tested the fit to make sure the bushing can be pushed all the way through, and it did! no binding, but made sure plenty of lube.

[/URL]

Once test fit was complete, I moved inside the bug and started drilling out the spot welds. Then, weld her up with the bushing already in place inside of the hanger. Put the rod back in with some minor hammering.

The outside diameter of you bushing will depend on the replacement hanger or your original hanger. Am not sure how long this will last, but she shifts better than a new car. Smooth with no binding at all. Pretty happy with the results and future maintenance or replacing will be easier.

FYI - I love harbor freight as you can tell. Laughing. I have a mixed bag of american and chinese tools.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter rod hanger broken Reply with quote

Is there any rattle to the bushing and shift rod fitting?
63vdubbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter rod hanger broken Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Is there any rattle to the bushing and shift rod fitting?

Nope, I didn't hear any. I made sure it's a tight fit. The c-clip will hold it in place from moving in and out during shifting. I was also concern about rattling or vibration and thought about coating the hanger (where the bushing goes through) with rubber. The rubber will prevent any rattling or vibration. If vibration or rattling starts happening down the line, I will coat it with rubber. It's pretty easy to remove the c-clip and slide bushing out. The only challenge I see here is sliding out the rod since it's heavily greased.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter rod hanger broken Reply with quote

Thanks for the info AND the bushing part numbers .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
63vdubbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter rod hanger broken Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Thanks for the info AND the bushing part numbers .

NP... hoping I can help others here as everyone here is awesome with passing their knowledge and wisdom about these cars.
Scott65Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter rod hanger broken Reply with quote

I'm impressed. My hanger broke about a block from my house on my old 65 bug. Had to push it home. This was a few years back and when I started my then new project '66 bug I noticed the hanger was awfully thin so I had to fix that one as well. That whole stock bushing really is a POS. I like the idea you did,interested to see long term your thoughts of it's success. I believe the bushing you used looks much like the 911 shift rod bushing but the Porsche one is plastic or something like it while yours is bronze. I just keep that thing lubed now pretty often as prevention. It really is a PITA when the hanger breaks. Good work mate!
63vdubbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter rod hanger broken Reply with quote

Scott65Beetle wrote:
I'm impressed. My hanger broke about a block from my house on my old 65 bug. Had to push it home. This was a few years back and when I started my then new project '66 bug I noticed the hanger was awfully thin so I had to fix that one as well. That whole stock bushing really is a POS. I like the idea you did,interested to see long term your thoughts of it's success. I believe the bushing you used looks much like the 911 shift rod bushing but the Porsche one is plastic or something like it while yours is bronze. I just keep that thing lubed now pretty often as prevention. It really is a PITA when the hanger breaks. Good work mate!

Thanks bud... also interested how long this bushing will last. I will for sure keep it lubed. Will check on it in a few months and let you guys know how it's holding up.
BluzBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter rod hanger broken Reply with quote

Finally got around to making my own, started out a routine bushing replacement (nylon), then i figured ... why not. So i went to Applied Bearing and ordered to 2 Bronze Bushings (TOTAL 6.80) plus 2 snap rings (TOTAL, UNDER $1) .. did a little lathe work... and you can see the result. The extra one will go in my tool box for later .. sure beats $39.95 + 7.95 shipping. Seems like a snug fit, the snap ring holds it in place so there's no front/back movement.

63vdubbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter rod hanger broken Reply with quote

BluzBug wrote:
Finally got around to making my own, started out a routine bushing replacement (nylon), then i figured ... why not. So i went to Applied Bearing and ordered to 2 Bronze Bushings (TOTAL 6.80) plus 2 snap rings (TOTAL, UNDER $1) .. did a little lathe work... and you can see the result. The extra one will go in my tool box for later .. sure beats $39.95 + 7.95 shipping. Seems like a snug fit, the snap ring holds it in place so there's no front/back movement.

Very nice BluzBug! Wished I had a lathe. Did you get a chance to put it back in the car?
BluzBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter rod hanger broken Reply with quote

Bracket and Bushing going in (Wire Welded) Friday Afternoon ... will have completely back together by Saturday Afternoon Very Happy
63vdubbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter rod hanger broken Reply with quote

BluzBug - curious to hear how your install went and how do you like it?
BluzBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter rod hanger broken Reply with quote

Went Very Good. Welded in Friday, put all back together that afternoon. My 66 has a few bends in the Shaft, which cleared the Bronze Bushing with a very slight push & a twist. I reinstalled the Frt. Bumper, rear Seat, both Front Seats, and put new carpeting in the Front. Then came the "hard part, i have a Scat Dragfast Shifter, which is a PITA to get adjusted correctly, i was lucky the first time and nailed it. It Shifted great!! ... and was there some rattle?? NO!! I expect it'll last alot longer then the nylon one.

63vdubbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter rod hanger broken Reply with quote

Awesome!... that is one SWEET looking bug!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter rod hanger broken Reply with quote

I just have to wonder if the brass bushing wears, how would you replace it without cutting out the hanger and welding in a new one?

You assume it will last a lifetime, but without a bit of grease from time to time, wouldn't the bushing wear?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: