Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 Single Cab.. Frankenstein.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: 1960 Single Cab.. Frankenstein. Reply with quote

Well... I think I officially lost my marbles. This past weekend I traded my 1980 Rabbit pickup for a hot mess. A 1960 Single Cab. If you can still call it that. According to the guy I got it from, the PO built it for running on the sand. Did so and beat the ever living hell out of it. Some of the oddball stuff, they lifted the Cab like 6". This required a really messed up reconfiguration of all the pedals, the Steering wheel doesn't feel right and I am not even 100% sure this is the real subframe. I've never owned a 'bus' before so I know next to nothing about the bodies on these things. Oh, did I mention it's a flatbed, as in total ripped off rear original bed and replaced with a fabricated flatbed? Uhg. I really did myself in this time I think.

I am literally going to rip everything off this thing. It's too far gone to go back to "Stock" so I'll go flatbed again. Gonna take the Cab off, repair it (OMG!) and re-engineer the pedals so they work correctly and are in the right place...

I am probably going to keep the lifted cab, just re-do it so I am satisfied with it. I've seen the cable shift systems for VW's before. But that was for a mid-engine setup. I wonder if they have a cable system for a normally placed transaxle. I want to re-do everything so nothing goes down the middle (Cables/Shiftrods). I want it all going down the frame rails. So that means a Hydralic Clutch as well.

Would love any input anyone wants to give on Idea's and how to approach things. the cab is going to take extensive work. I've worked with metal for years but I've not done much finish body work. So I am sure to have many questions on how to restor at least the cab. This is going to take me a while ...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by RyanB on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Single Cab.. Rebuild? Reply with quote

i would go for a beer with the builder of the splitzgauer
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133&highlight=splitzgauer

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Single Cab.. Rebuild? Reply with quote

I am at a loss for words.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Single Cab.. Rebuild? Reply with quote

"Flex" much?!? Confused
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Single Cab.. Rebuild? Reply with quote

glideking wrote:
I am at a loss for words.
Kurt

Wow.
Are those are the original frame rails?
I assume that red plastic gas can crammed under the bed is the fuel tank.
Has the cab been raised or did they use some silly ass raised spindles?
Peeking under those sheets of diamond plate could be scary. Then again the diamond plate might be the only things keeping this creature from becoming a pretzel.
In my search for a single cab I looked at some some very scary hack jobs. This one is the absolute……..worst?

Get this one back safely back on the road and you might qualify for sainthood.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dmuis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Single Cab.. Rebuild? Reply with quote

If the dash, nose, and doors are original to the truck, it's a 62-early 64 model year, not 1960.
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Single Cab.. Rebuild? Reply with quote

Before anything, please make sure it gets posted here Laughing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=246480&highlight=freaks
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Single Cab.. Rebuild? Reply with quote

I don't want to come across as a negative nancy here, but for your own sanity I think I would sell it the way it sits and put love into something else. Another option is to throw a motor into it, get the brakes working and have some fun this car show season and then sell it. Sometimes I wish I just did that with my truck when I started.

But I seriously would not put too much time into this one.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RyanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Single Cab.. Rebuild? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:

Wow.
Are those are the original frame rails?

I *think* so. I spent most of yesterday looking at Glidekings restoration. The frame rails look similar. Though once I get the bed/Cab off I'll take closer pics.

OB Bus wrote:

I assume that red plastic gas can crammed under the bed is the fuel tank.
Has the cab been raised or did they use some silly ass raised spindles?

Yes, that gas can was a temporary solution to get it running. Certainly not to drive it. And yes, they raised the cab like 6" on some flat plate or something. I'll take some pics of it this weekend. Plan this weekend is to get the bed and cab removed.

OB Bus wrote:

Peeking under those sheets of diamond plate could be scary. Then again the diamond plate might be the only things keeping this creature from becoming a pretzel.
In my search for a single cab I looked at some some very scary hack jobs. This one is the absolute……..worst?

Yea. I really dont know what I was thinking when I decided to trade. I saw a lot of cheese/cancer. All those diamond plates will be removed before I take the cab off and then I'll get a true feel for just how bad it is...

OB Bus wrote:

Get this one back safely back on the road and you might qualify for sainthood.

Thanks. Though to be fair, it's still going to be a freak. I like the oddball stuff which is what drew me to the truck. I'll do my best to restore the cab. But I'll most likely borrow some other flatbed from another truck or completely rework this one. Previous poster mentioned "Flex much". Yes, this is going to require a ton of reinforcing but it absolutely flexes all over the place.
RyanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Single Cab.. Rebuild? Reply with quote

dmuis wrote:
If the dash, nose, and doors are original to the truck, it's a 62-early 64 model year, not 1960.

Title says it's a 1960. I dunno. Totally new here to the Bus scene. been doing bugs and rabbots now for years, but this should be fun. VIN is 614532.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Single Cab.. Rebuild? Reply with quote

RyanB wrote:
dmuis wrote:

Title says it's a 1960. I dunno. Totally new here to the Bus scene. been doing bugs and rabbits now for years, but this should be fun. VIN is 614532.

looks like may 60 by vin number

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Single Cab.. Rebuild? Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
I don't want to come across as a negative nancy here, but for your own sanity I think I would sell it the way it sits and put love into something else. Another option is to throw a motor into it, get the brakes working and have some fun this car show season and then sell it. Sometimes I wish I just did that with my truck when I started.

But I seriously would not put too much time into this one.

Shut the FUCK UP Nancy, What the FUCK do you know about welding a Singlecab back together from a Rusty pile o' POO ?? Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Take lots of pics !! I wonder if taking off all the diamond plate will make it flex more out of shape ? Was that "truck" in the Bus Hunting History thread ??

For those don't get the joke, I'm amazed @ the work John/Schwing is doing on his Singlecab Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Huetti_1989
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Single Cab.. Rebuild? Reply with quote

....never say no.

In a Country everything is possible and you only need a engine and brakes to drive around its possible to build a cheap funcar, or not??
When you don´t try it you never know if you can make it.

But Schwing say it right make you a money or/ and time Limit.

-Christian
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757182
My 1954 Deutsche Bundespost Barndoor:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621802
My 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westfalia:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716285
My 1991 Westfalia California:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650751
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Single Cab.. Rebuild? Reply with quote

Huetti_1989 wrote:
....never say no.

In a Country everything is possible and you only need a engine and brakes to drive around its possible to build a cheap funcar, or not??

He is right. You really should never say no, I guess I just wanted you to know what lies ahead. I'll be pullin for ya if you're crazy enough to push forward.

crukab wrote:

Shut the FUCK UP Nancy, What the FUCK do you know about welding a Singlecab back together from a Rusty pile o' POO ?? Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Very little cause I aint done yet! Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RyanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Single Cab.. Frankenstein. Reply with quote

So I got a little bit of a head start on the weekend with this awesome weather here in Oregon. Spent a few hours taking things apart. Everything always comes apart more quickly than it goes back together it seems... Oh, and I think I'll name it Frankie...

I've removed the extraordinarily crappy flatbed.

This makes me curious. There is a linkage part that comes forward. I've never seen anything like it before, but ive never owned a bus before. Looking at many other pics ive not run across it yet though.

Removed the rear diamond plate. Ohhh boy.

Yes, your seeing that right. Redneck engineering. Those are wood pieces in there for some reason along with the flat bat holding the cab up. Wow.

Removed the side diamond plate. The cab is sitting back from what I can see. I need to decide if I am going to re-engineer moutning points to keep the cab lifted or try to bring it back dow nto the stock location.
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Single Cab.. Frankenstein. Reply with quote

That linkage is typical of all air cooled VWs. It is a spring plate and torsion bar suspension. Yours has a fabricated radius arm we call an IRS independent rear suspension. You are having fun. We are too. That is all that is important.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Single Cab.. Frankenstein. Reply with quote

That doesn't appear to be the subframe for a regular bus. That might not even be a VW engine. It almost seems like a Corvair van setup.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Single Cab.. Frankenstein. Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
That doesn't appear to be the subframe for a regular bus. That might not even be a VW engine. It almost seems like a Corvair van setup.

It's a type 3. Wink
RyanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Single Cab.. Frankenstein. Reply with quote

glideking wrote:
Yours has a fabricated radius arm we call an IRS independent rear suspension.
Kurt

I attribute IRS suspension with 69+ Bugs and whatnot. Earlier are Swingaxle.

The part I quoted is what I was interested in. a Fabricated Radius Arm? Interesting. That is the part I've not seen before.

As far as I can tell, this is a Single Cab Sumbframe, I think.

Yes, it is a type 3 motor. Very Happy
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Single Cab.. Frankenstein. Reply with quote

Almost looks like a home made 'Johnson no hop' kit. They appear to have lifted rear by modifying spring plates to go around axle tubes vs. stock bolting to back of rgb housing. Can't tell from posted pictures what else is happening.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: