Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 bus subaru conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Don't listen to the haters. I think what you are doing is cool. We do not all have to restore these buses back to stock. Just because the frame was built a certain way back 50 years ago does not mean it can not be done a different way and still support the bus. The bus you are doing is not a rare bus so do it your way and have fun with it. The work you are doing appears to be top quality, so carry on and know that other people are watching your progress and enjoying your posts.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

I agree, don't listen to haters. But most of the posters on this thread are merely expressing concern regarding execution. Many of them have more experience with this particular vehicle than the OP. I don't think ANY of the questions asked would be any different if the asker was in Stanley's shop looking at his work.
This thread got off to a rough start which seems to have abated. Props to Stanley for coming back and showing his work. I hope he doesn't equate curiousity and/or concern for negativity. If you want to see the standard for negativity check out the Boxrod topic. Now, that guy had a thick skin!

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
This thread got off to a rough start which seems to have abated. Props to Stanley for coming back and showing his work. I hope he doesn't equate curiousity and/or concern for negativity. If you want to see the standard for negativity check out the Boxrod topic. Now, that guy had a thick skin!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

that's the exact same bus i though when i read about negativity...
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Stanleyn wrote:
I definitely know how this bus is put together for I have cut all the old stuff out.I have taken all asspects of this build into consideration and feel 100% confident it will be as strong as or stronger than original.I definitely know about chassis and ect. as I build all my own chassis.I am actually building stronger than original rails.I thought that salvaging this old bus and sharing this build on this site would be a positive thing ,but so far a lot of negativity.While in Flordia for the winter,knowing I was going to start this build when I got home I looked at a lot of old buses that were on the road and by the looks of a lot of them it wont take much to be stronger and definitely safer.

cru62 wrote:
... most of the posters on this thread are merely expressing concern regarding execution. Many of them have more experience with this particular vehicle than the OP. I don't think ANY of the questions asked would be any different if the asker was in Stanley's shop looking at his work.
This thread got off to a rough start which seems to have abated. Props to Stanley for coming back and showing his work. I hope he doesn't equate curiousity and/or concern for negativity.

No negativity or offense meant at least on my part, just concern. Do carry on. Cool
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Keep the pics coming, Your build has over 5200 views.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanleyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Okay heres todays work.All the Xmembers ar installed and the inner rockers set .I guess curiosity and concern is alright.This is a father/son project that We are getting a lot of enjoyment out of.I've been in the automotive life for many,many years and always try to find positive notes on anybodys projects..I can assure you this will end up as a very high end VW .All of our tastes are different and that's what makes life go round.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Did you decide which engine/trans combo you will be using?

Stanleyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

I'm acquiring the rear clip out of a 69 bus.This is what i'm going to start with.My plans are to graft in the clip then go from there.I know there is some difference in width but i'll look at that when I get the clip.After I get that all set and the body finished I plan on a Subaru engine. I love to make things different and try to improve on the original.As I said before this is the first VW and not a good one to start with,but its a challenge and a fun project with my Son.This is His dream and I hope we can make it come true.Also I'm acquiring a front end assy from a 1971 bus.This has the disc brakes so I'm hoping we can use that.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Stanleyn wrote:
Also I'm acquiring a front end assy from a 1971 bus.This has the disc brakes so I'm hoping we can use that.

An early phatchick beam will bolt right on and will take later disc brake spindles. Done that on my '65 Dormy, and added the disc spindles to the '68 Plump Truck as well. Saves you on having to modify that at least. Cool
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

If you are planning on all late model suspension now would be an ideal time to dial in your ride height. If your boy wants a stock height bus you are golden. If, however, he wants it lowered to any degree using late model (i.e.-IRS and/or balljoint beam) it will involve more work on an early bus. Raising the rear cradle would be an easy solution at the rear. The front will be a different story.

How low you want to go will be determined by the front seat and suspension geometry. A balljoint beam is huge limiting factor, which is why slammed fat chick buses often swap in earlier beams. Since you have the freedom to modify anything, you could raise the frame to use a late beam. You may need to narrow the beam and tub the wheel wells to make everything fit. You can also relocate some bolt holes so the late beam will bolt right in.

The late IRS section is the same width as that originally in your bus. There are ways to narrow the torsion housing a couple of inches overall that will allow additional mods including wider tires.

Good Luck! But I see some head scratching in your future. You might want to have the engine/trans setup in hand before you tackle the rear suspension. It will be easier by far to make everything fit together now rather than making the engine/trans fit in the space/design you already built.

PS-What about a completely new Mustang 2-style front end. Since you can clean out the front suspension mounts you wouldn't be constrained by the current frame width and mounting points. You could have the best of both worlds. Huh? Or even, buggy-style straight-axle! Twisted Evil

brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

There is a change in swingarm design for bay buses. I do not know the date the change took place.

I have 1968 swingarms installed on my bus. I tried 1975 swingsarms first will ill results.

Pic of different style swingarms side-by-side.

My 59 kombi build.

My buggy build.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanleyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

My plans are to graft the entire rear clip from a 1969.I know they are widerand for sure I don't know what other problems this will all create.The other part of my conversion will be to install airbags.I will be getting the rear clip at the end of the month.The bus has to be low.Is there adjusters for the 71 front beam.I would really like to use the 71 disc bralke and ball joint.pyroman says there is a beam available for this
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Get the beam from the '69, too. If it is an early '69 it will bolt right up. All the disc brake stuff including the trailing arms will interchange. But probably your best bet would be to have a new beam built to your specs. It will need to be raised and narrowed. Your may even need to use dropped spindles depending on how low you want to go. You will also want to raise the steering box. Even with a lowered bus the box seems to drag on everything. If you are slammed it is a guarantee.
Here is my old '62 DC-

Here is how it looks now-
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=917872388273...tif_t=wall
It is all '73 Bus running gear. I made adjustable spring plates. The rear trailing arms were hacked into the wishbones instead of narrowed. Torsion housing was stock width. I have a '68 complete rear clip for my '61 Kombi. It's the same width from outside face of drum to drum as the stock RGB set up.
The front was an early stock width '69 beam with '73 arms, etc. I installed drop spindles from Old Speed for a two in. greater drop. That is the most drop you can get due to interference with the rim and BJs. The beam also had adjusters. At full drop, adjusters and spindles, with about 1.5" of travel the box dragged on every driveway if I wasn't careful. It rode and drove really well. In the pic the rear hasn't been adjusted to match the front. And this was adjusters only, no spindles. Spindles add width to your front. While it was great to drive, every driveway, gutter and speed bump was an issue. The tires rubbed a lot.

I was getting ready to build a narrowed beam, raise the box and fix some issues with the rear before I had to sell it. Anyway, you will be happier if you consult with someone like Nate at WagensWest to build you what you want or at least discuss HOW to get what you want.

Last edited by cru62 on Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:22 am; edited 2 times in total
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Are you going IRS. I have a whole modified rear set up I will sell you.. Came off my camper..
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
Stanleyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Turned up to do a little panel work.Good to look at it from a different viewgoing to take a little break and take the hotrod to the Syracuse nationals and then to allagash for a canoe trip.

brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

If you go with a balljoint beam. Dropped spindles will be needed to keep the balljoint geometry correct.

Also the later brake calipers and rotors can be bought at a ORileys parts store.

My 59 kombi build.

My buggy build.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
I agree, don't listen to haters.

X2

you look like you're doing some pretty nice work. as a guy who habitually swaps Subaru's into bay windows, I can relate with the hate. just enjoy grabbing a hand full of second and doing hills at 70+.

the sweet spot in a bay is about 80. not sure on a split. had mine up to 115, with more to go but a cross wind came, walked me into the travel lane and that was a code brown moment. respect the power and you'll be just fine Cool

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Stanleyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Back off vacation and back at the bus.Rear corner inner and outer panels installed

Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

do you have any plan for the rear lights?
Stanleyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Thinking of a very mild frenched 37 ford led
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: