Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

disc brake conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable beam & disc brake conversion Reply with quote

sam_w wrote:
Oh Dear, They arrived and will not fit. I have lifted spindles and they don't bolt on.
I guess I have to get an adjustable beam, to have discs and be lifted.
Is an adjustable beam available for a Thing, and is it different to a beetle one?

If the stock drums bolted onto your lifted spindles, why won't the discs? Can you specify why they will not fit?
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I'd guess it has to do with the arm coming off for the tie rod connection. the addition of a caliper bracket with the discs, compounds this.
Just a theory, no direct experience with lifted spindles... Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are my 3" lifted spindles next to the originals
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, but my new question is, "Are thing beams different?". Can I use a beetle adjustable beam?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Sam,
Yes, a Bug adjustable beam will work. The Thing beam is only different because of added material to strengthen the shock towers and then the addition of the pan supports down below..

You can have a bug adjustable beefed up just the same(or better) to handle your excursions!!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

As Joe said Beetle will work. Why not have adjusters installed in your Thing beam? This way you still have the extra braces. Why won't the brakes work?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I bought a new beam from the Thing shop and did not want to cut it. I stupidly sold/gave my old beam away. I now know to keep all Thing parts forever.

I did call JBugs and they will take the parts back, so I have to decide whether to stay with drums, or go to an adjustable beam with discs.

I will also look at making a bracket to put the discs on my Doug Fuller raised spindles. If that works I will let people know how to do it.
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Talk to Locky. He used AC industry discs. I'm in the same boat as you. Something has to work.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Kubelmann had adapter plates to mount the caliper. Vince made them years ago. Have you tried Mike Basso? Will one of the companies make a set of raised disc spindles?
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

thanks, will try
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

did not digest all the posts here. just adding my experience

I have 2" raised spindles made by BCR. I am running AC Industries wide 5 disk brake conversion with no problem. I have been running for couple years.

with that said, she is a weekend driver and definitely have not put her through the paces Sam that you have with yours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThingOw181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Hi Sam,

I wonder if a different style of disc brake would work for you.

CNC is one brand that came to mind. They use a bolt on type caliper rather than the sliding calipers on cast brackets like the EMPI kit.

http://www.cncbrakes.com/dbk.asp?grp=dbk&subgrp=f&series=654&subseries=

Something like that may give you the clearance you need as the brackets will be much smaller.

They're about double the price of the EMPI stuff unfortunately, but I believe they have a good racing reputation.

Hope that helps.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I believe the CSP brakes would work as well, but they are much more expensive. Maybe look into those brackets that Vince used to make/sell.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Well, I just punted for now.
I got my local VW shop to change all the drum brakes and fix the pulling I had.
The main problem was that one of the rear flexible hoses was blocked, causing the Thingster to pull like crazy. The front shoes were cracked and everything else was OK.
Adam put it all together and also replaced the front shocks with new pistons and hoses.

The only problem is that the brake pedal is not really hard, but it stops fine. We think that the shoes and drums are not well matched in radius.
I am told the the shoe radiusing machine is illegal in California. It is an attachment to a drum sander that you arc the shoes until the radius matches the drum.
Anybody used one of these?
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Back in the early 80's I worked at a VW shop here in Victorville, CA and we radiused all our shoes on VW's. I still do not have lung cancer. Lucky I guess. Yes it makes a difference on how the shoes make contact.
GB
lqqkatjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I suspect other brake adjustment issues.

but you can always buy your own:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ammco-Brake-Shoe-Grinder-8...mp;vxp=mtr

Yes, the government does not like those anymore.... but you can still find a few around if you start asking the right people.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, but $355 is a bit much for a one time use.

I was told, "drive 300 miles and readjust'

Maybe the shoes & drums will then match.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: