Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

50 Standard Seat Padding?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: 50 Standard Seat Padding? Reply with quote

Does anyone have details and hopefully a picture of what the correct seat padding for my 50 standard should be?

Someone many years ago recovered my seats, and under the covers I found a combination of padding materials, none of which looks original.

Thanks!
beetlekey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 50 Standard Seat Padding? Reply with quote

50Splitman wrote:
Does anyone have details and hopefully a picture of what the correct seat padding for my 50 standard should be?

Someone many years ago recovered my seats, and under the covers I found a combination of padding materials, none of which looks original.

Thanks!

I can make them if you still need them.
It is made of wool.

If you are searching for vintage keys, look here:
https://www.facebook.com/WagenmanufakturHO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 Standard Seat Padding? Reply with quote

I think he is talking about the padding under the upholstery. I myself wondered if the coco pads "horse hair" that Wolfsburg West sells for 56-64 beetles along with cotton batting would give an early seat the correct shape and feel. My 52 standard had the seats recovered but in my opion they don't have the proper shape/feel and the covers fit too loose.
(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
1961 L-380 Turkis Deluxe Beetle
1985 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (work in progress - EG33 swap)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlekey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: 50 Standard Seat Padding? Reply with quote

Low Bräu wrote:
I think he is talking about the padding under the upholstery. I myself wondered if the coco pads "horse hair" that Wolfsburg West sells for 56-64 beetles along with cotton batting would give an early seat the correct shape and feel. My 52 standard had the seats recovered but in my opion they don't have the proper shape/feel and the covers fit too loose.

They only have cocopads 1955 and up.
Standardseats have woolpadding under the fabric.
I do a set for him.

If you are searching for vintage keys, look here:
https://www.facebook.com/WagenmanufakturHO
mr magyar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 Standard Seat Padding? Reply with quote

Hi,

Here are some photos of the seats from my '49 Standard after the original outer fabric had been removed. There's a layer of the brown sacking like material against the springs, then the grey wirey padding (synthetic horsehair?), another layer of the sacking and finally a layer of the soft, thick grey padding which I think in the UK it's known as shoddy.
I have more photos if you need them for reference.

Cheers,
Andy.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: