Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vent crankcase to carb
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: vent crankcase to carb Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
Modok, funny that was the first emission device. Hose into air cleaner, then came the PVC valve. Now we have HAL from the Movie 2001.

Simple but in a normally aspired Rabbit Diesel you can die from direct Crank Vent to Case. Diesels do not have and ignition to shut and even if the FI was off it will still run from the mist.
Happened to me the Engine ran away, it thought the mist was fuel and my car went from 60 I went to 90 and climbing. I knew if I shut it off and turned the key all the way the steering would lock so that was out. Lucky the road was clear and then it went back to normal and I was able to shut it down safe. Called the dealer and they said it was a big recall and several engines blow when the owners put them in natural.

They gave me a check valve gizo, done.

PVC is plastic tubing that I use for my sprinklers, PCV is an abreviation for "positive crankcase ventilation" small difference! Sorry, I just had to bust some balls for no reason Very Happy Very Happy

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: vent crankcase to carb Reply with quote

My dad has been gone for many years and he gave me my first car back in 1965 a 1956 Buick Special V8. It had a massive blowby problem it smoked out the tail pipe really bad.

His fix was Garden Hose from holes he made in each Valve Cover to the 4 barrel Carb. Amazingly the tail pipe smoke was gone. I guess it sucked it out the crankcase so it could not get into the cylinders.

Not PVC RUBBER ha. Sprinkler stuff, ha.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: vent crankcase to carb Reply with quote

old thread revived;

I am adding a breather box to my 1835 engine.. I have the box , sponge foam insert and two vents. I need to know I am doing it right- drill the front of the right side valve cover..run two hoses to the box. Anything else?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: vent crankcase to carb Reply with quote

Alan,
I'm doing this too so I will be interested to see.
MY understanding is two vents, forward top of valve covers, up to box and hose from tower up to box. Seems like a lot of dang hoses tho. Maybe there is a trick??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: vent crankcase to carb Reply with quote

I dunno - my daily driver has had a 1/2" vent hose directly to the bottom of the air cleaner for 50k miles now. I have run similar setups on American engines for long periods.

I have never seen any problem, partially because the vent hose typically runs uphill so that liquid oil isn't run thru the carb, only oil mist (velocity of air flow not sufficient to carry liquid oil uphill), and any liquid oil drains back to the crankcase.

There used to be aftermarket kits to inject oil such as Marvel Mystery Oil into the intake system, to purportedly lube valve stems and rings. I never heard any negative feedback, other than questions about its true effectiveness...
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: vent crankcase to carb Reply with quote

You'll be fine running it through the carb. If your sucking heavy oil mist you have other bigger problems. It will dirty your air cleaner some, more as your engine gets tired.

I ditched my breather box after a line came off and sand got in it. The samba will tell you to use AN fittings and braided hose, but that cost more than a new set of jugs and rings.

Lots of overthinking around here. If you built an engine everyone here though was perfect you could build 3 good motors with the same money.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
vw moses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: vent crankcase to carb Reply with quote

i don't get any "oily mist" in my carbs Cool
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

62 beetle-gone
57 beetle-gone
convertable-beetle-w/bugspray & screamer dist.(019) gone
"Where There's a Will There's a Way"
63 one of a kind beetle. 57 dash,double rear window--sweet!
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: vent crankcase to carb Reply with quote

vw moses wrote:
i don't get any "oily mist" in my carbs Cool
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Shame on you OBVIOUSLY YOU DID IT WRONG! Not talking

Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
vw moses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: vent crankcase to carb Reply with quote

well to be clear in my case, i got new rings, plus honed the clynders.
on a older mtr. with a lot of bloback it might not be a good idea espically if smoke comes out the crankase vent tube. Wink
62 beetle-gone
57 beetle-gone
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: vent crankcase to carb Reply with quote

vw moses wrote:
on a older mtr. with a lot of bloback it might not be a good idea espically if smoke comes out the crankase vent tube.
Speak to the hand Air-cooled VWs don't do that! Not talking

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
vw moses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: vent crankcase to carb Reply with quote

i don't mind some micro oil particles getting to the valves.
sort of like having a marvel mystery oil injection system'.
of course in moderation!
62 beetle-gone
57 beetle-gone
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: vent crankcase to carb Reply with quote

Skulptorchaz wrote:
Alan,
I'm doing this too so I will be interested to see.
MY understanding is two vents, forward top of valve covers, up to box and hose from tower up to box. Seems like a lot of dang hoses tho. Maybe there is a trick??

seems correct though I see a lot of posts about not venting the 3,4 side..my vents came yesterday, I just have to get the hoses.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: vent crankcase to carb Reply with quote

I run a turbo/FI system, and because the entire intake system is under pressure during boost, I run a breather box. And even running a NA system, I always use a breather box. I don't like the idea of an oily mist of air, entering the intake anywhere.

A breather box is cheap, and easy to plumb.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: vent crankcase to carb Reply with quote

I always used to run both valve cover's and Gen stand to a breather box with drain back, basically for the last 40 years. But I switched as an experiment on some big motors to 3/4" ID from Alt stand and case to a vented catch can with no drain back. I drain a few tablespoons out of it every 500 miles or more because I do not want it going back to the motor with a drain back. I have found no need to even drain it that often even with occasional blasts up to 7k. I have found though if you mount a poor breather box on the firewall even with drain back, you just might forget to do a PM on it and in turn it will pay you back with oil coming out and being sucked up by the fan and blown all over your motor. This sometimes results in instant smokebombs for your fellow travelers driving behind you and perpetuates the myth of old vw's being oil leakers.
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: vent crankcase to carb Reply with quote

I vent to the exhaust on my HP engines with a v-8 style crankcase evac system. Works well as long as you use a straight through style muffler. I built my dad's turbo setup to use no breather box, and went to the exhaust for venting. Worked very well, he drove it from Elko, NV to Sacramento, CA on the highway without any issues. Kept the engine bay nice and tidy as well.

I only vent out the alternator stand, I leave the valve covers alone.

On my black car, I run a vacuum pump. I have a valves automatically drain the catch can back to the engine and pump bypassed when rpm and throttle go below a preset limit. Works well, allowing me to run a vacuum pump system on the street without starving the rings of oil during normal operation causing undue wear. The catch can itself acts as the breather during normal operation and just vents to atmosphere normally.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
Jay Laifman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: vent crankcase to carb Reply with quote

FWIW, in the Porsche 356 and 912 world, people feel pretty strongly that venting to the air cleaners is beneficial to the engine by reducing pressure in the case.
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: vent crankcase to carb Reply with quote

I always thought they went from the road tube to the air cleaner because of some kind of EPA crap.
Jay Laifman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: vent crankcase to carb Reply with quote

That is probably true. But I think people tend to miss the point of that tube. I see some people say that it is a "down pipe". But another phrase for it is "draft tube." The point being that the tube is below the engine and as the car is moving, air is flowing under the car, which creates a suction in the pipe. This has an increased pull of the pressure out of the crank case.

That's what the hoses to the carbs are supposed to do.

I see lots of folks using catch cans and breather boxes that have no additional source of suction. I don't see how adding a couple feet of hoses and a small container, even with an opening to the atmosphere, equates to the suction caused by the *draft* tube or carbs.

I guess it is a question of just how much reduction in pressure someone wants in their case. I do not know of studies that show how much is needed to really make a difference on the performance and longevity of hte engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: