Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drag harrow through horse arena with VW
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

I have been thinking of getting a used ATV to drag the harrow through the horse arena, the lawn tractor tires just spin in the sand/dirt even though it can pull that harrow over regular dirt. So far we have been borrowing an ATV from the neighbor, taking advantage of his neighborly actions.

Anyway, yesterday, tried out something we already had yesterday to pull that harrow, our 1998 4-cylinder, 2WD 5-speed Frontier with 207K miles on it, did a nice job, did not get stuck; regular all-season tires, no weight added to truck bed either.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So now I'm thinking that maybe I should fix up my currently un-used 1970 VW to do this job, that would get even better traction as the weight is directly over the drive wheels; might need to find a hitch to bolt onto the VW though, don't think bumper would be strong enough.

I know this idea will spark some controversy here as many here feel old VWs should be fixed up and road driven (which I would still do), but this might be a good job for my oldest VW to do. So far all I've done to get it going again is to lube the door and window hardware this week. But I have a goal to get this running by year's end now that I'm "retired".

Edit: it looks like tow hitches for these are still available new (CURT Class 1 Fixed-Tongue Trailer Hitch #11652) for about $175 shipped or maybe I can find one in Classifieds or at a swap meet.
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1657674683...8wII1AEwAA
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena Reply with quote

Ford N series,you can get them cheap...
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena Reply with quote

Absolutely, there's nothing cheaper than a vehicle that you already have. That beetle would love to be your work horse, they were work horses before they became "collectibles" & it's not like you're trying to clear stumps & saplings with it. And I would think that it would be a better ride than the truck, tractor, or the 4wheeler.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena Reply with quote

Yep use the old 70 as a tow vehicle, it will love it Wink Here is the Bonneville Pit Bug, goes there twice a year when they are racing.
probably find a used hitch at a vw swap.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena Reply with quote

And I can keep a VW alive way easier than some ATV for which I'd be 100% inexperienced.

On the other hand, I've done pretty well learning lawn mower, lawn tractor, jacuzzi, above ground pool, ice machine, washer & dryer repairs, my other vehicles...just as long as there's no mouse and keyboard !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

The only thing I love seeing more than a Volkswagen, is a Volkswagen being used for something cool or useful. This falls into both!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with awakening it for some work, likely better for it than sitting.

Have you considered tire chains for the lawn tractor?, my decrepid 50 year old John Deere 110 harrows the wifes arena pretty good with it's (used to be) 8Hp. Bogs down in the puffy parts if it's damp but smaller bites gets it done, rarely spins the tires with the chains on.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Have you considered tire chains for the lawn tractor?, my decrepid 50 year old John Deere 110 harrows the wifes arena pretty good with it's (used to be) 8Hp. Bogs down in the puffy parts if it's damp but smaller bites gets it done, rarely spins the tires with the chains on.

Yes, have thought of that, didn't have any input from anyone who tried this.

I also thought of sand-type tires to replace the original tires, that would be like $200 minimum just to try. My lawn tractor is supposedly 20 hp.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

I just shortened a set of snow chains I had kicking around, I guess they don't come free in the trunk of every old used car/truck you find in AZ like they do here? Very Happy

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

The lawn tractor does not travel very fast, and several passes would need to be made. So I just think that in reality it would be too slow.

I'll likely move ahead with the VW idea; with retirement, was thinking of working on that after summer ends (October, it is Arizona), but think I'll move the timetable up.

First thing is tires for that 1970 VW, maybe find a set of somewhat wider wheels for the rear...not going to cut the fenders though....
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

No need for different wheels, it's common to put 215/75/15 BFGs on the stock ones.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
No need for different wheels, it's common to put 215/75/15 BFGs on the stock ones.

Really, didn't know that? Thanks, I'll look into that, at least for the rear, as the tires are at least 25 years old and flat right now !!! That 1970 has the stock wheels. Is BFG BF Goodrich?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

Yes sir, do a search in HBB off-road for class11 & several will come up. Dustymojave suggests that's it's the usual tire (but some tire shops may not want to install them.). Someone just had some installed & the first shop declined but the next was willing to accept his money.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

Hmmmmm......, got me thinking about a shorty singlecab I've got out behind the barn, my tractor could out cool your tractor Laughing

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Hmmmmm......, got me thinking about a shorty singlecab I've got out behind the barn, my tractor could out cool your tractor Laughing

THAT is the perfect use of every shorty ever made Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Yes sir, do a search in HBB off-road for class11 & several will come up. Dustymojave suggests that's it's the usual tire (but some tire shops may not want to install them.). Someone just had some installed & the first shop declined but the next was willing to accept his money.

Yeah. Legal liability scares a lot of businesses these days.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

You can run a 235/75/15 on a stock wheel. That's gonna be the coolest lawn mower west of the Mississippi.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

OK, dumb question: what is the width of a stock 1970 beetle wheel?

And is 1971 the same?

I think I'll have trouble finding a place to install wider tires than "a book" states.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

Hey, Cusser-------I been thinkin' about this all afternoon here.
So yer lookin' for a way to pull a harrow around a horse arena?

Why not get yerself a nice, sturdy HORSE to pull it?
Maybe one of them Clydesdales like pull that beer wagon.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
OK, dumb question: what is the width of a stock 1970 beetle wheel?

And is 1971 the same?

I think I'll have trouble finding a place to install wider tires than "a book" states.

4"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: