Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drag harrow through horse arena with VW
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

I think 4.5", if you look between the lugs, you should see 4.5J X 15 (I think that's correct.). That "4.5" is the width of the rim. You may be able to convince them easier if you tell them the purpose that you intend to use them & it off road use only.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Hey, Cusser-------I been thinkin' about this all afternoon here.
So yer lookin' for a way to pull a harrow around a horse arena?

Why not get yerself a nice, sturdy HORSE to pull it?
Maybe one of them Clydesdales like pull that beer wagon.

From what I heard horses ain't much for pullin. Kinda lazy.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=290228&postorder=desc
Here's one of the threads. Brian just recently picked up the bug from AZbugs, on the last page, Mr Bill posts pics of his (green & white) class11 with I think the 235/75/15 & Brian scaled back to the 215/75/15. And, enjoyther1de has a nice class 11 (style?) with some no longer available 700x15.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

I have the perfect factory hitch for that car. If we were in closer proximity, I would gladly hand it over to you for this purpose. They are pretty common, so could likely be found at a swap meet in your area. If you don't mind a little modification, you could just remove your rear bumper and bolt a big chunk of channel iron between the brackets, wrap the tow chain around it, and drag away!

You won't need big, expensive tires. Find some stock-ish size used snow tires from up North. Maybe a 205/75R15.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Hey, Cusser-------I been thinkin' about this all afternoon here.
So yer lookin' for a way to pull a harrow around a horse arena?

Why not get yerself a nice, sturdy HORSE to pull it?
Maybe one of them Clydesdales like pull that beer wagon.

Yeah..... I tried that angle as well, went over like a fart in a spacesuit Confused I figured I could use it as a write off like other farm equipment, but it seems unless it can jump over things or look cute just pulling around a harrow isn't worth the shovelling, vet bills and bi-monthly shoe change. Nice try, if you find the magic formula to truly satisfy a horse girl please let the rest of us know Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
No need for different wheels, it's common to put 215/75/15 BFGs on the stock ones.

1. My 1970 stock wheels are 4 inches wide x 15 inches. I talked to a couple of local tire places today. One says the won't do because 1970 VW is not in their computer list. One suggested 195/60R15 which seems fine for me for the rear, but I was wondering if these would rub if I went this size on the front? Online software http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.do shows my old tires 165/80R15 to have sidewall section (width) of 6.5 inches where the 195-60R15 or 195/65R15 would be 7.68 inches. If that side would rub in the front I can get 165/80R15 locally http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/searchTiresBySize...amp;cs=165

2. I've contacted two Samba classifieds to inquire about tow hitches advertised here.

3. Someone suggested fabricating a bar and attaching to the bumper brackets....need to consider that. What about a chain hooked over the top of a pair of Nerf Bars?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

The first number in the tire is the width of the tread, the second number is the aspect ratio, 60 would be 60% of whatever the first number is so you can do the math & get pretty close to what the tire is that came on your car. 195/60/15 is going to be a shorter tire than the 195/65/15. Try getting just a pair of the widest that they will agree to install (or find that independent that will accept cash) & see how it clears in the front, if they don't then put them on the rear & run the stock up front. The 215 & 235/75s are used on cars that have been lifted so that's another thing to take into consideration but that's about the smallest mud terrain tire available.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

I wouldn't rely strictly on the bumper brackets to drag all that equipment, even if they were in good shape, they're only sheet metal & probably wouldn't hold up long to the stresses.

enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

How's about something like this.... I put a cargo rack on it and can jump up and down on it. It has Been used to drag a gantry crane as well as a recovery point when stuck.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

^^^ that would be perfect.

Cusser, I believe you are overthinking this. A harrow is not that heavy (I have drug them around many times with various vehicles) and your bug will do just fine with the power and traction available.

Build up some sort of hitch bumper thing, get some near-stock sized rear tires with a traction tread, and yank that damn thing around like a scarf.

Take the tires and wheels to a small independent tire shop, pay them cash, and move on.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

Not sure exactly where you are located in Hot Arizona, but a quick CL search found these... http://tucson.craigslist.org/wto/5540169407.html

And these... http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/wto/5541312788.html
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Studded tires in Phoenix? What will they think of next?

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Studded tires in Phoenix? What will they think of next?

I have a friend up here who has said many times that one day, he will load up all of his shit in the truck, and keep driving south until someone asks why he has nails in his tires. When that happens, he knows he has gone far enough.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

cdennisg - I sent you a PM.

cdennisg wrote:
Cusser, I believe you are overthinking this. A harrow is not that heavy (I have drug them around many times with various vehicles) and your bug will do just fine with the power and traction available.

Build up some sort of hitch bumper thing, get some near-stock sized rear tires with a traction tread, and yank that damn thing around like a scarf.

Take the tires and wheels to a small independent tire shop, pay them cash, and move on.

That above is my plan. Since the tires are 25+ years old anyway, can get 2 of 165/80R15 for the front at Discount Tire 2 miles away, and C&R another mile down the road will do 195/60R15 on 2 for the rears if Discount won't do that.

It's the 165/80R15 size that is tougher to find these days (and Discount has them in town) but if "liability" prevents them from doing the larger ones, C&R will do it. C&R says they will mount and balance a tire bought elsewhere for $16 too.

The harrow weighs like 100 lbs, will dig through dirt/sand, also think stock VW will do fine. Issue is that it's 97F here already, so may have to work on the first 2 hours of the morning. I guess once wheels/tires are on I could push into the garage on a day I was going to do work, to get it out of the sun....but the garage heats up a ton also.

The one photo shows a support bar between the two bumper brackets, not a bad idea.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

I think new 165 80 15 all the way around will be just fine.
I don't think you want "flotation" for this job, which is what you'll get with a wider rear tire.
If the car doesn't have the bite to pull, then put a set of chains on it so it will dig in better.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
I don't think you want "flotation" for this job, which is what you'll get with a wider rear tire.
If the car doesn't have the bite to pull, then put a set of chains on it so it will dig in better.

Except for the fact that those beetle tires cost way more than a 205/75 and are harder to find.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:

Ford N series,you can get them cheap...

johnnypan is correct. Tractors are more fun and practical than a VW. Use the right tool for the job.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena Reply with quote

Gary wrote:

johnnypan is correct. Tractors are more fun and practical than a VW. Use the right tool for the job.

But it is much more fun to use a tool for something other than its unintended purpose. Plus, you can take the bug to the grocery store for beer after the plowin' is done.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
ach60 wrote:

Except for the fact that those beetle tires cost way more than a 205/75 and are harder to find.

$59 each, a few miles from my place
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/searchTiresBySize...amp;cs=165
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Drag harrow through horse arena with VW Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
ach60 wrote:

$59 each, a few miles from my place
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/searchTiresBySize...amp;cs=165

Wow, that's pretty good. The last time I asked around for them here they were over $80 a piece, plus $12 each to mount and balance. Supply and demand I suppose.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: