Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Country of Manufacturing" Filter Classifieds - Brazilian Buses
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you consider a "COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURING" filter for the classifieds useful?
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 47 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 66

VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter Classifieds - Brazilian Buses Reply with quote

Update October, 2018:
Effective today I split Smile the early Bus section into 2 sections and now there is a Brazilian Bus category.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previous Updates:
Update September, 2016:
You can search the Split Bus section for pre-1968 Buses only.
Most Brazilian Buses are post-1967 so doing this will exclude those Buses from your search results.
Search link to search the Split Bus category for 1967 and earlier Buses only:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search
There is also a link at the top of the Split Bus classifieds section
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Same search but with new ads on top:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...order=DESC
Click these links, then create a Bookmark in your web browser to run these searches whenever you want.

General searches:
If you are searching the classifieds for various terms, you can add -Brazil* to your search terms to exclude all ads with Brazil or Brazilian in the title.
Example: If you are searching on 15-Windows but don't want any Brazilian 15-Windows to come up, search on:
15-window -Brazil*

Original post is below
----------------------------

First things first: personally i have nothing against Brazilian buses, and the simple fact that there's so many of them popping up in the classifieds is a clear indication of the market trend involving these buses; Now, that being said, i want to ask this to the rest of the members of the split bus forum:

Am i the only one who wishes there were a way to somehow filter those buses from the split bus classifieds search results?

Personally I'm not interested on Brazilian buses, and every time i check the classifieds (via my saved favorite searches), i find more and more of these every day, standing "in the way" of the ones that i do want to see, and as of now there's nothing i can do to avoid seeing them.

I believe that the same rationale for having a separate forum section for barndoors applies for having a filter for Brazilians in the classifieds: although they are all very similar, is not like they are exactly the same... specially in terms of collectibility, so, I assume there are others here on the samba who, like me, simply dont want to see Brazilian buses when checking out the classifieds.

Again, im not talking about having a separate FORUM section for Brazilian buses... im just courious to know if i am the only one around who would see it as beneficial to have a way of filtering Brazilian buses out of the search results on the classifieds specifically, so i only get to see the buses that are actually appealing to me (1949/1967 German made split buses).

There is also an issue with the manufacturing date: many of those Brazilian buses were manufactured AFTER 1967, yet the sellers end up choosing the "1949/1967" manufacturing range (which is the german made split buses mfg. range), because (i assume) there is no option specifically for Brazilian split buses... So, even if I specify that i only want to see "1949/1967" split buses, i end up seeing also 1970's Brazilians on the results of my search.

So, would you find a "country of manufacturing" filter beneficial? Yes or no?

Let me know how you guys feel about it in the poll.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

I personally think, if they list them as they are, no need for a separate section. They always state they are Brazilian. I think they go in with the 1967 and under because they are still split and have similar features. Just my two cents.
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

Spitty1974 wrote:
I personally think, if they list them as they are, no need for a separate section. They always state they are Brazilian. I think they go in with the 1967 and under because they are still split and have similar features. Just my two cents.

Based on your nickname I will go ahead and assume you own a Brazilian bus.

Now look at it in the opposite way: imagine you are looking to buy specifically a Brazilian bus, but you keep getting a lot of German buses on the results instead, and you have no way of filter the results to see only the Brazilian buses you are interested in.

Also, lets say one day you decide to sell your (i assume) 1974 bus; you will have to pick the "1949/1967" range, although your bus ia a '74... and people looking for that particular year have no way to see only buses who match that criteria.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

A separate section is needed. No type 2s were ever available in the 1990s for sale from south America in the USA. As I digress from this subject, We know real type 2s come from Germany.. always have. These original south American creations are factory, but not factory German since July- August 1967. This debate shall continue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

Seperate section? not YET.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

I think they should be seperate. I wouldnt mind owning one as a dailey driver or beater bus, but they are very different than a german split. Just like you can filter out wanted ads, it would be nice to filter out non german splitties.

But hell, you can!! search the years you want!! When I search for a bus, I only look for 1961 and older, guess I am an uber splittie snob!!

bugnut68 wrote:
I would have kicked the guy right in the dick, balls, ass and face and destroyed his weed. Hippies suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

really, who cares? does it really matter? if they get a separate section, then I want a Westmoreland, Mexico, and German section in the water cooled classifieds

they are the same dam thing made by the same company...who cares? besides this may be a reality check for all of the over inflated bus prices.

they are no less "real" than any other bus. you guys need to get over yourselves....or just realize that you overpaid for your bus and now you are just really really sad about it...

I would rather pay for a 70 split with little rust then buy some clapped out 60 that needs the lower 16"....how "real" is your "german" bus when it has been composed of Colombian, European and Chinese repair panels? get over it....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Rolling Eyes

I would rather pay for a 70 split with little rust then buy some clapped out 60 that needs the lower 16"....how "real" is your "german" bus when it has been composed of Colombian, European and Chinese repair panels? get over it....

sad part is the they will be just as expenive soon too!!!

bugnut68 wrote:
I would have kicked the guy right in the dick, balls, ass and face and destroyed his weed. Hippies suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

really, who cares? they are the same dam thing made by the same company...who cares? besides this may be a reality check for all of the over inflated bus prices.

they are no less "real" than any other bus. you guys need to get over yourselves....or just realize that you overpaid for your bus and now you are just really really sad about it...

Well, lets see:
-"who cares?" Well apparently a lot of us do. Just check the poll.
- "they are made by the same company". Yes, but just as barndoors and post-barndoors are different, Brazilians are NOT the same as Germans. Specially as an investment. Period.
- "reality check on prices... Blah blah" really? I honestly couldn't care less about how much (or less) a Brazilian bus costs. I'm simply not interested in them, therefore i wish i could skip them from the results on the classifieds. That's what motivated me to start this thread in the first place.
- "i would rather pay for a 70 split blah blah... and not a repaired German blah bla..." Well, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I also collect guitars and basses, and a lot of US brands have "counterparts" made overseas... and the price, quality and desirability of those is just different... Is just the way things are. No matter how good, a copy will always be a copy.

Not everyone sees things your way, and just as we accept and respect your "I don't care, they are all the same to me" point of view, you should respect the fact that not everyone is interested in Brazilian buses.

I own a GERMAN bus because that's what i always wanted to own; i purchased it for less than what many Brazilians are selling for right now, and I don't feel i overpaid for it; yes, i have invested good money on restoring it, but only because I believe it is worth the investment and the effort. I probably wouldn't do that for a Brazilian bus. There's nothing to "get over it".

Brazilians buses are cheaper reproduction of ORIGINAL German buses, just as "Squire by Fender" guitars are cheaper reproductions of USA made Fenders, or Ephiphones are cheaper versions of Gibsons. They will never be seen as THE SAME.

You cannot make us to like or want Brazilian buses just because you do, or because you think "they are all the same".

Hopefully my next project will be a GERMAN Porsche 356, and I don't even know (or care) about how much a replica 356 costs... Simply because thats not what i want. Should i also "get over it" because replicas look alike?

My 2 cents.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

I am SO sick of filtering through that late model crap.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

wow, you're pissed, huh?

you missed the whole point...how "german" is your german bus when the lower 16" is replacement parts from China, England and Columbia?

according to the poll at this point, 14 people "care" and 5 don't. the way I see it is 14 people are butt hurt because the value of their cars may tank if the evil imposter buses make it here.

I drive them for fun, not investments. but that's just me. no matter what, a 100% original will always command top dollar no matter what the country of origin is

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

wow, you're pissed, huh?

you missed the whole point...how "german" is your german bus when the lower 16" is replacement parts from China, England and Columbia?

according to the poll at this point, 14 people "care" and 5 don't. the way I see it is 14 people are butt hurt because the value of their cars may tank if the evil imposter buses make it here.

I drive them for fun, not investments. but that's just me. no matter what, a 100% original will always command top dollar no matter what the country of origin is

no I am not 'pissed' or angry in any way, just tired of seeing them when I am looking for at pre 67 buses. do not postulate on my emotions or opinions

the way YOU see it, as you state, is quite simply ONLY the way YOU see it, so refrain from projecting your generalizations onto everyone else who may have a different opinion than you. You do not have a problem with post 67 splits being included with pre 67 buses..this is fine. it is ALSO fine that I DO have a problem with it.

I also drive them for fun, and drive them I do. my '61 westfalia has 6000 miles since January first.
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

wow, you're pissed, huh?

LOL first, im not pissed, chill out dude.

Second, i own a GERMAN bus, it has its birth certificate, VIN Tag, M-Tag, engine compartment stamp.... It is a REAL GERMAN bus, not a Brazilian copy.

Yes it has some funky green on it... and even some Autocraft panels on the cargo doors... But thats it... the vast majority it's still original. Sorry to disappoint you.

You said i "missed the whole point" but judging by the previously started topics on your profile, it seems to me that you belong mostly to the Bay Window realm... So it seems like somehow you missed your whole bay window forum, and ended up posting here.

This particular thread was created to hear the opinion of GERMAN SPLIT BUS OWNERS, and how they feel about having to see all these Brazilian buses on the classifieds... Too bad that already several NON-GERMAN SPLIT BUS OWNERS have jumped in crying because they understand "all buses are the same".

Talk about butt hurting.

Last edited by VirtuallyReal on Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

sled wrote:
I am SO sick of filtering through that late model crap.

This
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

All metal courtesy of the planet and universe. Its how it's used to replace rotted panels. Not were the panel originates from. Most "german" made VWs of the era (we like so well) were built with American manufactured steel with american tooling and presses. Stick that in your pipes. I would never ponder buying a BZ bus though. It seems that VW had different norms when building vehicles for that part of the world. They dont seems to have been the same build quality. But I've no direct experience with BZ buses. But lots of experince with BZ parts and can attest to the inferior quality of those parts in comparion to stuff made for the german factories.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

I really don't give a shit either way. I don't shop online classified sections for VW's.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

VirtuallyReal wrote:
Spitty1974 wrote:

Based on your nickname I will go ahead and assume you own a Brazilian bus.

Now look at it in the opposite way: imagine you are looking to buy specifically a Brazilian bus, but you keep getting a lot of German buses on the results instead, and you have no way of filter the results to see only the Brazilian buses you are interested in.

Also, lets say one day you decide to sell your (i assume) 1974 bus; you will have to pick the "1949/1967" range, although your bus ia a '74... and people looking for that particular year have no way to see only buses who match that criteria.

Nope, I owe a 1966 deluxe German bus.....My last name is Spitalere, people call me spitty, spits, spitoon, spitfire, spit-on-larry just to name a few, hence the name here on Samba spitty, oh and 1974 would be the year I was born.
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

Yeah lets have a separate classifieds for German Buses only.

Also another separate forum for LHD from RHD....why not. LHD is for the plebs.

When will it stop really?

Brazil, South Africa, Argentina, Australia, Thailand, Mexico are all crap, real VW's came from Germany only...

All these countries only produced fakes...

Really?

Talk about first world problems...
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

If you are buying enough cars that sorting ads takes up your life, you have other ways to deal with the data. I doubt anyone here does that.

Thinly veiled emotional need not worthy of the effort of the Board Owner and mods, IMHO.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

riddle me this....

(I don't care one way or the other where they are from) but how is it a "copy" if it left a vw factory?

for example...the MK1 rabbit ended sales here in the usa in '84 but continued globally for decades...

to me, a copy would be made in china (or wherever) out of someone copying them...it isn't a "copy" if it left a vw factory..it is no less real than a 67 who's sales stopped here, yet rolled on in other parts of the world...

I have been into several "things" over my lifetime...but I just can't wrap my head around how much hate there is between vw "people"....splits hate bays, bays hate vanagons, MK1 guys hate MK3 guys...it just amazes me how people bag on the various circles of the "vw world"

I guess I see where you are coming from, but to call them a copy is just a poor choice of words. vw built them, vw sold them, therefore they are not a copy... if som-ting-wong manufacturing made a 1970 Sambro 1600 that looked like a split....that would be a copy...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: