Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie here, 1964 green Kombi
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie here, 1964 green Kombi Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
GTV wrote:
Take it to Jerome this weekend!

I wish! But had a setback motor wise. The used mystery motor with new top end on it ran(runs) really nice and strong but had some funny noises at times as soon as we got it in and running. We attributed it to some ill fitting used tins we used and some loose heater box connections that have nothing to hook to because of the j tubes.

On the way back from dmv Saturday the noises became concerning and I pulled over and shut it off, and it locked up and wouldn't start. Towed it back and pulled the motor (10 minutes gotta love pre-72 buses) and this is what we found:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The gland nut had backed off and loosened up. The dowels on the back of the crank are shot and where they go into the crank. It needs a new crank.... So we cleaned it up, torqued the snot out of the gland nut, and put it back in. Runs super quiet and smooth now but obviously with the dowel holes wallowed out like that it could let loose any second. So I'm looking for a new motor. Anyone have a good one in Tucson or Phoenix?
What type of noises was the motor making due to the loose flywheel?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie here, 1964 green Kombi Reply with quote

deltabrent wrote:
Wow you basically built a running functioning bus in less than 6 months. WELL DONE! I bought mine in July and am feeling very optimistic after seeing you hammer yours out so well and so fast!

Another member on here has a nice shop at his house here in Tucson and specializes in metalwork on splitwindow buses in his spare time. So all the credit goes to him. I worked on it a lot doing other stuff but he did the welding, fitting, and the more complicated stuff.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie here, 1964 green Kombi Reply with quote

"What type of noises was the motor making due to the loose flywheel?"

At first nothing really, but in a day's time and about 18 miles of driving around town to DMV and stuff, it went from just a little more chatter and clicking than an average VW motor at operating temp into making turkey gobbling type noises to making squalling/grinding sounds for about 30 seconds right before I pulled over and found a place to shut it down.
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie here, 1964 green Kombi Reply with quote

Just read thru build, Nice to see another bus on the road.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807

Last edited by brettsvw on Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie here, 1964 green Kombi Reply with quote

Got a rebuilt 1641 installed that runs very good, has 8:1 compression, mild cam, and I believe a CW crank, in a new Mexican AS41 case. It just purrs. I also eventually located 5 correct bus wheels and put some 205/75R14 whitewalls on today.

Next on the agenda : mirrors. Must have mirrors

brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie here, 1964 green Kombi Reply with quote

wheels look good

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie here, 1964 green Kombi Reply with quote

Nice save dude! Great work on bringing it back to life and getting it on the road.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie here, 1964 green Kombi Reply with quote

Got the new mirrors on today, after extensive beating and banging on the hinge pins. The new ones, much to my pleasant surprise, went in like butter!

I spent 3 hours getting the old ones out and about 15 mins installing the new.

Took the bus to California last weekend. The new 1641 ran like a freightrain 480 miles roundtrip, no issues.

This was the bus back in March:

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie here, 1964 green Kombi Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
This was the bus back in March:

Pretty decent accomplishment, I think.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie here, 1964 green Kombi Reply with quote

It's definitely come a long way since March, well done!
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie here, 1964 green Kombi Reply with quote

I had a paint shop in Yuma AZ that I like mix up some aerosol paint cans and painted the areas where the metal work was done. Much better than the Krylon stuff I used at first.

Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie here, 1964 green Kombi Reply with quote

Nice
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie here, 1964 green Kombi Reply with quote

I finally gave up on having a custom bumper/hitch made and ordered a bumper from WW. Helped out the view from the rear end ...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: