Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fixing malfunctioning Semaphores
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metamatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: fixing malfunctioning Semaphores Reply with quote

I'm on a total body off restoration on a Oval -57 and the semaphores were lying in a box when I bought the car in more or less pieces. Previous owner started the restoration and even sand blasted the body and pan.

I thought I should check out the Semaphores so I connected one to a brand new 6V car battery and it doesn't move when closed. I lifted it up by hand and it started to light when it was full open. I lowered the arm until the light went off (approx 10 millimeter/half an inch) and applied power again. The semaphore moves from there to full open. But nothing is happening if I lower the arm, it's like dead.

I haven't taken it apart but cleaned up the visible contact areas, still won't move exept when the arm is almost full open. So where lies the problem?

Any tip on how to make them work correctly? It's exactly the same with both Semaphores.

I have some experience in radio electronics but never worked on Beetle semaphores.
jdub63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: fixing malfunctioning Semaphores Reply with quote

I would start by reading through this post. It provides alot of detail.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=384294&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

good luck,

jdub
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing malfunctioning Semaphores Reply with quote

... most every semaphore car we buy has functioning semaphores... In my old '55, they did not work and so, we installed Jokon lights. That save us a bundle... and are cool too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: