Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection Reply with quote

We've had to source some seats for the oval that aren't from another 56. What color should the frames be? L82 or L466? I know it seems silly to want this detail to be right on an obviously non stock build, but I'd like them to be right and the interior will eventually be done a bit nicer than what we're tossing in to get it on the road quick.
tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection Reply with quote

The seats we found are early 60's units I believe, not 100% sure where they came from to be quite honest, but they are lowbacks with crap covers and good horsehair to work with. Pics tell the rest of the story, always more work to do than what you expect...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and finally the first layer of burlap that we are covering them with. We've decided to do two layers so the horsehair doesn't darken the burlap up to much in the voids.

Sam has been plugging away on getting the engine and trans sealed up and reinstalled. The engine has sat long enough it needed new pushrod tube seals and valve cover gaskets. The engine compartment is going to have a bit of 90's flare to it, just because, well, it's his car and it's what he wants. Shroud and alt are just sitting there, engine was just sitting in there for mock-up purposes checking clearances with the trans raise.

tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection Reply with quote

Getting closer, pushed it out for some sun today, need to readjust the front altitude a bit, but things are coming together quick now.

tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection Reply with quote

I finished the seats this afternoon. Double layered burlap over the factory horsehair pads. Nothin fancy.

I have the fenders back in my garage to give them a bit of 'fake it til you make it' treatment so they blend in with the rest of the car a little more. Then I'll do the hood, and polish up the fan shroud. Sam accomplished a lot of details this weekend. Brakes are mostly plumbed, just need the grommet for the master to connect the reservoir line, and rear cylinders and new shoes. Crunch time is upon us, down to thirteen days...
tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection Reply with quote

Sam also dug this out today. His original Berg shifter our Dad bought him for his first beetle (a 73 super). This has jumped to and from each aircooled car he's owned, including drag bugs, since the early 90's and is now going to reside in the oval. Heirloom parts man, the best kind.

I have an original Berg of my own waiting for it's next car too, also a gift from Dad back in the day. Cool
tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection Reply with quote

no pictures yet, but a small update nonetheless. Sam's order of trim and fender beading arrived yesterday, and he has the trans all buttoned up and fully installed. Engine is all put together and ready to go in next. Fuel line in the tunnel appears to have a blockage, so we need to run a new one in quick time. I'm working on restoring the headlights and finishing up the hood, and we are planning on a major work session with the long weekend coming up. The interior will be spartan at best, but hey, it is what it is. Basically need to do a lot of assembly at this point.

9 days left
tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection Reply with quote

Headlights are done

I also managed to finish up the hood tonight. Next I travel to Sam's shop and start blending paint in areas in need of attention from shoddy p.o. repairs. Then final assembly of everything he has to make it as complete as it can be for next weekend's show. Stay tuned (if anyone is watching), the real fun starts this weekend...
tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection Reply with quote

Getting there... don't mind the poor fender to apron alignment, they are just hanging there until we get the beading installed. We needed some motivation so we slapped them up there quick.

tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection Reply with quote

63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection Reply with quote

Oh wow, it's like a 1980's barnfind!!

Laughing

I dig it man! Cool
tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection Reply with quote

63Ragtop NZ wrote:
Oh wow, it's like a 1980's barnfind!!

Laughing

I dig it man! Cool

Yeah man, he's been dying to put that firewall and chrome tin in a beetle for years now, lol! I would have gone with more subtle color matching but hey, it's his car not mine. He's happy, so I'm happy helping out. It's fueling my fire to get to work on my own project. Wink
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection Reply with quote

It's lookin' good! Very Happy

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection Reply with quote

Bug-nut wrote:
It's lookin' good! Very Happy

Thanks!

We have three days to get it done before the show. Today, tomorrow, and saturday with show being sunday. The short list includes starter and battery cables, mount the coil and wire it up, mount remote oil filter, bleed brakes, figure out clutch adjustment issues, and drop the fuel tank in and fire it up. Oh, and slap the seats and door panels in it.

Crunch time.
tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection Reply with quote

Fuel line finished, oil filter adaptor mounted and plumbed, coil mounted and wired.

Short list is now down to pedal assembly installation and clutch adjustment, starter and battery cables, bumpers, align and tighten up front fenders, install interior pieces. Add fluids and spark it off and see what happens...

Almost.
tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection Reply with quote

We made it! Runs, moves, stops like it should. There are several things that need to be done before it's 100% but that'll all come in time. We busted our butts on evenings and weekends to get it good enough to take to the show tomorrow. Cosmetically and mechanically it is done. We had the wrong door cards all along never realizing the ones it needs are apparently taller than the ones we had, also need to do the headliner and the carpet yet. A little more wiring needs to be done and that's about it....

On to the pics in true Samba fashion

tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection Reply with quote

On the show field!

Paydirt! Sam and I shaking hands while he holds his Top 20 trophy

brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection Reply with quote

Very cool build and it looks like it paid off! I like that look a bunch.
BB Cool
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection Reply with quote

You and your brother sure did a cram session to get the car running for the June show! Did you drive it there, or trailer/tow it? How's it been running since then? Did you polish the outer edge of the wheels?
ssx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection Reply with quote

I like the retro vibe going on. Wheel color, louvered hood etc... nice job!
tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Beige Bomb. 56 oval resurrection Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
You and your brother sure did a cram session to get the car running for the June show! Did you drive it there, or trailer/tow it? How's it been running since then? Did you polish the outer edge of the wheels?

We trailered it merely because he didn't get it registered/plated in time and the engine hadn't been ran in over 20 years. The engine gave up the ghost in late august and tied up the rear main on the way to another show. All we can figure is that sitting on the engine stand all those years warped the case. A 1641 is being built for it with all new components that should keep it a solid street car for many years.

The wheel lips aren't actually polished, just used the DA with 320 on them and left them raw for a slightly 'brushed' look. We ended up changing the wheel color again but Sam isn't exactly sold on it and wants to go back to copper...

brotherbob and ssx, thanks! we have another project lurking that is a bit more involved that I may start a thread on once we start hitting it hard. Wink

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: