Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101 ... 113, 114, 115  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

I found this one in a 63 bug in Northern Minnesota recently. I don't see a plate frame for this dealer in the dealer listing section.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Also, I recently saw this decal on the rear hatch of a late bay window bus. Bus is located here in Idaho.

Looks like SAMS on the VW logo's hat. The main body reads PACE Laramie, WYO
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Thanks, I will add those.

The 2nd one is listed in my mid-70s dealer book as:
C. Pace Volkswagen, Inc.
Laramie, WY
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

These examples illustrate a change made many years ago (early/mid 1960s?), I believe concurrent with the introduction of zip codes, from 3-letter to 2-letter state abbreviations.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
These examples illustrate a change made many years ago (early/mid 1960s?), I believe concurrent with the introduction of zip codes, from 3-letter to 2-letter state abbreviations.

Cool info.
This is what some Google searches tell me...

Two-letter postal abbreviations for state names went into effect on July 1, 1963.
Modern two-letter abbreviated codes for the states and territories originated when the Post Office introduced ZIP codes in 1963. The purpose was to make room for ZIP codes in the address, rather than to standardize state abbreviations per se.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Cool info.

Two-letter postal abbreviations for state names went into effect on July 1, 1963.
Modern two-letter abbreviated codes for the states and territories originated when the Post Office introduced ZIP codes in 1963. The purpose was to make room for ZIP codes in the address, rather than to standardize state abbreviations per se.

I think they also standardized street abbreviations into two letters at about the same time. When I was a kid, Avenue and Boulevard were Ave and Blvd. Now they are Av and Bl. The street line of an address would not compete with the zip code, so I don't see that connection. But then we went to 5+4 zips and now its all computerized anyway, so standardization ins more important than brevity.

And we gave up on alphabetic phone prefixes, too.

Why do I fill my brain with this crap?
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Some rare frames I scored at Pomona

53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
55 oval ribbed door non-semiphore
56 semiphore ragtop
63 notchback (work in progress)
67 OG black paint beetle sedan empi accessorized
67 original Empi GTV beetle convertible !!
67 euro squareback
67 deluxe walkthru (work in progress)
67 convertible ghia (work in progress)

"STAY OUTTA MY BACKYARD !!! "
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Cool info.

I just realized something odd about this. Would there have been a VW/Porsche/AUDI dealership previous to '63? VW and Porsche I get, but it seems that AUDI may not have been a part of that group during that era.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I just realized something odd about this. Would there have been a VW/Porsche/AUDI dealership previous to '63? VW and Porsche I get, but it seems that AUDI may not have been a part of that group during that era.

In the '50s and '60s, there were many independent dealerships that sold a variety of makes. So I'm supposing it would be possible for a dealer to have a plate frame with VW/Porsche/Audi on it in that era.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

In the '50s and '60s, there were many independent dealerships that sold a variety of makes. So I'm supposing it would be possible for a dealer to have a plate frame with VW/Porsche/Audi on it in that era.

A really quick search tells me that the Audi name wasn't in use until 1965-ish, after a 25 year hiatus.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

I remember that the change from 3- to 2-letter state names took a while to become entrenched. It's not like the mail service refused mail with more. A dealer might have paid for a new batch of frames and not bothered to update the state abbreviation at the bottom, but did add the latest brands to the top.

But that fact does date an "Audi" frame to '65 or later, regardless of the state abbreviation.

It's been convoluted for VW/Porsche/Audi over the years... some dealers were VW-Porsche, some were Porsche-Audi. Any had all three?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

^^^ Very good points.
lasslo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: weber frame Reply with quote

lasslo wrote:
I borowed this frame from a firend.
Mounted on my ghia with dual webers Smile

I posten this some years ago, but did not get any response.
Does anyone have info about it?
Is it rare?
Is the dealer still alive?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I remember that the change from 3- to 2-letter state names took a while to become entrenched. It's not like the mail service refused mail with more. A dealer might have paid for a new batch of frames and not bothered to update the state abbreviation at the bottom, but did add the latest brands to the top.

But that fact does date an "Audi" frame to '65 or later, regardless of the state abbreviation.

It's been convoluted for VW/Porsche/Audi over the years... some dealers were VW-Porsche, some were Porsche-Audi. Any had all three?

The "Porsche+Audi" moniker dates from late 1969, when the existing Porsche dealership network was dissolved and the "new" network required any existing and would-be Porsche dealers to take on Audi as a companion product line (with new, separate showrooms, etc.). Many existing dealerships refused the offer.
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

a couple more heavy hitt'in frames a friend hooked me up with Cool Bob Smith Hollywood and another SUPER early Harry Hill West Covina frame my 2nd one ever these are hard to find.

54 Pre-A Porsche
56 semiphore ragtop
67 euro squareback

farnhamassoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Bozzani porche license frame Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
I'm curious on how many different style plate frames Bozzani Porsche/VW have made over the years. They are an old SoCal dealer that has been in the LA area at least since the 60's. The dealer has been in several locations throughout the years, and sold VW and Porsche's side by side at one of them. It would seem like they had a new style made every few years or when they moved.

This is the type that came on my current '66 and is original to the car...

Here is a small sample of three different ones found at last years pre-Classic OCTO swap meet.
None of them are identical to mine. One on the bottom is similar but has a different font weight...

I had on in the 80s that just said Bozzani on the top Porche on the bottom. it was black with raised chrome or gold letters I cant remember exactly which one. Thinking chrome.
A friend has yet another version of their combination Porsche/VW frames and the fonts are slanted or in italics!

Please post pictures if you have any others to share,
TY

06 Jetta TDI 45mpg
Restored several 11 window kombi and standard
Current inventory 66 delux hard top, so23
60 ragtop and 61 hard top bugs 54 hardtop bug
67 tin top so42 62 SO10 ruthmann bucket truck
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge my VW was originally from Athens, Alabama. According to the dealer database, (if I understand it right, I'm usually pretty dumb Wink) my Beetle would most likely have been sold by this dealer
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/dealers/magnussonsimportmotors_athens_al.php

Does anyone know if that dealer had license plate frames? I've googled Magnussons and can't find any information at all except what's on this site. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Bug-nut wrote:
To the best of my knowledge my VW was originally from Athens, Alabama. According to the dealer database, (if I understand it right, I'm usually pretty dumb Wink) my Beetle would most likely have been sold by this dealer
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/dealers/magnussonsimportmotors_athens_al.php

Does anyone know if that dealer had license plate frames? I've googled Magnussons and can't find any information at all except what's on this site. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Looking at the overall dealer page for AL, it looks like this dealer existed through 1961:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/usa_dealers_al.php

From the length of time and the fact they existed in the late 50s/early 60s I would say Yes on the plate frame but I have never seen one.
It would be on the page if I did, of course. Smile

If you find any other materials, please send them to me for the page on the site.
MANNAXMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

I just picked up this frame yesterday off of Craigslist. It had a slight curve to it, from being bolted directly onto a 65-66 deck lid, and a few bends, which were pretty easily removed, for the most part. I hit it with some steel wool for a few minutes to get it to look like this. I'd love to trade it for a Wes Behel Sunnyvale frame in similar condition.
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Oh dang another cool Pomona find

54 Pre-A Porsche
56 semiphore ragtop
67 euro squareback

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101 ... 113, 114, 115  Next
Jump to:
Page 100 of 115

Jump to: