Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

I hope you got permits, that drone was probably a nosy neighbor or town official recording your construction.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I am building a sort of carport thingy.....well it's about 12"wide and 8" deep and connects my house to my garage.I was building 3 days ago on it and there was a swarm of bees that kept circling me. I couldent see them suckers but they sounded big.I hoped they hadent built a nest under there whenI wasent looking and hadent finished enclosing it.so I went inside and found the can of wasp /whorenet spray just incase. they keep buzzing me but I could never seen them little suckers Confused then ....I saw that swarm.... a effing drone.if it had got closer I would of sprayed that sucker.just what I needed another distraction while Im on a ladder screwing away and swarm of bumble bees up my ass.

"connects my house to my garage" is known as a 'dogtrot' Idea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogtrot_house
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey

Last edited by Mike Fisher on Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I am building a sort of carport thingy.....well it's about 12"wide and 8" deep

12 inches by 8 inches? Is it for hot wheels?
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

What is this!?! A garage for ants!?!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

Aw, don't be so hard on the Tucker. After all, you have to remember that he says he is a "machinest". Laughing
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

sorry I was using my special messuring stick......or was I messuring somethen else.....no dog trots. 12'x8'
and being a machinest....and doing carpentry.....down too a few thousandths..... then the weather changes...and ...it's a wonder Im not balled....but might explane my spellen&math & messuring & tipeing .....skills Wink Y eye dont no Rolling Eyes
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Ants? no, it was a hive for that swarm of bees so they'd quit bothering Mark
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

It a helipad for the drone.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Well I got a visit from a drone last evening, the thing was doing slow passes over my storage yard and house at ~30', I showed it my air rifle that I was about to clean and it shot straight up 200' and buggerd off to the NW, I lost sight of it 3/4 mile away. Then the mofo came back ~12:30, I wish I had stayed up so I could have bagged the damn thing somehow, gotta explore converting a potato gun to a net launcher.
Now my kids are all shook up, my son can't sleep, my daughter won't even go outside by herself for the fear it's some creeper spying on her, I wonder if it's the local tweakers scoping out new metal sources, or maybe it's just dome dumbass, either way I feel violated, grrrrrrr.....

Transport Canada says no flying over private property without permission, no flying within 500' of buildings, people or animals, no flying at night and don't fly out of direct line of sight, I really don't think a judge would disagree with whatever action I took to rid my family of this tresspass.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

I, too, was visited this summer by a drone. I was in my backyard amongst my buses, when I heard this odd sound behind me. I turn around to see a drone about twenty feet up, just to the north of my fence. As I walk toward it it stays hovering in one spot for several seconds, then suddenly reverses quickly and takes off to the West.

I hopped on my bike and took a quick ride to some nearby spots that seemed like a good place from which to fly a drone, but did not find anyone.

I have not seen it again, but my air rifle is very nearby and if I have a clear shot, I will take it. That opportunity would make me happy.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

that'll solve yer problem.

c'mon busdaddy....air gun? I though I knew you better Laughing

if you could stomach the expense, get your own drone and have a collision with the offender. I like the point, click and ship option for a dollar a click myself....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
c'mon busdaddy....air gun? I though I knew you better Laughing

Something more substantial was definitely my first thought, but remember this is Canada, our Mom won't let us play with any cool toys unless it's drone season and we have all the permits and are wearing safety glasses. There's also the small problem of a massive greenhouse just down range, I'm not in the mood to be buying some expensive glass panels imported from Holland, paying for thier install and covering the cost of a lost crop. Also it may bust it up too bad, I want my prize intact so I can stare into the camera and say a few words Wink

My son works for the Canadian equivalent of Harbor freight and has been bringing home the customer returned drones for pennies, we've got a couple working and are refining our piloting skills, might even see if it'll pack around a dangly net or something to improve the odds, didn't have time to deploy one last night sadly. I can't wait to place a CL ad for the drone I "found" and have a face to face meetup with the owner, that thing wasn't one of the cheap ones and I'm sure they'll want it back. Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Instead of tinfoil hats, maybe it's time for a fishing line border around the property. Something that will easily ensnare a drone that can't be seen by it.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Instead of tinfoil hats, maybe it's time for a fishing line border around the property. Something that will easily ensnare a drone that can't be seen by it.

Though of that too, but it's not fair for the Owls, Hawks, Eagles, Falcons and Herons that also occupy the airspace, a quickly raiseable version surrounding some really interesting camera bait may be workable though.

Слава Україні!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pop goes the drone,,,,,,

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

If it were not for the fact I live in the limits of a city run by folks that would not have any idea which end to hold, one of my several shotguns would be my first and only choice. But taking out that drone spying on my backyard is not yet worth the consequences of within-city-limits discharge of a firearm.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

A drone hovered over my fence a few times. They were above my property on and off for several minutes. We have a pool. so you can guess what the teen boys were scouting for.

I got pictures of the car and the license number of the car the kids got into, and sent it to the local HOA and to the police. I told them I considered this trespassing and a threat, and would exercise my rights (even here in California) to stand my ground and take out the threat with my shotgun. Sure, discharging a firearm in the City is illegal, but if I am threatened, that does not apply. The small shot might rain down but that is not going to hurt anyone by the time it lands due to air friction.

It hasn't happened again. But I am ready.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

I'm so glad we have such geniuses moving to Idaho now...

A couple weeks ago, while agencies from all over the states were battling the biggest current fire in the US (Pioneer fire 70 miles north of me- over 120,000 acres), fighting efforts had to cease because people were flying drones and endangering the helicopter and tanker ops. Folks were just a little upset.

Last week (Wed.) during Boise's hosting of a huge annual Hot Air Balloon rally, sure enough, a clown grounded all takeoffs by flying his f'ing drone around. He was publically shamed over the PA system for being a total cockwaffle.

So, hell yes, they need to be registered- with each flight GPS-tracked to prove you aren't being an asshat. If you aren't a swimming pool pervert or casing the joint- you have nothing to worry about. Then it's on me when I shoot down your addadicktome plaything, butthole.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
if I am threatened, that does not apply.

Threatened with bodily harm, maybe. But with trespass you may have a difficult time defending yourself.

I am not saying you shouldn't, only that it is a thin line. I am very tempted, too. I am a decent shot. And my backstop is a sparse industrial area with very little threat to people. I just can't afford a lawyer.

I am curious what the cops said when you told them you intend to shoot it down next time.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

The cops did not respond to that point (I had sent the photos and my comments via email, not in person).

All I have to do is show this photo/movie and I can claim a drone is a threat. Hard to distinguish a camera and a gun at those distances.

Link

Plus, I am not shooting at the pilot, just the machine. No physical harm done to anyone. Just property damage... property that was used in the commission of a crime.

I hope I don't have to test this theory. But I bet the NRA would back me up if it went to the courts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: