Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I got the pedal painted

In order to create the patch that will cover the clearance that needs to be made for the heat pipe I created it out of cardboard and masking tape

Then i cut and taped together smaller pieces over it to create the template

Then i transferred that to a piece of plastic

didn't have metal shears before this (adding to the tool box again)

shears and dremel used to cut this

Overall I'm happy, fun little metal working project. more of these to come no doubt.

still trying to get the spring out with heat

made a new tool to try to push it out.

This made my day! My neighbor has been coming over watching my progress. He had a 69 popup camper and drove it across the country on more than one occasion and I've enjoyed hearing his stories. He mentioned that he probably still had his 46mm socket that he carried with him everywhere. He walks home and 5 minutes later comes back and gives it to me! I told him thank you! It's really cool to have something that has so much history and now will go on to another chapter and live with me Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Ive added so many tools to my collection since owning my bus. Good work!
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

I was finally able to get the bottom of the spring out! First I used a punch to make the floor go down and then used my new "tool" brake the spring free from the hinge and the floor and it slid out.

Here's the new spring next to the old one that was stuck.

Then I started pulling out the old rubber seals. I'll be ordering new ones today for the cargo doors, rear hatch and deck lid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

I got all my engine tins sand blasted so I'll be painting them this week. Also started removing all the old seals so that I can put in new ones. Going to cut the hole under the patch I made so that my friend can come this week and weld up the cargo floor!

Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

I really wanted to be able spray as many of the tins as I could at once and allow them time to dry so hence the pop up spray booth! They should be fine a couple of days as they dry!

before

after

cleaned up the metal around the patch so it can be welded tomorrow

traced the area to be cut

cut around leaving a shelf for the patch to sit on

cleaned up the far cargo floor that also needs to be welded.

I spent a little more time trying to get the battery tray to fit. If we have time we might weld that in tomorrow, if not it can wait.
If anyone has a bus muffler, damper tube, bracket and/or exhaust pipe they want to get rid of let me know!
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Tins painted!!!

The rubber sears for the cargo doors and rear hatch will be in soon so I'll have to figure out how that's all done and what kind of adhesive to get Smile
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

I got the bumper guards and towel bar this week and the patina on them is a pretty close match! I'm happy

Got the battery patch panel to sit pretty close to where it needs to be after a little more trimming and bending. The dremel tool has been good for this

got a new positive cable from Autozone and a rubber grommet from WW! little things one by one!

popped in the rear hatch rubber, so glad that this looks like it's going to stay without adhesive!

pulled off the hatch latch and hit it on the wire wheel and installed the new rubber bumper

then it was time to tackle the accelarator pedal, WW sells a kit to replace everything, you also need the little spring, pin and rubber boot

started with this!

bam! I need to grease it up a little bit

we got a gas pedal!!!

I found it a little crazy that two of these little springs is all that holds the pedal to the linkage! Seems like they'd fall off all the time, but I don't know. I'll be ordering some to keep in my spares just in case

Started pulling the old vinyl upholstery. You have to get it out of the teeth that hold the edges

right side is done. left side still to do. I'll hit the old yellow glue with the grinder/wheel, tape it all off and then paint it. should look really nice after that.

i pulled the remaining seals on the cargo doors as well, just need to install the new ones.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

got a majority of the glue off, calling that good,

found this at home depot

it's a pretty close match to VW's L466 Silver Beige, good enough for me anyway!

amost finished taping off everything,

and here it is! A very nice 1600SP can't wait to hear this baby run!
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Nice work.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

the ash tray was a little toasty

hit it with the wheel

and painted it

three coats of Rustoleum Almond Gloss

I'd say it's a pretty close match to VW's Silver Beige. If I were restoring a period correct show car I'd probably find a different paint, but I'm happy. It's done, moving onto something else Smile
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Steady progress, looks fine. I hope to see it at the Oct. Harvest car show.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

The brake pedal spring needs to be replaced. This is what the area looked like when I started.

at the bottom of this picture you can see a pin with a little cotter pin. That thing was kind of a pain to get out. But you can see what 51 years of road grime can do. I got it out after an hour of PB Blaster and then hitting it with a punch

this is right before the long arm came off you can see how the spring pushed up the pedal

the other end of the arm connects to the pedal, i'll install a rubber boot at the bottom of the pedal, under the floor when it goes back together.

paint all the things!

hum which one would you rather have under your foot on a long road trip??

and a new to me muffler thanks to Col_forbin!
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

have a little bit of a problem with the rear bumper that came with Helga. It's missing the brackets that are welded to it. So finding them is proving to be difficult. You can see in this picture where the welds are they used to hold one side in. If anyone knows where i might find a set of these please let me know.

TexasAirCooler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Longboardluv wrote:
I'm trying to figure out a way to get both heater boxes pumping heat to the front. I'm going to have to make something similar to this or find a flexible pipe that can be put it. It's going to involve cutting the floor and welding.

I've been considering the very same thing on mine. Have you thought about what you will het the back with yet?

Common Sense Is A Flower That Doesn't Grow In Everyone's Garden.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

TexasAirCooler wrote:
Longboardluv wrote:
I'm trying to figure out a way to get both heater boxes pumping heat to the front. I'm going to have to make something similar to this or find a flexible pipe that can be put it. It's going to involve cutting the floor and welding.

I've been considering the very same thing on mine. Have you thought about what you will het the back with yet?

I'm not going to heat the rear. Smile
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

after pikcing up some cotter pins from Pepboys on the way home I got the brake assembly all back together.

yay! now I have two working pedals

since I need to get the rubber boot on the cluch pedal as well I guess I'll pull this off and paint it too. It might take a few days of pb blasting before it will come off however

I directed a little time to a few stuck pop out window hinges. These were rusty and at some point painted so they are locked up. I've been cutting all the joints and pb blasting. and just trying to work them back and forth to get moving. I've got two moving again, three are being stubborn and one is just missing, so that one will have to be replaced.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

I was finally able to get all the cargo door seals glued in, they close really nice now!

after a couple days of pb blaster and heat the clutch pedal nut came off and i cleaned it up and..

painted it

at Austin VeeDub I found this deck lid stay that cleaned up pretty nice

i found an oil bath air cleaner pipe as well
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

I got the cargo floors all cleaned with mineral spirts and a wire brush. there was still a lot of slag, dirt and rust that needed to come out.

Dane came over and we got the rear seam sealed, heater pipe cover, cargo door bottoms and a dozen little holes filled!
Now I can por15 and cover with press and seal!

This is the pop out window latch behind the driver's seat we'll have to fix at some point.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Longboardluv wrote:
...since I need to get the rubber boot on the cluch pedal as well...

Looking good on my screen.

A spark plug boot sliced and slipped around the pedal shafts between the floor and mat works good if you're missing OG style or want to add a 'nuther level of dust or draft protection.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Longboardluv wrote:
...since I need to get the rubber boot on the cluch pedal as well...

Looking good on my screen.

A spark plug boot sliced and slipped around the pedal shafts between the floor and mat works good if you're missing OG style or want to add a 'nuther level of dust or draft protection.

Thanks but I actually have extras of the OG Style, WW loves me! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 26

Jump to: