Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 65 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The 65 Beetle Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Car show? what is that? (asking from the middle of a barren wasteland, lol)

The ocean is a desert with it's life underwater, just like a desert is like the ocean with it's life underground.

Last edited by Helfen on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The 65 Beetle Reply with quote

Very Happy

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The 65 Beetle Reply with quote

So I discovered the culprit to my no fire issue was simply the spark wire came unplugged from the ignition coil. Also a wire came off the starter, which I discovered was new. Realized today before running to the grocery that the hot wired push start is draining the battery, so I made a male/female plug on the button until I can find a replacement ignition switch.
Anyone have any leads or suggestions on ignition switch woes and fixes? I tested the switch and it is getting power like its suppose too, perhaps I'll prop the bug back up and look for the wiring for the switch the starter to check connectivity and condition.
Also spent the day replacing my clutch cable, right side parking brake cable, adjusted the brake push rod for better response, and scrubbed the vinyl seats with GoJo to remove all the oil and dirt I could.
Nothing like loading up groceries in the front of a car today Very Happy
Sam
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The 65 Beetle Reply with quote

I usually put the groceries in the back seat. But the charcoal goes in the trunk. Nice job figuring out your ignition issue. You know the drill. Post a WTB add in the classifieds. You'll find a good one and then you can have it re-keyed to match your doors. Or is that the other way around?
Any way enjoy your new little toy. Then when it gets real hot outside, drive that F150 I see in the right side of your pic.
Have a great week.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: The 65 Beetle Reply with quote

Love it!
You probably have single circuit brakes. You might want to look into upgrading to dual circuit soon.
Nothing wrong with 6v once you get everything cleaned up. I'll be staying 6v on my '66.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The 65 Beetle Reply with quote

So I am trying to track down a couple issues. First off, I am wanting to get my ignition switch working. Secondly, I am trying to track down this little electrical gremlin that is causing my battery to drain.
With the wiring diagram and some reading on various searches in regards to the ignition switch, I notice that power flows from the ignition switch directly to the what I believe is from the generator and not the battery correct?
For the headlight switch, it is powered through the fusebox on the far right fuse (when in the car, looking at the fuse panel. This is how my bug is set up, does something seem off? I am still reading and re-reading the diagram, definitely not the most difficult one I’ve seen but then again, I’m not that bright in regards to wiring. Going to check wiring under the bug to the starter now.
Cheers,
Sam

Edit: I have tested to believe the internals of the ignition switch are faulty, and is my electrical gremlin. When the key is out and car off, the switch is relaying power through the switch, which i believe to be incorrect and faulty. Ordering a factory switch with key from a guy here on the Samba. We shall know in a few days.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: The 65 Beetle Reply with quote

Doing this from memory which is dangerous at my age but I believe the battery goes first to the generator terminal and then to your ignition switch.

If it is hot on terminal 15 with they key out, the switch is bad, correct. That will drain your battery in about 5-6 hours
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: The 65 Beetle Reply with quote

I'll be receiving my good, used VW ignition switch for the bug today. If I have time after firing up my bus motor for the first time since rebuild, I'll see if this fixes my electric woes. Photos and details to come, just gotta find the time!
Hopefully the wire clean up on the starter to the switch won't be too bad.
Sam

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The 65 Beetle Reply with quote

So I have the new switch in, with a beautiful vintage VW key. It clicks like its suppose to, but I didn't have time to fix wiring underneath the bug. Does a simple wire going to the starter from the switch, correct? I came across the schematic as mentioned but I haven't payed to much thought to it. It didn't look too difficult.
Bug does runs wonderfully. Just wanting to sort out the function of the ignition switch and do away with this silly push start.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: The 65 Beetle Reply with quote

The PO probably has moved the wire from the ignition switch to the push button, but you can't ' guess' with wiring.

At risk here:

Damaging new switch, starter, flywheel.

Find the wire now on the starter solenoid terminal and follow it forward to the current switch and disconnect. It should not have 6V on it with key on.

That one belongs on the new ignition switch.

Wait for folks here to post a pic
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The 65 Beetle Reply with quote

As mentioned, here is the engine rebuild voucher (warranty voucher) on the 1200cc 40HP engine in the bug.
Sure enough, there’s a KD # D 234843X. Haven’t spotted any on the motor yet, probably covered in oil...
Rebuilt October 16, 1971. Was someone really that hard on it those first few years?? Rebuild at 58,699 miles. Bought new in 1965 in Hope, Arkansas. Love the history with these old things.

For what it’s worth, I’m still trying to figure out wiring issues with ignition switch, I do know the switch is good as the 15 terminal isn’t staying hot and draining my battery.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The 65 Beetle Reply with quote

So I have a couple gentlemen pestering me on buying the bug from me, one being my buddy. no price really in mind, buddy said it was a $4500 car all day. What's the value of this thing running and complete as it is? Dad and I are trying to figure out the value for insurance purposes really, but I guess I'm guilty, if someone offered a price that we couldn't refuse, it will always go towards the VW fund.
Thanks guys,
Sam

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The 65 Beetle Reply with quote

So I am wanting to reinstall the leafs that the guy I bought the bug from removed, as I know it is unsafe and has contributed to a rough ride around town. While underneath the bug, I will be replacing the front and rear shocks.
My question is how do I go about reinstalling the necessary torsion leafs back into the suspension? I’ve been panning the internet but am not quite sure where they go. The PO gave me the leafs he removed, but am curious out of the number I have 6 or so, whether the front end or rear gets the most leafs and what the total number of leafs on each end are suppose to be accounted for, whether it be say 6 up front and 4 in the rear, etc..
Thanks guys, I’m off tomorrow until the evening so I plan to dive into this project.
Have a good night,
Sam

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The 65 Beetle Reply with quote

So yesterday and today I Managed to raise the bug back up to "factory" height, adding back the front "leafs" for lack of a Better word. What a pain in the ass, and out of the six that were removed, all the smaller leafs, I only managed to add back 2 out 4 in the top bar. The bottom bar is still missing the 2 smaller leafs. So the front isn't as high as I'd like or needs to be, but for now it is what it is.
As for the rear torsion bars, no sweat. Guy raised them so they had no tension in them at all. Removed cap and bushing, removed hub and parking brake cable, removed 3 bolts on the axle and tension bar, swung it out of the way, popped of T bar and adjust with making marks at 0/180* on spindle and a mark on the desired tooth on the torsion bar itself. No angle finder. Counted and rolled. Surprised how much tension is still within the suspension.
While in there, changed original Boge shocks out with KYB Excel-G shocks all around.
The improvement of the ride is simple outstanding. What a difference it is, with some shocks but I believe the biggest improvement is from actually having the tear torsion bars acting and operating as intended, with tension to act as an independent suspension.
Also changed out the rear shoes, and spring hardware. Cleaned up and working nicely.
Plus, I actually think it looks better. Next on the list are tires. And eventually get the front completed with the leafs.

rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The 65 Beetle Reply with quote

Just came across this thread....nice '65 Cool My car was built not too long before yours....VIN 115196XXX. PM me anytime if I can assist with pics, parts or general advice.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The 65 Beetle Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
So yesterday and today I Managed to raise the bug back up to "factory" height, adding back the front "leafs" for lack of a Better word. What a pain in the ass, and out of the six that were removed, all the smaller leafs, I only managed to add back 2 out 4 in the top bar. The bottom bar is still missing the 2 smaller leafs. So the front isn't as high as I'd like or needs to be, but for now it is what it is.
As for the rear torsion bars, no sweat. Guy raised them so they had no tension in them at all. Removed cap and bushing, removed hub and parking brake cable, removed 3 bolts on the axle and tension bar, swung it out of the way, popped of T bar and adjust with making marks at 0/180* on spindle and a mark on the desired tooth on the torsion bar itself. No angle finder. Counted and rolled. Surprised how much tension is still within the suspension.
While in there, changed original Boge shocks out with KYB Excel-G shocks all around.
The improvement of the ride is simple outstanding. What a difference it is, with some shocks but I believe the biggest improvement is from actually having the tear torsion bars acting and operating as intended, with tension to act as an independent suspension.
Also changed out the rear shoes, and spring hardware. Cleaned up and working nicely.
Plus, I actually think it looks better. Next on the list are tires. And eventually get the front completed with the leafs.

Looks super! KYB's a great choice. They are valved just about what the second to the last click ( firmest ) are on a set of Koni adjustable shocks , which is great because the firmest setting IMO is too harsh, plus they are a fraction of the cost-a great value for the money.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The 65 Beetle Reply with quote

Rcroane,
Thank you very much, I’ll keep that in mind. Awesome to meet some “bug kin”, I am pleased with the progress made on the beetle, aside from my lack of understanding and pursuit of figuring out the ignition switch issue of not turning over the starter. I’d really like to do away with the push start that’s been added. Every once in a blue moon, you can turn the ignition switch and it will engage the starter and fire up, 9/10 the push start is the only option.
Helfen,
I am very happy with the Excel-G shocks. Very inexpensive, and firm enough to where I feel that will help keep the car straight and true on the highway and around curves. Not that I am a shock expert, but for the fact that I changed out the OG shocks of 50+ years to these, on top of adjusting the torsion bars to actually have tension to act as the designed suspension, I’m digging it. It actually has suspension and you don’t feel as if you are in a can on wheels. I’d compare the before to what I’d think a model A felt like going about 20 on a rough road.
This coming week, removing and replacing the 5.60 r15 dry-rotted tires with some Nexen 165/80r15 tires here locally. About $400 mounted and balanced with a lifetime tire rotation. New tires, I believe the wandering down the road will be corrected.
Also on the issue of steering and drivability, I am needing to replace the tie rod ends and the steering damper.
Until next time laddies,
Sam

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The 65 Beetle Reply with quote

So today the Nexen tires have added to an even nicer ride. I'm impressed how much tires can make such a huge difference on drivability and comfort. Next will be a new steering damper.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: The 65 Beetle Reply with quote

Well it is official, my pop is the new proud 3rd owner of a 1965 Beetle. Happy Father's Day, old man!
Welcome to the Samba, gassucker65!

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: The 65 Beetle Reply with quote

Keeping this thread alive for my pop, any recommendations for roof rack options and vendors for this patina-blessed bug??
Dads after a wood slate rack but is wanting something period correct and well-built, but preferably less than $250-$300.
What and where do folks score their racks?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: