Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help needed with rear tail lights on my 56
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J A Red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Help needed with rear tail lights on my 56 Reply with quote

So my tail light housings have been painted, and I'm rebuilding the tail lights with my original hella lenses, and new chrome bezels, backing and clips from WW. I can't for the life of me get the locking clips to clip in. Is there a secret or a trick to these? It would seem that I need 3 left hands. Any help would help
1960Turkis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed with rear tail lights on my 56 Reply with quote

Not really a trick I'm afraid, have done it several times and normally it's pretty straight forward. Don't you have the original clips? Those are easier to work with. Two small tips:

- Don lay them on a table or so, when trying to do the job. Just hold them. The lenses have to come out of the housings a bit and they won't if they face a table.
- Try to bend the lips from te chrome brezels not al the way back, but a bit towards the innerside. You can use a small screwdrive to get the clip in.

Use the original clips if you have them and be patient Smile
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed with rear tail lights on my 56 Reply with quote

My experience with the aftermarket chrome trim has been less than agreeable. There is no substitute for the fit of original parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J A Red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed with rear tail lights on my 56 Reply with quote

I'll look for my original clips tonight. It almost seems like the tabs on the new bezel aren't quite as long. Will try again tonight with as much of the original parts as I can..
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed with rear tail lights on my 56 Reply with quote

I have had the same experience with the WW bezels. The inner lip of the bezel, upon which the glass sits flush, is stamped too high. I you look at the outer lip, it's lower than the inner lip. So the glass sits too high.

This higher lip doesn't allow for the glass to sit low enough in the bezel/housing, and therefore, the clips cannot mate properly with the slots in the bezel tabs.

Why someone would reproduce an item like this and not make sure the die is correct, and the fit is right, is beyond my understanding.

If you want proper fit, you need to use the original bezels. Get them re-chromed if you need to. It's worth it. Not worth the disappointment and aggravation to use parts that are poor reproductions and do not fit.

AAARRGGHHH. Ruined my Saturday, don't let it ruin yours.

-R
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed with rear tail lights on my 56 Reply with quote

I've used them a few times. Bend the clips down a bit, not too much or they'll pop out and also make the slots a bit bigger.
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed with rear tail lights on my 56 Reply with quote

Yeah, but you shouldn't have to modify a new reproduction part though you know? If they were made properly in the 1st place....

-R
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: