Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED Headlights
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

Drewmon wrote:
Please do, I've been eyeing those for a while too. Let us know how you make out.

In the meantime, you might check out these posts:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8076432#8076432
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugdust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

I use TrucklLites in my Jeep. I wonder how they would do in a vintage VW. They aren't a good look for most but in a buggy, baja, volksrod etc they might look ok. They are awesome lights.
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Update Reply with quote

17 days and counting since they said they were sending them back to me. Turns out USPS lost the shipment and they're sending me a new set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jarrod78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

I've had the vintage LED bulbs in for 4 months now and working great. running alternator myself.
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

jarrod78 wrote:
I've had the vintage LED bulbs in for 4 months now and working great. running alternator myself.

Jarrod, if you have a photo of your bug with the headlights in we would love to put it on our website if you have time!
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Update Reply with quote

First shipment got lost in the mail so they were good enough to send another set. They arrived a couple of days ago.

I just put them in and tested them. With the car warmed up and idling I was getting 13.9 V at each lamp, high and low. Holy cow! I think the cleaning and the new foot switch and the new light switch really did the trick.

Time will tell, but I think they'll be fine now. I love these lamps!

These guys are the best. I feel so bad since it was my voltage drop that caused all the trouble.

I also installed some great LED parking lamps from http://auto-hub.com/ba15s-led-98-bulb/
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

Now if someone would come up with LED retrofit headlights for 6 volt cars. I'm sure my 180 watt generator doesn't appreciate having 120 watts used by just the H4 high beams (55w/60w bulbs.)
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Now if someone would come up with LED retrofit headlights for 6 volt cars. I'm sure my 180 watt generator doesn't appreciate having 120 watts used by just the H4 high beams (55w/60w bulbs.)

We are currently working on 6 volt kits, and we are in the road testing phase of them.
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:

They are already on Samba, expensive but they exist:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1775896
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

branston wrote:
EVfun wrote:

They are already on Samba, expensive but they exist:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1775896

That's why we are developing a more affordable solution.

Also, the only thing that bugs me about that ad

"they produce no heat, operate at room temperature"

Which isn't possible for High Output LEDs, notice they have a heat sink, and cooling fan.

Also the bulb is exactly the same as ours in our VC2500 kit. (our older kits)
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

I was still having some issues with the LED's, so vintagecarleds.com sent me a set of their new VC3500 lamps, better LED's, no fans. These are fantastic! These guys went out of their way to make me happy. Great company.

VC3500
https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/7-inch/vc3500-classic-kit/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: