Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting problem
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Starting problem Reply with quote

I am getting a spark and fuel but the old Thing will not start. I fitted new plug leads a couple of days ago and since then it feels like it's running on three cylinders. but now it will not start. The plugs are wet after attempting to start. I have fitted an inline spark tester between the plugs and plug leads and it shows a yellowish spark. I am thinking that I may have a weak spark. Any thoughts?
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting problem Reply with quote

Pre ignition
Clean your points
Are you sure you put the wires back correctly?
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting problem Reply with quote

If she was running before, I suggest you start with verifying the plug leads are running to the proper plugs....
I've done this before and had the same symptoms...

Let us know how you get on!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Starting problem Reply with quote

bad wires maybe?

if it "was" working before you changed anything reverse it and put the
old wires back and see if anything changes.

I have seen new "bad" spark plug wires before. (on other engines I've mucked with).

one other suggestion, I've had better luck using starting fluid for testing verses just pump the crap out of it /flood it with gas.

Ether evaps faster too so if you did spray too much, it will clear out rather quickly.

I use Ether to start my old 51 Ford pickup or the 66 Mustang if it sits too long
the gas evaps from the carb and I end up having to crank them too much.
A lil ether, and she fires right up, sometimes takes 2 sprays.

anyways, it does sound like it's a spark problem somehow.

Good luck with it and let us know-SOMEBODY on here has seen this before.
T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting problem Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:
bad wires maybe?

if it "was" working before you changed anything reverse it and put the
old wires back and see if anything changes.

I have seen new "bad" spark plug wires before. (on other engines I've mucked with).

one other suggestion, I've had better luck using starting fluid for testing verses just pump the crap out of it /flood it with gas.

Ether evaps faster too so if you did spray too much, it will clear out rather quickly.

I use Ether to start my old 51 Ford pickup or the 66 Mustang if it sits too long
the gas evaps from the carb and I end up having to crank them too much.
A lil ether, and she fires right up, sometimes takes 2 sprays.

anyways, it does sound like it's a spark problem somehow.

Good luck with it and let us know-SOMEBODY on here has seen this before.
T

Thanks for the suggestions. I may have found the problem, I changed the condenser/capacitor and it almost started but I had to take the distributor out to change the condenser so my timing will be off now. The battery is on charge now and I will try again tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again
Don
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting problem Reply with quote

If you only remove the 8M (13mm hex) nut that hold the distributor clamp to the block and don't loosen the clamping nut, then your timing will be very close to correct when you reinstall the distributor.

New condensers are always suspect while old condenser very seldom give problems. A good condenser can last 100K miles easy, more miles than that is not unusual at all.
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Starting problem Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If you only remove the 8M (13mm hex) nut that hold the distributor clamp to the block and don't loosen the clamping nut, then your timing will be very close to correct when you reinstall the distributor.

New condensers are always suspect while old condenser very seldom give problems. A good condenser can last 100K miles easy, more miles than that is not unusual at all.

Thanks for the reply. Too late for the distributor it's been out and in. I should have thought about the 13mm nut, stupid me! I agree with you on the condenser. This is a brand new distributor c/w points and condenser and I've done less than 300 miles.

Cheers
Don
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: