Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

drag racing a bus
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

i have a 2176 with o44 cnc wedgeport heads, fk87 cam,and 48idfs, and msd box, with just under 10to1 compression timing is at 30 degs and ran a 50/50 mix of c12 and superunleaded. trans is old kcr box with super beetle main shaft, stock gearing, super diff with 4.37 r/p. im using bfg ta 195/65/15 with 30psi in rear. seems everybody is going thru water box to do a burn out except me, i thought street tires should skip the burnout??? im leaving about at about 4500 rpms, and spinning tires a little after launching. should i drop tire pressure to 20psi and do a burn out? i kinda like to run it same way its driven on the street, swamp cooler, safafi 1/2 way open hahaha i love test and tune nights, so close to getting into 17s...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

If you want to drag race, put that nice engine in something a little more suited for it besides that brick. It's a 21 window with all the options. Sell it, people are looking for them to restore, not race. Just my 2 cents.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

Remove the roof rack and the swamp cooler then close all the windows and you will be running 17.50's
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

this guy didnt think i would pass the tech inspection and didnt seem to impressed with my bus lol. its fun having something differnt, alot of real quick bugs are around. this set up in my bug ran low 14s/ high13s. i was hoping for mid 16s, but thats seems to need a little more horsepower then im making now. mabey a smaller 195/55 instead of the 195/65 would help. is the pre stage burnout a waste of time on street tires?
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

Dude, you're slow! Wink

My buddy has a very mild 2276 (fk7, 9:1, stage 1 40x35's) in his single cab and it runs 15.6's. We figure in a beetle the same drivetrain would run a high 13.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

Do you have any sort of rpm launch limiter, so that you can replicate the rpms? You need to find a spot were you don't bog, but don't just light the tires up. I always ran better with dry treaded street tires. I had more issues with water staying in the tread, and creating an inconsistent launch, than improving the launch. Lowering your tire pressure would help in the event of any wheel hop, and it will give you a slightly larger contact patch. Create some sort of log book, and experiment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

Screw the nay sayers, glad to see someone doing something different and having a blast doing it. Dave's right. Shed some accessories and you'll shave some time. Pushing all that air is slowing you down big.

If guys want to restore busses, let 'em find there own. Rock on Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

brad
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

Screw the nay sayers, glad to see someone doing something different and having a blast doing it. Dave's right. Shed some accessories and you'll shave some time. Pushing all that air is slowing you down big.

If guys want to restore busses, let 'em find there own. Rock on Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

brad
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

Remove weight,as in everything u don't need in the bus Wink
yea stay out of them water boxes Rolling Eyes Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/RbiFfNqnEX0
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

flat4olsen wrote:
https://youtu.be/RbiFfNqnEX0

NICE!!!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

http://ultimateaircooled.com/vw-bus-racing/

Keep working on it-buses go a lot faster than what you are running now, but remember to have fun!
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

No Reduction boxes I'm assuming Laughing then IMHO that FK-87 is hurting you bad, but I'm sure you're having a blast anyway!
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

Remember that article in VW Trends (mid 2000s I want to say) the bus racing special?? Pretty cool article. They spotlighted about 10-20 buses in the article...used someone's shop and dyno services. Sure they are slow for a racing vehicle, but how many people can say their bus is fast?? A fast bus is more impressive to watch than a bug. I used to slam the pedal in my last split at 60, and it would hit 80+mph in seconds. People's faces are like "what the....you can't do that in a hippie van!" I loved sitting at lights having people get in the other lane to go around you. When lights turn, I give them a second to get a length on me, then fly past them and keep it pulling!

You want more speed? Turbo the engine.
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

im not going to break any records thats for sure, im just having fun. ill drop the roof rack and drop the tire pressure, and a little more agressive with the shifting. hoping to get back out to test n tune in 2 weeks. they are pretty relaxed on rules untill you run 13.99 or quicker. when i went to carlsbad raceway before they closed they had me pull all the extra crap off my volks before i could run.
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

Smile Dave Kawell ran a bus decades ago at OCIR or was it Pomona...been a long time ago. He could help answer some questions.

Did one time see a guy running his bus down the track with a lot of shouts from the stands until his last time hitting the pedal a axle or trans SNAPPED.

They had to use a floor jack to remove him from staging.

Do NOT let your tire air too low or the same could happen to you.
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

Carlsbad was a stickler for rules? Really? That's funny to hear!
I love that you are racing a 21! My brother and I drove one in highschool a decade ago and that thing got more looks on the race track than any other vehicle there. 8000 people standing up and cheering for you while making the slowest 1/4 mile passes of the event is pretty awesome!

We always wanted to put 8 people in helmets in it for a run. Thought that would have been pretty hilarious to see Wink
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

Good Fun! We see fast bugs every day .. A fast bus is a crowd pleaser. Keep us updated ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:

brad

X2!!! To me your living life. Someday when your really old you can look back with other old timers, and one of them might say, "I dusted off my 21 window bus and took it to a car shows". And you can say, "I lived on the verge of happy heart attack while I used my 21 window to smoke Hondas".

Jeff

PS, don't do burnouts on street tires, its a waste. Drive around the water and just do dry launch to make sure tires are clean and dry. Keep us updated as you bring your times down, that's awesome!
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

i think thats why im spinning tires taking off, everyone in front of me leaving a little water wile trying to impress everybody with their peg leg burnouts! hahaha. its not a real 21, its a 13plus8. if i had a "pit vechical" i could take out the spare tire and my oh shit kit and all the tools to lighten up the bus a little, but i dont want to pile all my crap up, only to find it dissapeared wile in line to make a run.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: