Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Casting replica parts?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TazzTheJynx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Casting replica parts? Reply with quote

Has anyone thought of this? I know you could (sorta) easily cast your own aluminum parts to replace parts on vintage vehicles, but has anyone made steel replicas at home? In theory it should be possible, right? Given the space and the proper materials anyone could build a forge. By no means would it be to factory spec I imagine.

Has anyone thought about as replacement parts for their vw type 181s or other vw vehicles you may have?

Reason I ask is simple curiosity. I plan to make my own 'mini forge' to turn aluminum cans into little aluminum figurines and such, and maybe to make my own steel tools at some point from reclaimed metal.

My fiancee seen a vw thing and now she wants one because it's 'cute', and I want one as well as a slight offrader/daily driver and I think if I could fabricate my own parts (even aluminum parts) I could greatly reduce my cost.

Anyone ever tried this? Anyone thought about it? Is this a new concept this community hasn't thought to use? I know people do it for vintage motorcycles but those parts are much smaller. So please, give me feed back.

Last edited by TazzTheJynx on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Forging replica parts? Reply with quote

I think for the most part it would be cheaper to buy a better part than what you have.
TazzTheJynx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Forging replica parts? Reply with quote

jason wrote:
I think for the most part it would be cheaper to buy a better part than what you have.

Why do.you think that? Just curious. Smile If someone wanted/had a forge like that and we're going to make it anyway then it'd cost very little I imagine. All you need to is acquire the metal and a mold. The metal is easy, junkyard have heaps and.heaps of scrap, sure if you pick around enough you'd fine the kind you need. And the molds are a matter of time thing.

But if you consider the tools and stuff needed I would say, yea more expensive short term. But I think long term it'd be cheaper, or at least more fun.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Forging replica parts? Reply with quote

Wrong terminology. You should change the title if you want real interest.

What you are talking about.....is CASTING parts by SMELTING aluminum or metals in a FORGE.

Forging......actual FORGING.....is quite different......and cannot easily be done at home except for very small parts. It entails heating steel (generally) to temperatures several hundered degrees below the metals flow point......inserting it in very large, dense, heavy steel molds......and hammering the molds together at HUNDREDS of tons (or more) of pressure.....usually in a drop forge......wherein a large heavy weight is pulled up in the air and dropped onto the mold.....hammering the part......to create higher density and shape the grain structure.

The aluminium mini-forge is a great idea. I have been looking at these for years. You will have to read up and do a lot of experimenting to make good molds that work well....ie....work more than once, dont explode or crack, make a proper shape at temperature, have proper flow and venting and dont make parts that are so crude that they take more machine work and hand shaping to the part than they are worth.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Forging replica parts? Reply with quote

find a old rusted out whatever you want and then bondo,duck tapeup then make fiber glass molds and then rework them to the quality you want&make you glass car thingy.
TazzTheJynx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Forging replica parts? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Wrong terminology. You should change the title if you want real interest.

What you are talking about.....is CASTING parts by SMELTING aluminum or metals in a FORGE.

Forging......actual FORGING.....is quite different......and cannot easily be done at home except for very small parts. It entails heating steel (generally) to temperatures several hundered degrees below the metals flow point......inserting it in very large, dense, heavy steel molds......and hammering the molds together at HUNDREDS of tons (or more) of pressure.....usually in a drop forge......wherein a large heavy weight is pulled up in the air and dropped onto the mold.....hammering the part......to create higher density and shape the grain structure.

The aluminium mini-forge is a great idea. I have been looking at these for years. You will have to read up and do a lot of experimenting to make good molds that work well....ie....work more than once, dont explode or crack, make a proper shape at temperature, have proper flow and venting and dont make parts that are so crude that they take more machine work and hand shaping to the part than they are worth.

Ray

Thanks for the correction, I'll change the title to reflect it.

I've seen several mini forges (including ones made from buckets) and plan to make figurines with one to sell. So when doing that I'll be experimenting with permanent molds. I've seen a type of dirt people use that seems to work well and is reusable I think, But I think the mold needs to be reshaped every time. I think the best bet for a permanent mold would be pure thick steel, but like I said I'll need to experiment.

I should note I don't plan to make steel parts (or even aluminum) any time soon, seeing as I don't have a thing yet, and I'm only looking at it as a possibility for far down the road. Likely I'll try making a fender or some such from aluminum as an initial test to see how it'd work. By no means will my work ever be up to factory standards, but I sure as hell could try. Razz

You seem to be knowledgeable on the subject and I'll like to pick your brain at some point on this subject, shoot me a pm sometime. Smile
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Casting replica parts? Reply with quote

Buy aluminum sheet and an english wheel if you want to make an aluminum fender. The dirt is sand, sand casting. I did it in high school. Your local college may offer metal shop classes which may include it. I cant think of any cast parts worth making for a VW besides custom ones.
TazzTheJynx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Casting replica parts? Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Buy aluminum sheet and an english wheel if you want to make an aluminum fender. The dirt is sand, sand casting. I did it in high school. Your local college may offer metal shop classes which may include it. I cant think of any cast parts worth making for a VW besides custom ones.

There are plenty parts I would think are worth replicating. Not just larger body parts but smaller parts, Like mirrors and I may try replicating the wiper motor on aluminum since they're hard to come by from what I hear.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Casting replica parts? Reply with quote

Look into: Lost Wax Casting
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Casting replica parts? Reply with quote

Give an example of a part you'd like to make.

I'm drawing a blank.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Casting replica parts? Reply with quote

I think Glen might be on to something... meaning... you can buy car parts cheaper than you can make them. If you're thinking about money... you could probably make more money casting various VW model earrings & pendants & selling them.

Used, everyday, run of the mill parts are available. Specialty stuff... you're going to have to pay for... one way or the other.
TazzTheJynx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Casting replica parts? Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
I think Glen might be on to something... meaning... you can buy car parts cheaper than you can make them. If you're thinking about money... you could probably make more money casting various VW model earrings & pendants & selling them.

Used, everyday, run of the mill parts are available. Specialty stuff... you're going to have to pay for... one way or the other.

I'm thinking of parts for the vw thing specifically. I don't think I'll be saving a huge amount of money or anything, just that it might be fun while saving me a couple bucks. Parts for the wiper motor for example (which is thing specific) can be hard to find and expensive.

If I was just talking a bug I wouldn't think I could save any money, considering my location (California) and the fact bugs were so massively produced, I would spend more money and time than driving to the local vw junkyard.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Casting replica parts? Reply with quote

You also have to factor in the machining of the cast parts. If you need Thing parts try TC’s Old VW Home in Tujunga Ca. He specializes in Things.

Parts like Judson air filters and things like that would be good. They look sand cast to me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: