Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who uses empi conversion stub axles
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Who uses empi conversion stub axles Reply with quote

Anyone use empi type 2 conversion stub axles? Or even 930 conversion stubs (I assume made the same)?

Saw 2 threads on different forums of the stub axles broke in the same spot. One guy used the t2 conversion stubs (p/n 16-2304) and other one was for a bug c.v. I understand stuff happens and sometimes you get a bad part... I was just hoping someone else uses them with good luck.

I know a lot of empi parts suck but they do make good axles/cvs so I'm wondering if it's the same with their forged stub axles.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Who uses empi conversion stub axles Reply with quote

There has been numerous accounts of the breaking the stub axles.
Empi does not appear concern or care that there is a problem with them. Use at your own risk.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Who uses empi conversion stub axles Reply with quote

so far so good with Type 181 flanges.axles and outers too Wink
OEM German steel Cool they take type II CV's
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
takotruckin
SUPER Baja

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Who uses empi conversion stub axles Reply with quote

The late production EMPI stubs are junk and shouldn't be trusted on anything. There are companies that machine the stock axle and put out a quality product. I did a quick search and didn't see anything, maybe someone here knows who they are.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Who uses empi conversion stub axles Reply with quote

Advanced Foreign Auto
13820 Shoemaker
Norwalk, Ca 90650
1-562-921-3338
Ask for Donny

This is a place where a friend had a pair made after breaking one of the Empi stub axle driving on paved road.

It you have good type 1 cores to start it is cheaper then buying outright.
Motion Tire Motorsports
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Who uses empi conversion stub axles Reply with quote

That sucks. I had hoped they where like the empi cvs (said to be good). Unfortunately I already have them, changing them before they break would be better than an accident. If there are thing stubs on classifieds when I have $ I'll scoop them up. Any experience with the CB performance stub axles?

It appears that ACN.net is selling the empi stubs, they have the same part number as the empi ones. Surprising because they normally only carry quality parts.

I must admit I've only found 2 threads (one samba and one shoptalk) where they broke though. Still makes me nervous though.
rockcrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Who uses empi conversion stub axles Reply with quote

How are they breaking? Are they twisting the drive flanges off or breaking the threads off? A couple of reported failures wouldn't stop me from using them without hearing more details about the failures.

Porsche 924/944 stubs are another option if you want to run type 2 CVs. I paid about $75 for a used pair.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Who uses empi conversion stub axles Reply with quote

Here is a few pictures of one that broke.
http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/a46365ba1a083c659d82857a85997ec0b4bc35ce.JPG
http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/357364c61959324799808534873d731569721a64.JPG
http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/6ed1671c369a8483718c0992a59d852a51ab5e55.JPG
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af258/Art3358/...e1f1e0.jpg

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612500&highlight=empi+stub+axles

Just type in empi stub axle breaking and many threads come up including video of it happening.
Motion Tire Motorsports
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Who uses empi conversion stub axles Reply with quote

Here's a source for re-flanged original VW stubs.

Advanced Foreign Auto
13820 Shoemaker
Norwalk, Ca 90650
1-562-921-3338

Mentioned in those threads that Joe linked to. I've offroaded with Donny. Good guy. He's an old friend of a close friend of mine. Ridden a lot of miles in a 4-seat frame that Donny built for our mutual friend. He's done case and head machine work for me too.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Who uses empi conversion stub axles Reply with quote

After posting that last one, I realized that in the above there are 2 stories about EMPI stubs breaking, and both are Manx-type and are the same lime green.

A little weird... Confused
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Who uses empi conversion stub axles Reply with quote

They all break just before splines.

One is the green Manx.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=128924

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=605785&highlight=empi+stub+axle

Sometimes parts break. I was just hoping to hear of people using them with success.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Who uses empi conversion stub axles Reply with quote

Don't want to argue... Rolling Eyes

But one is the green Manx-type buggy Iguana reported, his "friend" and I suspect customer or partner.

The other is Art's from RBC.

2 different buggies.

The red Baja reported at another time and now linked here as well is an addition to the list after I posted my previous post.

I'm certain there are a number of other vehicles that have had such failures of EMPI stub axles. I had no intention of excluding them. What I commented on was the coincidence of 2 incidents reported in the thread so far, 2 VERY similar looking (though in detail quite different) cars.
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: