Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1954 VW Bug Seats
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCalVolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: 1954 VW Bug Seats Reply with quote

I purchased an all original 1954 VW Bug. The only thing that I thought was not correct for the period was the upholstery, however, someone just told me that the front seats are not correct. Can someone please send me a photo of what an original 1954 front seat frame should look like (the bottom area of the frame where the seat adjuster is located and the seat attaches to the chassis so I can compare)?
Thank you!
Susan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 VW Bug Seats Reply with quote

I don't have a picture, but you can go to the classified section and search for "seat" under the 57 and older parts section.

See here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1901996

53-55 seats were the same. You can expect to pay 800-1500 for a pair of front seats, unrestored. It is getting crazy.

Can you adjust the backrest on the seat you have? If so, you have later seats...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 VW Bug Seats Reply with quote

Yep. it's got later front seats in it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rear seat looks funky too.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 VW Bug Seats Reply with quote

Good news though, it looks like your car may have the original seat rails on the floorpan. Judging by how your front seat backs seem to be leaning forward more than usual your car likely has the original "flat track" seat rails. The later style seats you have are designed for seat tracks that slope rearward, thus the awkward position with the later seats on the early rails.

If you have the original rails still, the car will be a lot more comfortable once early seats are installed again.
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 VW Bug Seats Reply with quote

Here's a photo of my seats
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 VW Bug Seats Reply with quote

Ultramoron makes a good point and I have the same issue...later seats on the early flat seat rails. I still have no idea why the previous owner traded the 54 front seats for the 57 front seats.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: