Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65' Father-Daughter project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 65' Father-Daughter project Reply with quote

Try to get a Lincoln or Miller brand welder with gas bottle. This is a tool that you will be much happier to spend a bit more money and have it work right.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 65' Father-Daughter project Reply with quote

[quote="57BLITZ"
With that in mind . . . consider buying a nice, new MIG (and STAY AWAY from "wire-feed" welders), and when you are finished welding, you will have no problem selling it.
Doing it that way will probably cost you less than buying a junk, wire-feed welder that you will do nothing more than frustrate you . . .
/quote].
Ummm! Mig welders are" WIRE FEED." I think you are referencing "flux core" mig welders. Those are terrible.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
hoandtina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 65' Father-Daughter project Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Almost finished with getting it ready for the carpet, will be ordering it tonight.

What I need to fiberglass:

The photo doesn't show as bad as it really is, that was only part of it.
But it's nothing major so I don't really see the need in welding a new back part.

Couldn't really get any good photos of the rust on the bottom of the doors.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 65' Father-Daughter project Reply with quote

Problem with fiberglass is just going to rust up all too fast. If the area is pretty solid welding it up will be easy.

If that is the heater channel the rust was caused by leakage at the windshield.
hoandtina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 65' Father-Daughter project Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Problem with fiberglass is just going to rust up all too fast. If the area is pretty solid welding it up will be easy.

If that is the heater channel the rust was caused by leakage at the windshield.

It was, since the car hasn't been driven in 6 years and the back window was taken out. It's not the heater channel, just above the luggage tray.

Surprisingly the heater channels and everything else aren't rusted out, considering the price I paid for the car.

We don't really have enough time to weld everything, because it's not in our garage and we will be moving soon.
And I'm still looking around for a welder.
hoandtina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 65' Father-Daughter project Reply with quote

hoandtina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 65' Father-Daughter project Reply with quote

Just an update: The engine currently getting put back together/built should be done any day now, so will be picked up soon. Also picked up a battery that will be put in sometime this week along w/putting the headlights back in to see what works and what doesn't work.
Faustling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 65' Father-Daughter project Reply with quote

Awesome! Keep up the great work!
hoandtina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 65' Father-Daughter project Reply with quote

Replacing the boots
Talked to the guy about the engine and he said he need a bit more time, but would include some drop spindles so there's that.
Haven't really done much the past month, had been on a vacation and school has started.

Oh and also we took out the door panels and are going to make some custom ones, I know I said I wanted the car mostly stock but I'm not sure yet.
hoandtina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 65' Father-Daughter project Reply with quote

New boots haven't tightened yet or put the clamps on

Last edited by hoandtina on Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 65' Father-Daughter project Reply with quote

If you are not going to drag race the Beetle, you should consider getting rid of the solid rear transaxle cradle. With no rubber there as in stock, the engine and transaxle noise will be much louder for those inside.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 65' Father-Daughter project Reply with quote

Good on the boots, but having the heads of the screws and hose clamps facing more downward helps later if you need to tighten one of those fasteners up with the engine in, and you underneath. Trying to operate them with screwdriver with the slots out of sight is a real pain.
hoandtina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 65' Father-Daughter project Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Good on the boots, but having the heads of the screws and hose clamps facing more downward helps later if you need to tighten one of those fasteners up with the engine in, and you underneath. Trying to operate them with screwdriver with the slots out of sight is a real pain.

Thanks! yeah, we haven't tightened them yet, or put the clamps on because we didn't have the tool for it.
hoandtina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 65' Father-Daughter project Reply with quote

Started to fiberglass and of course forgot the resin, grabbed the wrong stuff haha.
FRUSTRATING though.
Ye, I know it isn't going to last as long as welding it, but I'm a freshman and I'm not looking to restore it atm, I'm looking to just make it somewhat a daily driver.
hoandtina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 65' Father-Daughter project Reply with quote

Tested this for 5 minutes, seemed to work:

When applied:

After the 5 minutes:

Going to take forever but hopefully won't
Look too bad after rubbing compound, etc.

Also started grinding down the rails of the seat frames, will soon be reprainting them.

Last edited by hoandtina on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
hoandtina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 65' Father-Daughter project Reply with quote

Prepping the headlights to paint
hoandtina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 65' Father-Daughter project Reply with quote

Update: Just ordered the carpet kit, and full set of new door panels, + some miscellaneous stuff should be here next week.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 65' Father-Daughter project Reply with quote

Either sell or put up the old door panels for free in the classifieds. Someone will need them.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 65' Father-Daughter project Reply with quote

Love the 1965. I had two in Bahama Blue that I still miss. Last year of the great 40 HP in the US market.
hoandtina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 65' Father-Daughter project Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Love the 1965. I had two in Bahama Blue that I still miss. Last year of the great 40 HP in the US market.

Yeah, unfortunately the engine that came along isn't original to the car, still a 40 hp but 1961.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: