Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

mounting a aluminum floor
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceburn2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: mounting a aluminum floor Reply with quote

I have a sheet of checker board Aluminum that I want to put in a sand rail. I've found weld on tabs, but some of the really nice builds have the fasteners hidden from view. I want it to look professional, and be strong, and safe. Does anyone have any experience that they could share with me.
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: mounting a aluminum floor Reply with quote

I used stainless steel buttonhead bolts and nutted from the bottom.

I think it is clean looking
ceburn2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: mounting a aluminum floor Reply with quote

Weld on clips would need to be under the floor board. The ones that I have look at seem that they have one piece, so the clips should be seen from the top unless they run screws directly into the frame.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: mounting a aluminum floor Reply with quote

I think worrying about seeing floor fasteners on a rail is kinda silly. I've never heard anyone say, boy that would be a really nice rail if it wasn't for the sightly floor fasteners. The aesthetic value of thought out fabrication is one thing, but I don't understand why a person would worry about seeing the inner working of a tube frame vehicle. That's kinda the point. There are ways you could box in over the tab so that the bolt is hidden. Keeping the tabs in the corners is another way to make them less obvious. If you have some thicker aluminum diamond plate like I do you can use flat head bolts and countersink the holes so the heads don't show. Tap the tabs themselves to run bolts thru and skip the nuts, but have fun getting all that to line up just right.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: mounting a aluminum floor Reply with quote

Or just go button head from the bottom up and acorn nut the top...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: mounting a aluminum floor Reply with quote

^ that and get SS hardware and nylock nuts. It'll look great for years.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: mounting a aluminum floor Reply with quote

If your floor is thin using SS bolts/nuts will eat it around where the fastener sits from the galvanic corrosion after a while.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: