Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

runs & sags in epoxy primer ..
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: runs & sags in epoxy primer .. Reply with quote

Shot some DTM epoxy primer yesterday and got some sags and runs here and there - brought on by a combo of using a modded gun (opened nozzle to 1.98mm), high humidity, and being in a huge hurry to get it shot.

My questions are: how long should I wait to sand them down? What grits should I use? and, is there any reason to even bother to address them in areas that will be shot with 'high build' and/or skimmed with filler?

Doug C
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: runs & sags in epoxy primer .. Reply with quote

btw, the info sheet for my epoxy primer says that it can be wet sanded the day after shooting, but wait 2-3 days before sanding dry. Does anyone work down sags wet though?

Doug C
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: runs & sags in epoxy primer .. Reply with quote

Sure..you can sand it wet. Since you have to scuff it all anyways you can just wait and do it with a DA.

Just remember....rushing already caused you some issues. Slow down so you can understand the pace so you won't have the same problems with the finish coat.

Painting takes lots of patience and sanding. Rushing never helps and only causes it to take longer.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: runs & sags in epoxy primer .. Reply with quote

Our painter was doing a trick with some putty to sand out runs. You put a skim coat over the run and sand the putty off and you will not burn through. He found it on utube.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: runs & sags in epoxy primer .. Reply with quote

Our painter was doing a trick with some putty to sand out runs. You put a skim coat over the run and sand the putty off and you will not burn through. He found it on utube.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: runs & sags in epoxy primer .. Reply with quote

Its on the epoxy primer which will be under his hi build.
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: runs & sags in epoxy primer .. Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys. I definitely learned from the primer shoot. I will be moving at a much slower pace for the topcoat.. no excuses but we had a storm scheduled for that evening and I'd already had the body in bare metal much too long, oh and the family had big plans before the weather set in too. I'll be shooting early in the morning for the topcoat, w/ nothing scheduled. I'll DA after skimcoat. Thanks.

Doug C
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: runs & sags in epoxy primer .. Reply with quote

Hey Doug...trust me. I feel your pain. Every time I shot primer I realized how much I had forgotten how to paint.

Painting takes real patience. I often felt rush to get good coverage so I laid it on too thick. I felt rushed between flashes so I painted too early between coats. You really need to set aside some time, get a watch, and stick to your timeframes.

Rushing in paint is really a huge no no.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: