Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission quandary (manual)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission quandary (manual)..... SOLVED Reply with quote

Ahoy gears,

I was wondering if I can take a look myself to see about the 3/4 slider. I'm in the "fairly able" category for wrenching skills.

Thanks
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission quandary (manual) Reply with quote

The hub (clutch gear) in question is hidden by the slider (operating sleeve), so full disassembly is required to inspect it ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission quandary (manual) Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

DK - 80-83 aircooled
DU - 83-84 WBX
ABD - 85-86 WBX
ACW - 86-91 WBX
DX - 83 diesel

So, what is this?

091 301 107 C

Im guessing the marking "ACW" is elsewhere?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission quandary (manual) Reply with quote

It is the partnr of the petrol bellhousing.

If you looking for the gearbox code then you should search here:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission quandary (manual) Reply with quote

Thanks! Found it:

ACWO 110 6

I have only seen the letters ACW being analogous to year range 86-91. Is there a chart with info on how to read the rest?

ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission quandary (manual) Reply with quote

ACW-01-10-6 the last nr is the year of manufacture, the two nrs before are the month and the other two before means the day of month

so 1st of october 1986
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission quandary (manual) Reply with quote

Thanks,

Goodness gracious! The stamp on the gutter says 10/86.

Maybe I have one of those super rare "matching numbers" rigs! I better keep it all completely stock, and have everything rebuilt! No swaps, or upgrading any parts for me Wink

Oh, ya... maybe not.

Good to know, tho. Thanks!!! I had been hoping it was a newer one, like the kind with the 3/4 slider that doesn't completely fall apart and stop dead on the side of road in the middle of nowhere.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission quandary (manual) Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Sodo,

Sounds a lot like I should not waste the MT90 that will be coming tomorrow. I did run a while with some standard 90wt man-trans oil (no FLAPS around here, just tractor place) I think I put on 50 miles over 'lunch'.

I was going to just drain that out again tonight. I also got 2 gallons of that 90wt, as I use the same stuff in my toro gang mowers. I could wash it out a couple times, really. I can also use the oil in my dual-fuel furnace (wood/fuel oil) so nothing truly lost, really. Maybe not 'green' in most eyes, but not as wasteful as some.

the vw van transaxle is not a standard gear bkx, it also conatians the differential. make sure the oil you use has the correct formulation for BOTH gears and and differential, and wont attack the brass bits. see owners manual for correct grade. use of wrong yype can lead to rapid wear

the fuzzy magnet dont look all that bad, seen worse and them trannys ran many more miles.

anyway dont worry be happy, but use the correct oil for a gear box AND differential.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission quandary (manual) Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
]

the fuzzy magnet [pictures] don't look all that bad, seen worse and them trannys ran many more miles.

anyway don't worry be happy, but use the correct oil for a gear box AND differential.

So, more people are saying that the synthetic Redline MT90 seems to be the wrong thing. I have no clue as to why some of the big '(add-your-own-flavor-of)Westy dot com' here sites say to use it... I will see what is leaking onto the clutch (if that is the problem anyway) and replace seals. I guess if I have the transaxle out, I should do the clutch, pressure plate, bearings, and both trans seal AND engine seal... What else? (other than running screaming into the night)

I also think it best if I figure out how to get the CVs off the axles (are they essentially the same as Type 1's? I bet so) and replace boots, clean, inspect, and relube at minimum.

All of this on a transaxle from a rig with 275K miles thats likely to be original. Anyone have a sanity check? The $800 replacement used one was on a webpage with a phone number nobody ever answered, and my email was not responded to, so I guess I should consider alternatives.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission quandary (manual) Reply with quote

Got this in record time. Still waiting for the Main/flywheel seal kit. Hope to get this stuff in place before the weekend. I assume the little silver thing on the pilot tool is the pilot bearing that needs to replace whatever is in there now. The input shaft was dry and actually a bit discolored with iron oxidation -- just a bit of powder on tip of shaft of transmission (input shaft, I think its called) I think that should have had some evidence of lubricant, am I mistaken about that bearing? Could the evidence that the needles in the pilot bearing were dry be a possible cause of a shudder on clutch release? Still can't account for the clutch slipping after a trans oil change, and clutch fluid bleeding until clear. I used a clear 1/4" ID on the bleeder and lost very minimal fluid from the threads on the slave. SOME tho, maybe a tablespoon full. Enough to get onto the clutch? Anyone seen that happen by chance?

I am still working on getting the pressure plate off the engine, and the flywheel off the crank. I have and air hammer, but my compressor only goes to 100 lbs, and is useless for that tool. I am trying to decide on an electric impact hammer. I see they are pretty pricey! Advice needed. Anyone have experiences with use of cordless impact hammer on flywheel bolts? Maybe I will just makeshift a flywheel holder for this time around.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission quandary (manual) Reply with quote

Ok then, 4 days, from Cali to Iowa.. Good enough. Now to put this little piggy together!!! Oh, I guess I got the one made in Mexico... Hope it holds a few years
(The other bits are hinges for my gowesty skylight... funny how they don't say you'll need new hinges when they sell you a complete skylight kit)

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission quandary (manual) Reply with quote

I'd say this might explain some of my problems. I got lucky, the flywheel side was ok. Im stumped on how to get the pilot bearing out tho.

Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission quandary (manual) Reply with quote

The pilot bearing you can get out with stiff grease and a shaft or a 10mm alu dowel.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission quandary (manual) Reply with quote

Your clutch lining has approximately 70% life left.

Smile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission quandary (manual) Reply with quote

Well, I found some parts... Guy got these out of what he thought was a '91. The transmission seems to be fair, other than oxidation I guess. Not sure of anything about the engine, but it feels as if it has good compression and no hitches or clunks as I spin it by hand. The transmission stamp reads ACW04010, fourth day of January 1990 from what Bentley and posters here say. Seems to mean the guy didn't know what he had... However, I had no problem working the gears, and spinning the input shaft. Differential does its job. I am hopeful at this point. I have yet to go look at the rest of the vehicle for what remaining parts are on it... was $250 for these and if I get the rest, it'll be another $250. The body is another 5 hours north Sad I will have to wait a while to find a window of opportunity to go fetch that.

I sure hope that the 3/4 slider is the one that doesn't self destruct. The GoWesty writeup says the oldest one they've done that has it was March 9th of 1990.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission quandary (manual) Reply with quote

Good ending to this saga. She's all back together, everything smooth and seamless shifting. Back on the road. Already planning some smaller projects tho!

I snapped this pic from my pal's office window. When he gets in he's gonna turn green!

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission quandary (manual) Reply with quote

Applause Applause

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: