Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upgrading my headlights
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rblake3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

I spent about $135 on my single round conversion.

Lights = $76
Relays/wires/connectors = $17
Round grille from junkyard = $20
Round light buckets from junkyard = $20

I sold my rectangular light assemblies on Ebay for $160 so I actually made money by upgrading. I used the extra cash to put towards Hella FF1000 driving lights for serious illumination in the back country.

It can be done fairly cheap if you are resourceful. The improvement in safety alone is worth it. Think of how your reaction time is affected between dull DOT lights and E-code lights where you can actually see stuff going 50mph at night. It could save your van and/or your life.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

94 Miata
Vanagon H4 E-Code Lighting Upgrade page
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

I need to add some fogs like that. Nice van.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

Or you need the more manly version:

Those FF1000s are a good light what pattern did you choose? how did you mount them?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
rblake3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

Those FF1000s are a good light what pattern did you choose? how did you mount them?

They are the driving lights. I have fiberglass bumper so just drilled holes in top of bumper. Those lights are discontinued so get them while you can. There are probably smaller/better options these days but the big 7" rounds make the vans look a tad more burly. Bright like the sun also.
94 Miata
Vanagon H4 E-Code Lighting Upgrade page
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

Nice - as driving lights those things probably push light a mile out on a straightaway, eh?

If your lights wobble on rough roads, consider a simple backing plate. I have thick aluminum plate under mine and they are remarkably stable despite their size, using the same bolt through strategy as you are. I also made custom mounts that help spread the load on top of the bumper as well. I'd do it again - worked great!

Mine are fog beams and they can handle high output bulbs due to the interior volume. Drive safely.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Nice - as driving lights those things probably push light a mile out on a straightaway, eh?

We're veering off topic, but I should mention . . .

I earlier posted my rectangular ECode conversion (edited to include cost). In addition to the ECodes I also added some Cibie 7" fogs and driving lights. This because I do a lot of night driving on rural 2 lanes.

While the driving lights do add additional "fill" (for lack of a better term), the ECode high beams (with 55/60w) and stock square high beams (55w) have equivalent pattern and distance. In a word, the ECode high beams are fantastic and give me great coverage I can't outdrive at 65mph, without the driving lights.

So, getting back to the Idaho Doug quote, in my case the 7" drivers DO "push light out a mile," but so do the ECode high beams (yes, properly aimed).

In other words the Cibie Drivers, which are great lights, aren't really needed with the ECodes (I think they look nice though Wink ). That's my experience anyway.

(no, I don't drive with the fogs and drivers on at the same time)
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

Lemon,

Nice. You have to know lights to be willing to part with the money to get Cibies. Those are terrific units. You are certainly well set up for fast night driving.

We do a lot of that as well - with all our vehicles, actually. I painstakingly set up every vehicle we own with highly upgraded forward lighting equipment. My LandCruisers both have the exact setups with great optics, powerful bulbs, wiring upgrades, etc. With everything on, tooling down the road, I have a huge wide swath of hotspot-free light that reaches out nearly a half mile in useful light and picks up reflectors at more than 7500'. As you know, there is a certain satisfaction to a well thought out, diligently aimed lighting system when its midnight and nobody else is out there. The reward is seeing the cow elk step out into the road 2000 feet out, easing off the gas for a bit without even waking the family, and then continuing on without missing a beat when she leaves the roadway....

Probably singing to the choir, as you also appreciate the whole night driving zeitgiest as well, eh?

Regards
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

http://www.opb.org/artsandlife/article/holly-andre...picks=true
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
http://www.opb.org/artsandlife/article/holly-andre...picks=true

Nice '64 Rambler Classic.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

Sorry to reactivate a (yet another) dying lighting thread. I cam in here after doing a search for people's thoughts on adding Driving Lights and if they are worth it. Found a few good opinions here.

What I wanted to add here, is that on our last trip out west, I had one of the 80/100 9004 bulbs burn out on us. Now, I've got "all the tricks" done.. relays, dedicated grounds, cleaned and bright shiny reflectors, etc..

Since we got pulled over just hours after the gorram thing burned out, I stopped the next morning at the FLAPS and picked up whatever 55/65 (or whatever they are) 9004 they had on the shelf.
That night, I was surprised to find that from the driver's seat, I really couldn't tell a difference between the two.

So anecdotaly anyway, my conclusion is that assuming everything else is proper order, that a standard good quality 55w 9004 bulb is already pushing the limits of usable beam from a lowly DOT-spec lens.

My other question / navel gazing exercise is, just where the heck are y'all driving that uber high beams and driving lights are even worth the effort? Assuming you are using the high beams, and have the DL's relayed from the highs.. i mean damn.. even way out west I still find myself having to click the highs on/off/on every gorram 20 seconds. it just gets old man. a few miles and i'm just like "frack it!" and leave them off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

stl_stadtroller wrote:

My other question / navel gazing exercise is, just where the heck are y'all driving that uber high beams and driving lights are even worth the effort?

I'll chime in here. I have the stock rectangular lights with a relay kit and some sort of higher output bulbs (whatever comes in the GoWesty kit). I agree, it's a slight improvement but not huge.

That said, I find the output of my high-beams to be perfectly fine. The low beams are a little too low.

As some have said, it's nice to see that cow elk from far away as possible. As long as no one else is on the road for me to blind, I have my high beams on and all is well. If I have my low beams on it will be harder to see the critters but if my low beams are on there are probably other cars, and more lights, on the road.

In the "backcountry" where others are using their uber lights, I'm driving real slow on dirt roads anyway and wouldn't want to light up anybody else's campsite. I could however see adding a auxiliary backup light for navigating into camp spots - my tinted window make that a chore.

I should caveat all of that with this: I try really hard not to drive at night, no matter what car I'm in.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

Lots of lonely 2 lane roads in the intermountain West - and deer and pronghorn love them

1st thing is to get rid of the DOT reflector design...
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

SCM wrote:

That said, I find the output of my high-beams to be perfectly fine. The low beams are a little too low.
I should caveat all of that with this: I try really hard not to drive at night, no matter what car I'm in.

Same here. The 100w H3's that come in the GW kit seem to do the job (when I can actually use them), but the DOT low/highs quickly reach a point of diminishing returns.

But those I may actually end up removing.. or at least just going back to 55/65 in the high/lows..
I've recently been tidying up my electrical panel, and when I went to re-do the light relays I noticed that the wires plugged into the "P" terminals had gotten a bit melty!!

I now have my relays re-done into sockets that clip into the panel, and I once again re-did the wiring..

Ended up having to move the Fog relay since it was hitting the air duct. But Now I got it all nice and tidy anyway. And room to grow (uber horns, anyone?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

As I said earlier my H3 euro high low rectangles have been great at stock wattage.
But these 37W LEDs from Amazon are amazing..about $50 with a harness 3hr install(for me..OCD Rolling Eyes )
These fill the near distance amazingly and do not seem to piss off the on coming drivers....they make great DRLs and Fogs
very happy with them

LEDs only on a dark night
takeiteasy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

So my '85 came with square headlights, and I do like the look of the rounds to start. I know there are different lamp options etc, but are the rounds considered an upgrade vs the squares? Thanks

"With your past and your future precisely divided.
Am I at that moment? I haven't decided."
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

Factory original the squares are better - 4 lamps with 2 being dedicated high beams. However upgraded rounds to new euroH4 lightsare cheap and rhen outperform the squares. Some like me upgraded their factory squares with a wiring harness and higher output bulbs and are happy. The problem with changing squares to rounds is you then must factor in a harness, mounting buckets and grille to the upgrade.

Some day I would like to compare my maximally upgraded factory squares to someones round H4s.....
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

takeiteasy wrote:
So my '85 came with square headlights, and I do like the look of the rounds to start. I know there are different lamp options etc, but are the rounds considered an upgrade vs the squares? Thanks

No, the squares are not an upgrade.
They have been largely hated for they as a rule perform poorly.

The alternatives have been very limited to get good square lighting. As a result many went back to the early round lights.

Recently it has been discovered that with a bit of work the European Ecode. H4 lamps can be fit into the same space as the stock VW lamp.

I did mine and all I can say is a huge WOW!!!!! I can see!

The link......
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583876&highlight=hella

It's not plug and play for sure, but it is completely worth the effort to make the change!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

The squares might have been good for a few years but the consensus is that 30 years on, they are worse than useless. You think you have headlights but you really don't.

The Hella E-code upgrade is not that hard to do or go to rounds if you can find a grille.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

cheapest and best upgrade is to get the '85 & earlier sheet metal mounts from a wrecking yard, and buy the round headlights from Amazon - a thread on here somewhere gives the exact info

then you will need to find a grill from an '85 & earlier to make it look pretty, or build your own

I put in the SA kit but is a lot of bucks and i had to buy the better lights from Amazon anyway
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
cheapest and best upgrade is to get the '85 & earlier sheet metal mounts from a wrecking yard, and buy the round headlights from Amazon - a thread on here somewhere gives the exact info

then you will need to find a grill from an '85 & earlier to make it look pretty, or build your own

I put in the SA kit but is a lot of bucks and i had to buy the better lights from Amazon anyway

How can you say "and best" when I seriously doubt you've driven a Van at night fitted with the Ecode Hella H4 upgrade?

It's simply an amazing performance upgrade!

I would NEVER claim that my Hella's are the "best" for quite honestly, my test reference field is quite small.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: