Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

R-1 RATT-V
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PareosWC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: R-1 RATT-V Reply with quote

Hello, guys. This is my first post, and I can tell I have a lot of reading ahead of me. I had no idea there were so many details that separate models of VW based vehicles Shocked

My offering is this R-1 Rescue All Terrain Transport. I used it as a Pararescueman in the AF, and now I'm closing the deal on owning one. This R-1 doesn't have a motor or tranny, but I recall that it either used a Type 1 or Type 4 motor, and perhaps mated to a 091 transmission- set up for automatic. Some guys say a 914 motor, then some say from a bus is fine?

I would like to keep it VW based as original, but some guys have talked about putting a Corvair motor and Powerglide tranny in it? Anyway, I appreciate the website, and if you have any recommendations as to what I should throw in it, I will be listening.

The plan is to first get it, then perhaps place a Type 1 and 091 in it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
danielzink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: R-1 RATT-V Reply with quote

If it's a type 4 motor then yes - bus or 914 - identical.

Dan

www.danielzink.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PareosWC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: R-1 RATT-V Reply with quote

Dan, would a Type 1 motor hooked up to a 091 be the easiest proposition? I would have to install a clutch pedal/linkage, as the original set up was an automatic transmission from a bus, I believe.

I wonder what challenges I would run into- a good bit of fab work??
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: R-1 RATT-V Reply with quote

Do a hydraulic clutch. Only fab is bolting in a pedal and running some brake line. Shouldn't take more than an hour to set it up.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630046
danielzink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: R-1 RATT-V Reply with quote

PareosWC wrote:
Dan, would a Type 1 motor hooked up to a 091 be the easiest proposition? I would have to install a clutch pedal/linkage, as the original set up was an automatic transmission from a bus, I believe.

I wonder what challenges I would run into- a good bit of fab work??

Aerindel wrote:
Do a hydraulic clutch. Only fab is bolting in a pedal and running some brake line. Shouldn't take more than an hour to set it up.

Aerindel is right. You could do a hydraulic setup as in most buggies/rails - easy. (something like this: http://www.appletreeauto.com/ECONOMY-PEDAL-KIT-AC7...CHpbw_wcB)

Run the 091 and go !

Dan

www.danielzink.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PareosWC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: R-1 RATT-V Reply with quote

So, I've learned a lot in the past 48hrs.

Apparently, the motor is indeed a Type 4, but may have been using an AUDI automatic transmission that was popular with off roaders in the 90's for buggies? The shifter appears to be an Art Carr design? But then that and the auto trans proposition appeared to be about $15K?

I believe a type 4 mated to a 091, and the hydro clutch is going to be the ticket on this build. Or a type 4 mated to VW bus auto trans?

bullnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: R-1 RATT-V Reply with quote

That thing is baddass!

Thanks for posting.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: