Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's the right timing on a 71 bug
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr cortes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: What's the right timing on a 71 bug Reply with quote

Hey guys I need help ,does anyone know what's the timing on a 71 bug w a 009 distributor w/o vacuum advance ? I read an article that it said it has to be 5°ATDC but on an other article said it has to be on 10°BTDC can anyone help.thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: What's the right timing on a 71 bug Reply with quote

Neither.

If you have to use a 009 at least time so it will work as well as it can. After you figure where TDC is on this thing (keeping in mind that the notch on the pulley from the factory was at 5º ATDC) time it so all of the centrifical advance is all in and make that point to be 30º +/- 2º. That should happen by about 300-3500 RPMS.

Let it loaf back to idle and note where that intial timing falls but don't change it.

A better distributor would be a plus to have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: What's the right timing on a 71 bug Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=251672

Use this thread to identify which pulley is on your engine. 5* ATDC is for a DVDA distributor with two different vacuum lines going to it.

Follow Randy's advice on how to time the 009. I also agree that the 009 isn't the most ideal distributor, especially if you're running a 34-3 distributor.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: What's the right timing on a 71 bug Reply with quote

See the two responses above. I agree 100%, and I do run a German 009 on my 1971.

The timing needs to be about 30 BTDC at about 3500 rpm, regardless of the distributor or carburetor. Then - like posted - the timing at idle or static timing falls where it does, and it does make sense to make note of that too.

Under those conditions, my German 009 static times to 7.5 BTDC, but that was manufactured 40 years ago; since then, South America or China is where they are made, and their quality is not the same....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mr cortes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: What's the right timing on a 71 bug Reply with quote

OK I may try that ,what kind and brand of distributor will u recommend?
pistolpetecowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: What's the right timing on a 71 bug Reply with quote

mr cortes wrote:
OK I may try that ,what kind and brand of distributor will u recommend?

For centrifugal applications, I'm partial to the Bosch 010 old cast iron distributor.
They show up occationally here on thesamba, less frequently on ebay.
Or you can buy a completely rebuilt one from Glenn - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=53482
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the right timing on a 71 bug Reply with quote

Other options include a Bosch 019 and (assuming you have the factory correct carb on this thing) the correct DVDA or SVDA distributor.

Any of those would be better than the 009 you currently have.
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the right timing on a 71 bug Reply with quote

Randy is correct with timing the 009. At 3500 RPMs you should be a max advance and you will set your timing around 30°BTDC, I say around as I have seen some run better at 28 and some run better at 32.
mr cortes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the right timing on a 71 bug Reply with quote

I have another distributor w vacuum advance but I couldn't set it right, here what :I did I set the pulley at TDC the rotor was pointing to sparkplug wire #1. When I set the vacuum advance distributor the rotor was pointing to sparkplug wire #2 , i change the wires Fire order and couldn't get it run . I know u probably think I'm stupid but don't know much about engines I'm just trying to learn.and the carburator its a solex 34 pic 3
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the right timing on a 71 bug Reply with quote

Some (possibly all??) of the 009 distributors have the distributor cap rotated 90 degrees off from the stock distributor. You just have to reposition the spark plug wires on the cap, #1 wire goes to whatever terminal the rotor is pointing to at TDC on cylinder #1. The firing order does not change.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the right timing on a 71 bug Reply with quote

mr cortes wrote:
... don't know much about engines I'm just trying to learn....

Have you picked up any VW workshop repair books yet? Read any of the detailed threads about this very topic? You have to do that in addition to asking and hoping for replies. TheSamba is its own google of all you wanted to know about your distributor, carb, timing, etc --if you search for it, someone's probably answered it already!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the right timing on a 71 bug Reply with quote

mr cortes wrote:
I have another distributor w vacuum advance but I couldn't set it right, here what :I did I set the pulley at TDC the rotor was pointing to sparkplug wire #1. When I set the vacuum advance distributor the rotor was pointing to sparkplug wire #2 , i change the wires Fire order and couldn't get it run . I know u probably think I'm stupid but don't know much about engines I'm just trying to learn.and the carburator its a solex 34 pic 3

I always put a new distributor in with the engine at TDC on the compression stroke for number 1. I then install the distributor and see where the rotor is pointing. I then put #1 spark plug wire where the rotor is pointing. Then move the rest of the spark plugs wires correctly on the cap. 1-4-3-2 is the firing order. As mentioned, different distributors point at different positions.

It's great that you're trying to learn! We've all been there. A good book to help you get up to speed quicker is How to keep your VW alive by John Muir. You can pick them up used for next to nothing.

What's the distributor numbers on the vacuum distributor you were trying to make work?

mr cortes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the right timing on a 71 bug Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the distributor w vacuum advance , already set it in the bug, just needs to get the right timing .
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: What's the right timing on a 71 bug Reply with quote

mr cortes wrote:

This is the distributor w vacuum advance , already set it in the bug, just needs to get the right timing .

Wow. If it were me. I'd rotate that dist 90* away from the intake manifold. Then re-index the spark plug wires. The way you have it set now if you move it far enough clockwise it will hit the intake manifold limiting your ability to properly adjust your timing.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: What's the right timing on a 71 bug Reply with quote

Agree with above. ^^^

Then, ditch that "Bruck", Chinese POS and get a rebuilt Bosch distributor.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: What's the right timing on a 71 bug Reply with quote

Two clamps on fuel line; do you wear both belt and suspenders?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
dubllyou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the right timing on a 71 bug Reply with quote

I think your 205N is vacuum only advance like the 205T I run. It wants to see vacuum signal from right below the venturi on the carb. Timing should be set at 0 degrees with vacuum source disconnected and plugged.

mr cortes wrote:

Wade

vwo60 wrote:
You cannot polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the right timing on a 71 bug Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Two clamps on fuel line; do you wear both belt and suspenders?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

mr cortes wrote:
I have another distributor w vacuum advance but I couldn't set it right, here what :I did I set the pulley at TDC the rotor was pointing to sparkplug wire #1. When I set the vacuum advance distributor the rotor was pointing to sparkplug wire #2 , i change the wires Fire order and couldn't get it run .... and the carburator its a solex 34 pic 3

Is your engine running w/ the 009 installed? If not, then you may not have the correct position for #1 spark plug wire on the distributor. I never trust the common locations or any markings on the distributor until I have confirmed definitely WHERE the #1 plug wire position SHOULD BE on the distributor.

This is how you find the #1 plug wire position on the distributor.... without first looking at the distributor rotor:
    Rotate the crank pulley until the TDC mark (or one of the timing marks) is lined up with the case split.

Remove the #3 & #4 valve cover (left side of the engine).

Rock the crank pulley back and forth a few inches and watch the #3 valves/rocker arms for movement. If the engine is at #1 TDC at the end of the compression stroke, #3 cylinder will be at the end of the exhaust stroke. The #3 exhaust will be closing and the #3 intake will be opening; so the rocker arms will be moving the valves.

If the #3 valves are NOT moving, rotate the crank pulley 360-deg and check again. Once you see that the #3 valves are moving while the TDC mark is near the case split, you know the cam and crank are in position for #1 TDC at the end of the compression stroke.

Remove the distributor cap. Look where the rotor tip is located. The #1 spark plug wire MUST BE located above the tip. Even if this is in the wrong location you know the engine is expecting the spark to go to the #1 cylinder so you MUST install the #1 plug wire over the tip of the rotor.

Look along the rim of the distributor for a small nick/notch. This is the mark to remind you where the #1 plug wire belongs. Now that you know the rotor tip is pointing to the #1 position, loosen the clamp bolt and rotate the body of the distributor until the mark lines up with the rotor tip. Now you can trust this mark is the reference for #1 plug wire.

If you rotated the distributor you should static time the ignition to around 5-7BTDC. This is good enough to get it started.

Install the cap and insert the #1 plug wire into the post that is closest to the rotor tip.

Install the remaining wires in the clockwise firing order of 1-4-3-2. Some will go CCW and use 1-2-3-4. It works out the same.

If you are not certain which cylinder are which, look at the engine tin in front of the spark plug holes. The cylinder numbers are embossed into the tins.

One point to take away from this. If you remove the distributor while it is pointing to #1 plug wire and install another. Once that new distributor is fully seated, the rotor MUST BE pointing to the #1 plug wire position, even if the rotor is pointing to a different position than the old distributor. Because you haven't rotated the crank, the engine cam/crank are still positioned and expecting the spark to be delivered to the #1 spark plug. The rotor MUST be pointing to the position for #1 plug wire.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
mr cortes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the right timing on a 71 bug Reply with quote

Hey about the clamps it better be safe than sorry Very Happy Very Happy thanks for the advice, what u think about a pertronix flame thrower 2 will that work better?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the right timing on a 71 bug Reply with quote

mr cortes wrote:
what u think about a pertronix flame thrower 2 will that work better?

I think that Petronix would be a great door stop. It's just another Chinese copy that many folks complain about on this site.

What carb are you running? Brand and size?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: