Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

In the club with an 87!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: In the club with an 87! Reply with quote

Well thanks to all you fine folks, I asked all the right questions and took a bit of a flyer on a recent eBay Westy and ended up winning right at the low end of my budget. Hopefully leaving enough to do some initial repairs as needed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's being shipped from Cali so I'm in the process of getting prepared for arrival later next week!

What have you guys gotten me into?

Last edited by chrisfreemanca on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: In the club! Reply with quote

Congratulations!

(and condolences)

The Haynes is a fun read, but you will need a Bentley as well.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=622563&highlight=critical+bought
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: In the club! Reply with quote

Nice looking rig! What year...87?

...and what's up with the bumpers? More pics please!

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: In the club! Reply with quote

Good luck with the van.

also recommend you buy the Bentley Official VW manual, thick as the New York City phone book, lot more info than the Haynes book.

of course most questions can be answered here, but we do encourage purchase of "The Book" as that really helps clear things up pretty well.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: In the club! Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Nice looking rig! What year...87?

...and what's up with the bumpers? More pics please!

- Dave

Yes it's an 87. I'm almost afraid to post too many pics cuz you guys will immediately tell me all the things wrong with it and it's not even in my driveway yet. Smile

The back bumper is a custom which i like to hold my bike rack, not sure about the front. Here's a few more:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outdoornate65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: In the club with an 87! Reply with quote

Welcome.....much fun to come.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: In the club with an 87! Reply with quote

I like '87's.... have fun.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: In the club! Reply with quote

chrisfreemanca wrote:
...I'm almost afraid to post too many pics cuz you guys will immediately tell me all the things wrong with it and it's not even in my driveway yet. Smile

Yeah, that's what friends are for. Just a matter of time until someone tells you (preferably in ALL CAPS with !!!!) to change a certain rubber hose component.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: In the club with an 87! Reply with quote

Nice looking ride! Congratulations!
Don't forget to change those fuel lines!

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: In the club! Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
chrisfreemanca wrote:
...I'm almost afraid to post too many pics cuz you guys will immediately tell me all the things wrong with it and it's not even in my driveway yet. Smile

Yeah, that's what friends are for. Just a matter of time until someone tells you (preferably in ALL CAPS with !!!!) to change a certain rubber hose component.

great minds...
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: In the club with an 87! Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:

-d

Yeah, trying to validate from PO documentation on last time they were changed. I should probably just go ahead and purchase the replacement kit and be ready.

Any preference of the GoWesty kit vs Van Cafe or someone else?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: In the club with an 87! Reply with quote

chrisfreemanca wrote:
raoul mitgong wrote:

-d

Yeah, trying to validate from PO documentation on last time they were changed. I should probably just go ahead and purchase the replacement kit and be ready.

Any preference of the GoWesty kit vs Van Cafe or someone else?

just make sure the hoses are lined to resist todays government mandated oxygenated fuels, which tend to rot unlined rubber hoses, can cause corrosion of metals, cuases lean burn and over heating in older cars, cost more per gallon, deliever worse mileage per gallon, drive up food prices and actually when growth of the corn, and conversion to alcohol and distillation are taken into account, actualy cause more "pollution" than regular gasoline does. thanks to the corn lobby and the politicians.

so a away get lined hoses. if youn have new hoses that are SAE certified you may be able to find a date of manufacture marked on the hose. also do take the time to rig up a high pressure hkses with clamps on oth ends in place of the vaccum hose on the fuel presssure regulator, that can prevent a fire if the diaphram ruptures.

remmember these vans are very sensitive to old antifreezs and head gasket leaks. so an every two year antifreeze change is highly recommended.

I really like Van Cafe as my vendor of first choice.

ps also remove the plastic fuel bulkhead fitting that is just above the flywheel, it can be bypassed, they are known to crack and leak fuel, mine and others have had this happen.

good lucky!!!!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: In the club with an 87! Reply with quote

Well, thanks for all that Vanagon related info. Rolling Eyes

Back to the topic: I believe the majority here would recommend the 30r9 rated fuel lines. I think this is what GoWesty's higher priced kit has.

There was a link in here somewhere for some reasonably priced hose from from a Ryder truck supply site. Search Ryder.

GW has crimp clamps that some love, others don't because you need a special tool and they are one time use.

-d
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: In the club with an 87! Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
Well, thanks for all that Vanagon related info. Rolling Eyes

Back to the topic: I believe the majority here would recommend the 30r9 rated fuel lines. I think this is what GoWesty's higher priced kit has.

There was a link in here somewhere for some reasonably priced hose from from a Ryder truck supply site. Search Ryder.

GW has crimp clamps that some love, others don't because you need a special tool and they are one time use.

-d

you can also buy the 30r9 hose at many autoparts stores 5/16th inch works you can also buy box of Ideal brand injection rated clamps at the autoparts store. do not forget the regulator small diameter vacuum hose and added clamps on same.

remember to bypass the plastic bulk head fitting. pass the hose thru a gromment (automotive pvc valve gromments van be found to fit the big hole) or simple pass the hose under the bulkhead secure to prevent chaffing.

good luck to you in all you vanagon journeys.

chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: In the club with an 87! Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

Wow, what a great spot! Especially since it looks like you could run power to it. Where is that?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: In the club with an 87! Reply with quote

Huh. A Titian red 87 with a three window tent. I was where you are a year ago.

Welcome, and enjoy.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: In the club with an 87! Reply with quote

Watched the two videos of your Westy on youtube. The body looks pretty good but he should have clean the engine compartment before putting it on ebay. I think the seller is an honest guy as he zoomed in to show all the faults
Where are you located?

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: In the club with an 87! Reply with quote

stevey88 wrote:
Watched the two videos of your Westy on youtube. The body looks pretty good but he should have clean the engine compartment before putting it on ebay. I think the seller is an honest guy as he zoomed in to show all the faults
Where are you located?

Yeah, I asked a few follow up questions on that engine because it was a little challenging to make out some stuff with it being so dirty.

He's been very good to work with so far during the process and while getting shipment arranged. He's poked around the engine some for me even since the auction closed to provide more feedback so I can prepare a few items for arrival. He's sold several vehicles on ebay and has all very positive feedback on those cars and transactions.

I'm in Birmingham.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: In the club with an 87! Reply with quote

chrisfreemanca wrote:
dobryan wrote:

Wow, what a great spot! Especially since it looks like you could run power to it. Where is that?

Haines, AK. Best camp spot ever. See the trip in my sig line. 😀

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Hybrid VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: In the club with an 87! Reply with quote

chrisfreemanca wrote:
Well thanks to all you fine folks, I asked all the right questions and took a bit of a flyer on a recent eBay Westy and ended up winning right at the low end of my budget. Hopefully leaving enough to do some initial repairs as needed.

Congrats on the new purchase! It looks like it's missing the front lip seal for the pop top. Super easy to put on a new one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: