Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Most reliable engine conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable engine conversion Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:
These well thought out kits have solved all the problems the early pioneers ran into.

I don't think this is entirely true. Listening to people's issues, there are lots of new things still popping up. The old issues are resolved, the new issues related to more complex engine management and some of the newer upgrades like SC bellhousing are still causing some people lots of trouble. And now the conversion are very different, with different components, different level of optional upgrades, and different generations motors. It adds to the complexity.

Here are some of the current issues. I'm sure people doing the latest version 2.5 engiones could list a bunch more.
Imobilizers
More complex emissions components and inputs
Bellhousing and clutch problems
Still having header cracking issues
Still various aftermarket sensor issues, VSS and others
And modifying a wiring harness and cutting and soldering new connections adds a level of uncertainty compared to an OE unmodified harness. Obviously depends on the quality of work, but still introduces a new variable.
Even though Bostig is relatively new, there have been changes to some of the components to address things. BTW, I'm not a Bostig basher. I guessing it is one of the more reliable conversions available with excellent support.

I'm still having some small issues with my quality pro-shop 2.5 conversion, mostly idle stuff that I will get sorted out. Burley oil pan is new, and it leaks. And my Stan's header is noisy, still trying to figure out if it is just loose somewhere.

The kits are obviously better. But the skill level of the customer, myself included, is far worse today than when all the conversions were done by DIY home mechanics. And expectations are much higher when you spend $12K or more for a professional conversion.

This just points to my argument about inline engines being simpler than boxers. You just don't see these complaints coming from the Zetecs. (by the way, Bostig has been around for nearly ten years)
As for the customers being somehow less able these days than of old is kinda silly. What, there are no good DIY home mechanics anymore? Like everything, YMMV.

TheWilliamAlan wrote:
Thanks! I am leaning toward a rebuilt stock motor. Newer van. I don't like complicated. Which is why I like aircooleds! I'd rather not have to deal with a swap to a motor of a different manufacturer done by who knows who in some garage.

To the OP, that rebuilt motor is a wildcard, and all the ridiculous add ons and cooling system kludges VW put onto that 60 year old design will still be there. If you have at least basic mechanical skills you can keep a modern engine running easily. It's really not that complicated. I stayed with air-cooled buses for way too long for that same misguided reason.

You have to remember that people tend to support the platform they have bought into, they have a ve$ted intere$t. (myself included) There is also that emotional investment.
If you're able to let go the notion of brand loyalty and can focus instead on actual gains, it opens up a whole new world. I'm a VW fan, but I've also owned many other brands, I can look honestly at the shortcomings of the VW product.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Abelabelabel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable engine conversion Reply with quote

I thought I had something to add, but I don't.

If the work is done well, you're all set.

With enough time and money anything is possible.

And for some reason, Vanagon owners as a collective must have a lot of both. Although, I wonder what the 356 forum is like. . .

I like my stock WBX. It's slow, but that's okay. More and more components on it are brand new or rebuilt with warranty.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable engine conversion Reply with quote

TheWilliamAlan wrote:

Thanks! I am leaning toward a rebuilt stock motor. Newer van. I don't like complicated. Which is why I like aircooleds! I'd rather not have to deal with a swap to a motor of a different manufacturer done by who knows who in some garage.

I'll suggest the Bostig is quite a bit less complicated and easier to work on in a number of ways compared to the wbx.

Rebuilds have similar risks and upsides to conversion. A GEX rebuild is reportedly far less reliable than a well-done conversion; a tencent rebuild is likely to be far more reliable than a conversion done by a hack.

Comparing different baselines is where these threads can go askew. Talk to a van owners with properly executed and maintained rebuilds or conversions and you'll talk to happy van owners who spend more time driving than working. Talk to a few van owners who had to grind their clutch disks down to 8mm in order to get the clutch to work and you may get a different story.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable engine conversion Reply with quote

This thread has grown and is likely doing so as I type this! Wink

re: davevickery comments. I was going to mention that we're basically R&D guinea pigs for product be it swap parts/design or OEM type parts.

Something important to consider when weighing out WBX vs another engine;
replacement cost when it blows far away from home.
A used WBX might get you home or last quite a while.
I'd gamble a guess that a used Zebec, Jetta, Suby would on average last longer
and likely hasn't been opened up for servicing or rebuilding.
i.e. the core hasn't been rebuilt at least twice.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable engine conversion Reply with quote

To keep my son's vanagon WBX reliable and function properly in the last 18 months I have replaced
Rebuilt AFM $235
Rebuilt throttle body $290
Rebuilt ECU $225
Rebuilt fuel injectors $200
Not counting intake manifold gasket and hoses, throttle body gasket, fuel pressure regulator, idle control valve(used), idle stab. control unit(used), fuel pressure regulator, temp 2 sensor, throttle position switch and cover, O2 sensor, fuel lines, upgraded alt. harness, alternator, water pump, oil cooler hoses, oil cooler o-ring and various hoses($) etc.
If he didn't have a rebuilt engine with 30K on the clock I would have chucked it and went with something else.
My subaru conversions get regular oil changes and tune up items but that is about it.

Whatever vanagon you get have the vehicle inspected by a mechanic that is knowledgeable in the platform. I strongly suggest that you drive various conversions if you can and that may help you narrow the search if you want to go in that direction.
I have had many aircooled cars and the reliability of the watercooled vanagon over them is definitely worth changing over for.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable engine conversion Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Never ceases to amaze me how quickly the master debaters can jump in with such drivel... Also, this was a question about which conversions are most reliable, not yet another debate about the WBX'ers vs conversion...

Oops, guess I need to re-read the original post.

TheWilliamAlan wrote:
...what would be the most reliable swap? Or should I only be looking at stock motor Vanagons?...

Or maybe you needed to re-read the original post?
CampWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable engine conversion Reply with quote

The short answer, if you want reliability, the Bostig Zetec should be your first choice. Longer answer follows below.

TheWilliamAlan wrote:

Ya I did my research and have my opinion but I couldn't find any thread that specifically compares the reliability of swaps.

I ran into the same problem a few years ago and had to piece together the puzzle to make sense of it. Most engine conversion threads became debates on more horsepower and/or blind brand loyalty. Reliability always seemed to be a secondary factor which always amazed me.

I could not agree more that the quality of the installer matters, whether DIY or "pro". I've seen hack-jobs for all of the options available, but there's also very nice DIY conversions out there.

I went with Bostig because their approach basically forces you to stay on track and eliminates variations. Just look at this thread, there's already long lists of potential problems you will run into trying to get a Subaru conversion on the road. This kind of list(s) of problems doesn't exist with Bostig, they have everything sorted out already. Just follow their directions.

Subaru conversions have more problems because there are lots of vendors and options to choose from. You can mix-and-match all kinds of parts which can become problematic for obvious reasons. Bostig has one set of instructions.

I wanted reliability. I didn't and don't care about brand loyalty. I wanted a simple engine to work on, reliable to begin with, and easy to find affordable parts for when I need them. The Bostig Zetec is the clear winner.
Vanagon Nation Facebook Group

Instrument Cluster Foil Repair Kits - Fix your faulty blue foil for good!
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable engine conversion Reply with quote

TheWilliamAlan wrote:
So I'm an air-cooled guy. But I'm in the market for a Vanagon. I need a daily driver (winter weather too) that can double as a camper, just a bed really don't want a stove or anything but I will need to put a carseat in.

I have been looking for a bit and done some research. I see TDI swaps, newer Golf/Jetta converts, Subaru... Not knowing a thing about water-cooled engines what would be the most reliable swap? Or should I only be looking at stock motor Vanagons? I assume I would be able to do a head gasket swap myself, or at least have it done fairly cheap.. I just don't want to breakdown like I do in my 67 bus, which I can usually get running myself.

You're kinda putting the cart in front of the horse. I'd like to make a couple of suggestions.

Find yourself a nice clean running stock tintop with a wbx. The backseat folds into a bed, so you good to go there as a bare-bones camper.

Live with the stock engine for a year before you think about a swap. It's not a bad little engine at all in my opinion - at least the 2.1 engines (no experience w/1.9 wbx) . I previously owned a '77 camper with a 2.0 aircooled engine. The Wasser is much easier to work on in comparison. I also owned a 71 bus with a 1600.

Another + for a wbx is you can find them used for a good price. In the past year, I bought two used 2.1's with unknown mileage & one clean low-mile 2.2 RJE wasser.

Good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable engine conversion Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:
Never ceases to amaze me how quickly the master debaters can jump in with such drivel... Also, this was a question about which conversions are most reliable, not yet another debate about the WBX'ers vs conversion...

Oops, guess I need to re-read the original post.
TheWilliamAlan wrote:
...what would be the most reliable swap? Or should I only be looking at stock motor Vanagons?...

Or maybe you needed to re-read the original post?

My jab was directed at those who boast about WBX'ers without conversion experience.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable engine conversion Reply with quote

At the core of the issue is not really design reliability, but the average condition and age of the components.

The newest WBX engine is 26 years old (excluding factory new crate engines). Unless you replace all the age affected components including wiring harnesses, hoses, sensors etc, they will continue to be reliability weak links so to speak.
There are many age and wear parts that are nearly impossible to find new, and are of questionable quality rebuilt.

For many parts aftermarket is the only option (and many are low quality at best!)

Don't get me wrong, a well maintained WBX is a good engine. But its getting increasingly difficult to do so! For the collectors and purists, there is nothing wrong with keeping the WBX alive. For those who use the vanagon for its utility, there are other options. it is getting to the point where many of these vehicles need most everything replaced. Harnesses, hoses, many sensors etc. At some point it makes sense to start over. A rebuilt WBX is still a reasonably cost method, but there are options.

An engine conversion will (hopefully) install a newer (read, more recent production run) engine with a better parts support ecosystem.

Design discussions aside, the WBX has a larger quantity of wear and age affected parts than several conversions (Bostig Zetec and VW I4 for example). Hoses and wiring protection seem to be design deficiencies compared to modern approaches (My opinion as it is).

My point is that just about any conversion that is sorted properly by a skilled mechanic will be reliable. How often do you hear of catastrophic engine failure with modern powerplants? Almost never. I personally lean towards the VW I4 offerings and the Zetec conversions. But there is plenty of options to choose from. Just adjust your budget and find a qualified person to do the work.
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215

Last edited by MidwestDrifter on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable engine conversion Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
Most of the problems you hear or experience with various conversions are related to the conversion itself, not the engines. Wiring issues can be the most frustraing to troubleshoot. Machanical failures of conversion parts is also common, whether it is an underlying design fault, incompatibility, or quality. The conversion parts get tested in the real world and every new part goes through revisions and people figure out better ways to do things.

You trade one set of issues for another. If you spend the money and take care of a stock engine and all related components it will be extremely reliable and not have any of the conversion specific issues. OTOH, if you do a conversion yourself, the problems that come up will not seem so daunting.

In case some of the conversion people have forgotten here are a few items that people have had to come up with ways to resolve.

Broken adapter plate bolts
Broken welds on muffler
Broken Engine mount
Wiring coming loose after time
Muffler hangers breaking
Headers slightly bent and not fitting
Incompatibility of header with skid plate or other conversion parts
ECU reloated to bad spot and corroding over time
DIY hoses (from the collection in the garage) were the wrong type and failed
Changes to Intake and Exhaust disturbed air/fuel ratio
Poor choice of air filter caused excessive dirt and air flow restriction
Things not fitting well in engine bay
Temp guage not setup to work with conversion
Heat/Cooling issues due to conversion
Tach not working with conversion
Mystery stumbling
Idle issues or stalling
Excess heat from Turbo in engine bay
Engine failure possibly from oil starvation after adding shortened pan
Transmission or Axle stresses and failure due to power increase
Clutch compaitibilty issues
ECU wiring can't include all OE sensors as they are not there on a vanagon
Muffler choices are often not as good as OE
Noise & Vibration Issues
Extra hose adapters, hose clamps, non OE brackets not working as well as OE
Differences in model year engines sometime require custom changes with conversion parts
Frustraing troubleshooting of a conversion you didn't do.
Throttle cable routing and sticking or harder to depress pedal
Starter not strong enough sometimes

I guess I have been very lucky.

For me it cam down to: HOW MANY BROKEN VANAGONS HAVE I HEARD ABOUT VS. HOW MANY BROKEN SUBARU'S

The answer was the decision
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable engine conversion Reply with quote

On this site (ironically), I'd say that they've achieved relative parity

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable engine conversion Reply with quote

Which one is best is a personal opinion.

As an avid DIY'er, I invested a lot of research into which one would be better for my Vanagon. The known longevity of the 1.8t was one factor in my choice. Simplicity of design another. Yet another was I purposely did not want to buy a "kit". Where's my fun in that? The only "kit" I purchased was a KEP adapter plate and flywheel. Everything else I needed was custom made in my garage. But, except for the custom motor mount, exhaust, intercooler plumbing, intake plumbing, and wiring is a box stock 1.8t and ECU.

My choice was based on my desires and abilities. I would spend the money and considerable time to do it all over again in a heartbeat with only minor changes. But that's me.

What is going to make you smile every time you drive away from home on the next excursion?

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable engine conversion Reply with quote

MidwestDrifter wrote:
At the core of the issue is not really design reliability, but the average condition and age of the components.

I just can't agree with this statement. Some engines and their supporting systems are just better designed than others. Superior design lends itself to longevity and easier/less maintenance.
VW made a business choice with the WBX'er. The Vanagon was their last rear engine platform and they decided to put a band-aid on the old boxer engine rather than develop a new engine from scratch. It was a mistake that cost them thousands of North American customers.

If the WBX're is so great why are there so many conversions?

ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable engine conversion Reply with quote

I have had an '87 tintop that went through two rebuilds, and my current '86 Weekender that has had two wbx's (one was used and installed to get me through one camping season), and now I have a SAH 1.8t. In 20,000 miles I have only leaked coolant once (from one of the two hoses that were original) and I have never leaked or burned a drop of oil. The performance is great too, but I'm mostly thrilled to not have the constant leaks. Any well thought out install will probably be rock solid for you.
Some people call him Maurice...

Last edited by ledogboy on Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable engine conversion Reply with quote

This thread is focused on reliability. I don't particularly like the design or its performance, but the WBX has proven to be a reliable engine.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable engine conversion Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
This thread is focused on reliability. I don't particularly like the design or its performance, but the WBX has proven to be a reliable engine.

"The most reliable engine CONVERSION"......hands down, the Bostig, with Ford Zetec 2.0 DOHC Exclamation

Not raggin' ya Zeit Wink
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable engine conversion Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
MidwestDrifter wrote:

I just can't agree with this statement. Some engines and their supporting systems are just better designed than others. Superior design lends itself to longevity and easier/less maintenance.
VW made a business choice with the WBX'er. The Vanagon was their last rear engine platform and they decided to put a band-aid on the old boxer engine rather than develop a new engine from scratch. It was a mistake that cost them thousands of North American customers.

If the WBX're is so great why are there so many conversions?

I don't disagree, but at this point a objective comparison is not easily made. The age of the vehicles and components are too different! In most any situation a well sorted conversion will be more reliable than an aged WBX engine. Regardless, the WBX is at the end of the regular use life stage. It has transitioned to the enthusiast/classic stage. I did touch on some of the more ridiculous design elements of the WBX in my post (hose count for example). I am trying to stay away from the "religious" viewpoints people hold about the unique WBX.

There is little benefit from arguing the merits of two designs when one is obsolete! Plus many conversions get newer design improvements. Such as hot-wire MAF, distributor-less ignition, overhead cams, knock control, and adaptive ECM programming. Cool
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable engine conversion Reply with quote

The most reliable engine is the one that isn't giving you any trouble.

Guy's with antique wasserleakers put thousands of miles on them with little or no problems.
The key to this however is prompt & faithful periodic maintainence.

I know guys with Subaru transplants who have had good luck with them, some guys not so lucky.

Some guys like oil burners.
Some are good to go for years without any issues, some not so lucky.

The only transplant I can say you see the least amount of problems with, or mentioned here anyway is the German Ford engine, Zetec.

Nothing is perfect, everything is a machine, anything can happen.

The Titanic was brand new, first trip out it failed.

So, what's the best , no problems engine?

Can't say, anything mechanical can be a pain in the arse, and it doesn't make any difference how much money you spend.
Anything can be problematic.

Go from there.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
caravelle c
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable engine conversion Reply with quote

The best engine for a conversion: aircooled Porsche 3.0 or 3.2 flat six!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: