Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shops for ball joint replacement in SF south bay area?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Shops for ball joint replacement in SF south bay area? Reply with quote

Hi,

I finally manage to pull out all trailing arms from a 69 beam. Can anyone recommend shops that can do the ball joint replacement in San Jose area?

Thanks,
Michael
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Shops for ball joint replacement in SF south bay area? Reply with quote

Give Peninsula Automotive in Campbell a call and see if they can still
do them.

Phone # (408) 378-7033
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Shops for ball joint replacement in SF south bay area? Reply with quote

Thanks! Already get the quote for $125 per hour and possible 1-2 hours labor Shocked . Looks like getting the refurbished ones from the vendors here is a better option...
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Shops for ball joint replacement in SF south bay area? Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
Give Peninsula Automotive in Campbell a call and see if they can still
do them.

Phone # (408) 378-7033

I'd never go back. It'll be 80% good, 20% crap.

They did my front suspension still have squeaks 2 years later. Or the time they did my steering box and didn't center it properly.

Only thing they didn't fuck up was the electrical.

Save your money.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Shops for ball joint replacement in SF south bay area? Reply with quote

Well SHIT..... I am really upset now Chabanais Brick wall since I have no control
over who Dave the owner hires to do the work. Perhaps you should have
gone back and complained about your situation.

As for me, I was really only thinking of what shop in san jose might still have the PROPER tools to replace the joints without fucking them up. Embarassed

another mistake for ME here on the Samba with all you week-end warriors. Mad
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Shops for ball joint replacement in SF south bay area? Reply with quote

What about buying them preassembled and doing the work yourself?

https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/parts/front-end/bus/3/

I know sgkent went this route although he didn't seem to happy with the condition of the arms (if I remember correctly) but he was able to go there in person and pick out what he wanted.
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Shops for ball joint replacement in SF south bay area? Reply with quote

buy parts from peninsula, never have them work on your car.

if you need someone to work on your aircooled look up Kirkwood VW in campbell. they are about a mile from peninsula and does 10000% better work. And yes they can do balljoints. i had them done on my 67 bug there several weeks ago.
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Shops for ball joint replacement in SF south bay area? Reply with quote

Peninsula isn't all bad. I've been going there for ~30 years.I've had far more good experiences than bad and the bad they fixed. Remember that this is a tough business. Everyone wants quality and few are willing to pay for it.

On this topic of ball joints, I got new arms from Wolfgang (See my experience: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627593&highlight=). Live and learn.

If you go for new arms, I'd keep your originals. I'm glad I did for my next set of ball joints. You never know how jack'd up the reconditioned one are. Reconditioned here is essentially cleaned, painted and new ball joints pressed in.
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Shops for ball joint replacement in SF south bay area? Reply with quote

lintbrush wrote:
Peninsula isn't all bad. I've been going there for ~30 years.I've had far more good experiences than bad and the bad they fixed. Remember that this is a tough business. Everyone wants quality and few are willing to pay for it.

On this topic of ball joints, I got new arms from Wolfgang (See my experience: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627593&highlight=). Live and learn.

If you go for new arms, I'd keep your originals. I'm glad I did for my next set of ball joints. You never know how jack'd up the reconditioned one are. Reconditioned here is essentially cleaned, painted and new ball joints pressed in.

one bad experience should be lesson learned.

tore up interior panels, refurbished long blocks with oil pressure issues, bus fuel gage diagnoses - determine gage is bad replaced with cheap vdo gage and kept (or lost?) the orginal gage, tune-ups completed but left dry rotted fuel hoses and exhaust leaks etc. these are just some experiences with them from myself and people I know.

Dave is a good guy, known him for years and i'll happily pay him for parts but i will never ever have his shop work on my cars and recommend to friends not to do so either. Prices and shop labor rates are what they are, and this is not an excuse for not wanting to pay for quality, it is a matter of paying SF Bay Area market prices for shoddy work! Go down the street to Kirkwood VW and things are night and day as far as quality of work. prices are about the same.
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Shops for ball joint replacement in SF south bay area? Reply with quote

67jason wrote:
lintbrush wrote:

one bad experience should be lesson learned.

tore up interior panels, refurbished long blocks with oil pressure issues, bus fuel gage diagnoses - determine gage is bad replaced with cheap vdo gage and kept (or lost?) the orginal gage, tune-ups completed but left dry rotted fuel hoses and exhaust leaks etc. these are just some experiences with them from myself and people I know.

Dave is a good guy, known him for years and i'll happily pay him for parts but i will never ever have his shop work on my cars and recommend to friends not to do so either. Prices and shop labor rates are what they are, and this is not an excuse for not wanting to pay for quality, it is a matter of paying SF Bay Area market prices for shoddy work! Go down the street to Kirkwood VW and things are night and day as far as quality of work. prices are about the same.

You may be right - that sounds horrible. I go there with very specific needs only, get my quote, and exact details of what work they will be doing. Prior to that I've also already self-diagnosed and researched, etc. I'll checkout Kirkwood for comparison next time around. Always open to shop options, especially in this bit of a niche segment. I wish there was an Aeromech here in the Bay Area!

Thanks for the insight, Jason.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Shops for ball joint replacement in SF south bay area? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
What about buying them preassembled and doing the work yourself?

https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/parts/front-end/bus/3/

I know sgkent went this route although he didn't seem to happy with the condition of the arms (if I remember correctly) but he was able to go there in person and pick out what he wanted.

I wasn't. They got pristine torsion arms in exchange for me having to go thru three boxes to find 4 good arms. In fact the ones I accepted were C+ grade or better and the ones I rejected C- or worse. Before I drove 6 hours to deal with this they told me they could rebuild mine while I waited but when I got there they said they didn't do that anymore. I should have walked out and had mine rebuilt.
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Shops for ball joint replacement in SF south bay area? Reply with quote

Thanks all! I have called Kirkwood but unfortunately they don't have the press to do the job Sad

Sounds like getting preassemble arms from wolfgang may not be a good idea. Have any one tried

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=864068

or have other recommendations?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Shops for ball joint replacement in SF south bay area? Reply with quote

If you do exchange them. Make sure you let them know you need the 68-69 Torsion Arms. Shock studs are (10mm threads X 28mm long)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Click a link
Ball Joints

Good luck
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: