Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 vw engine smog equipment
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Infotraker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: 1967 vw engine smog equipment Reply with quote

I am currently dealing with California dmv. I got a vin number inspection, now need to go to the Bar smog inspection people. What smog equipment is needed for a 1967 engine ? Also was told that I needed a brake and light inspection. The buggy was previously registered in Oregon for on road use. Is there any way to get out of that inspection since is was on the road before, one shop said it will cost over $300 to inspect.
Thanks for any info.
[/b]
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 vw engine smog equipment Reply with quote

You don't have to smog. I own a 70 I don't smog. I think CA cutoff is 74.
firehorse02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 vw engine smog equipment Reply with quote

Yeah, pre 1975 vehicles do not require a smog. Who is telling you that you have to get a smog done?
Infotraker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 vw engine smog equipment Reply with quote

I am going back to ca dmv next week to continue reg process. Hopefully no smog or brake inspection needed for on road use. I may just go for off-road if dmv on road process is to to involved and costly.
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 vw engine smog equipment Reply with quote

What year is on the title or paperwork? that makes the difference. if its all '67 then no smog.
Infotraker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 vw engine smog equipment Reply with quote

Chp did a vin inspection and put 1967 engine on the paper work.
Also stated the vehicle was previously registered on road in Oregon, last registered in 2008 as special construction vehicle.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 vw engine smog equipment Reply with quote

What was your question?...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 vw engine smog equipment Reply with quote

What kind of death trap is this? We need pictures.
firehorse02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 vw engine smog equipment Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
What kind of death trap is this? We need pictures.

Good question,

I saw 1967 and was thinking it was a Baja bug. After reading the post again, I see that it is not.

What does the title of the vehicle say? In California, the year of the engine has nothing to do with the year of the vehicle. If I put a 1967 bug engine into a 1980 Toyota, it doesn't make that Toyota a 1967.

If there is a title on the vehicle then California will go by the year that the Title states. If it is a special construction, then there are ways to qualify to be smog exempt but I am not well versed in that aspect of CA DMV law. I do know of some of the Rat Rod guys that have built something from the ground up. Their title says manufactured in 2010 but they are still smog exempt.

Once again, the answers to your question lies in what year the TITLE says your vehicle is and not what year your engine is.
firehorse02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 vw engine smog equipment Reply with quote

Forgot to mention,

Welcome to the Republic of California. You will quickly learn that what is okay for other states, doesn't fly here.
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 vw engine smog equipment Reply with quote

I recommend moving to a free country. There are people who will help you cross the border and find you a gun, job and place to live once you escape from the People Republic.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630046
Infotraker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 vw engine smog equipment Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

no title, just bill of sale. Vin inspection from ca chp put engine year as 1967. No year for body as it is a special build. So back to dmv to continue the path to registration.
firehorse02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 vw engine smog equipment Reply with quote

Holy hell Eh? ,

My Rhino looks more street legal than that thing.

Have fun,

Hopefully Cali doesn't give you too much hassle.

You will most likely need to do that brake and light inspection though.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 vw engine smog equipment Reply with quote

That's gonna be fun with the dmv. Good luck.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 vw engine smog equipment Reply with quote

Kinda looks like a EMPI "Sportster"

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
firehorse02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 vw engine smog equipment Reply with quote

Here's some light reading that might help answer your questions.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/spcnsreg

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/spcns
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 vw engine smog equipment Reply with quote

Take it back up north and trade it for weed.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 vw engine smog equipment Reply with quote

So if it has already been ID'd as a 1967, then it is smog exempt in California.

Those links provided by firehorse02 tell the story.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 vw engine smog equipment Reply with quote

And if you had to worry about smog equipment, all you had in 1967 was the crankcase breather hose going to the air cleaner and the rubber valve on the condensation drain tube "down pipe" from the oil filler.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Infotraker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 vw engine smog equipment Reply with quote

My setup does not have a oil filter.

If I can not get around the brake and lite check inspection I will go for off road only. The brake and lite check is expensive for a 1967, taking all brake drums off etc.
Thanks for the input.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: