Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Caster shims installation
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Caster shims installation Reply with quote

Hello,

I installed dropped spindles this winter on my 58 beetle, and yesterday after a first ride on the motorway at 100km/h, I noticed the car is not as stable as it was before. I certainly need to install caster shims on my front axle. To do so, I think I only need to :

* unscrew the 4 bolts from the axle to the frame,
* remove the 2 lowes screws,
* install the shims
* and use the longer screws, part of the kit.

Is it ok acording to you ?

Additional question : I heard that some may have problems with the steerin box, is it the case with only 1 catser shims on each side of the front axle ? If yes, what needs to be done to overcome this problem ?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by paf on Mon May 02, 2016 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Caster shims instalaltion Reply with quote

I did this on a ball joint recently. You don't need the longer bolts for a single shim install. Just loosen all four bolts and slip in the shims behind the bottom beam and frame head. Tighten them to the correct torque. You will have to re-index the steering box so that the "rag" joint is not distorted when you turn the steering wheel.
Once all that is done you need to check the toe in/out of the tires so that you have the correct geometry. Some say 1/16" to 1/8." 1/8" seems a bit much.
After the install on my car it was sooooo much more stable Very Happy at highway speeds.
Good Luck

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Caster shims instalaltion Reply with quote

Hello,

Not sure I catch what is the "toe"... How do you re-index the steering box ? Thanks.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Caster shims instalaltion Reply with quote

paf wrote:
Hello,

Not sure I catch what is the "toe"... How do you re-index the steering box ? Thanks.

Sorry. It may just be a language barrier.
Toe is the distance between the tires. Toe in is the tires in front of the axle are closer together. Toe out is the tires are farther apart in front of the axle. I hope this makes sense.
To re-index the steering box. Loosen the bolts securing the box to the upper beam. Rotate the steering box so that the steering shaft and the input shaft in the steering box are aligned. Once you have it aligned tighten the steering box bolts.
If your not sure of the toe setting. I suggest you take your car to an alignment shop and have them reset it for you.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Caster shims instalaltion Reply with quote

Ok I catch it now, sorry my english is not as fluent I wish.

OK thanks for the steering box, this is easy then.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Caster shims instalaltion Reply with quote

paf wrote:
Ok I catch it now, sorry my english is not as fluent I wish.

OK thanks for the steering box, this is easy then.

Your English is just fine. It's better than mine. LOL And English is my first language. Shocked
Have a great weekend.

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Caster shims instalaltion Reply with quote

Look here . . . "Toe" . . . http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/tech-wheeltoeintoeout.php
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Caster shims instalaltion Reply with quote

Ok many thanks. I got it now. I was suppsoed to do it after installing my dropped spindles, so I will just wait for the caster shims to be installed before.

Have a great week end.
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Caster shims installation Reply with quote

Hello,

I have an additional question. To install caster shims on my link pin axle do I have to loosen those bolts :

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

?

These are the two bolts (arrows) that attach the body to the upper axle tube. Because for that I need to remove the fuel tank, and this is a more difficult job that expected. Thanks.

Last edited by paf on Mon May 02, 2016 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Caster shims installation Reply with quote

NO

paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Caster shims installation Reply with quote

Thanks, I have seen that those bolts are not under the fuel tank, but located close to the spare tire, then accessible.

But although I tried to install those shims yesterday, I did not complete the job as I was unable to remove one of the bolts attaching the axles to the frame. My car is drivable without being dangerous, so I think I will do that later this winter, because nice weather is expected now, and I want to cruise...

to be continued...
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Caster shims installation Reply with quote

Just wanted to pipe in and say that I added caster shims to my lowered ghia - or should I say - slammed ghia.

WOW!
Shocked Laughing

They made such a difference in the ease of steering and the return to center. Can't believe I went 3 years without the knowledge this would help.
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Caster shims installation Reply with quote

Hello,

I am doing this job now, and I faced a problem : one bolt broke while trying to unscrew it (it was so corroded that the bolt was only 9mm diameter instead of 12mm where it broke...). I have to dismantle the whole beam to remove it. But this is not for that that I post here.

I ordered new bolts to replace the broken one, and I received them with a spring washer. On the beam they are currently installed with a lock plate instead of the spring washer. I have spare lock washers, but I am wandering which installation is the best. I know that after a certain date they move from lock plate to spring washer, at the same time they shifted to ball joint maybe. So it means that both technics are OK for the beam to frame attachment, but the last one (spring washer) has been chosen for the last installation so it may be better. any advices ? Thanks.
All_talk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Caster shims instalaltion Reply with quote

[quote="67rustavenger"]
paf wrote:
To re-index the steering box. Loosen the bolts securing the box to the upper beam. Rotate the steering box so that the steering shaft and the input shaft in the steering box are aligned. Once you have it aligned tighten the steering box bolts...

You will not be able rotate the steering box because there is a pin on the beam tube that locks into a notch in the clamp. Its possible that not all aftermarket or modified (narrowed) beams have this pin but the originals do. So to rotate the steering box you will need to grind the pin off the beam or modify the notch in the clamp.

Gary
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Caster shims installation Reply with quote

Ok but it seems that for only 1 shim (each side), it is not really needed to reindex. Anyway I will see shortly.

About my question on spring washers VS locking plate, no advices ?
All_talk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Caster shims installation Reply with quote

I'm not sure the factory ever used lock washers on the steering box bolts, I have worked on several ball joint beams and all had the lock plate.

I use the lock plate... safety first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Caster shims installation Reply with quote

Hello,

Not on the steering box, I am dealing with lock plate on the axle to frame bolts.

But OK, I will use as factory outlet : lock plate, you are right safety first. Thanks.
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Caster shims installation Reply with quote

Hello,

I succeed to remove the broken bolt and all the other one. I would like now to tap the insert to clean it and make it back as new. I think this thread is a M12*1.5 (this is what I find out) but would like to have a confirmation before doing something wrong. Thanks.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Caster shims installation Reply with quote

Try a nut of that size on one of the other bolts. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Caster shims installation Reply with quote

Thanks.

I used a gauge on one of the bolt, and it is confirmed to be a 1.5mm thread. Insert is tapped, and clean now. All I need is to put everything back on the car with caster shims.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: