Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air-cooled: Major oil leak
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MegantheVanagonOwner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Air-cooled: Major oil leak Reply with quote

Hi all! I'm new to this forum as well as new to being a Vanagon owner! Just trying to do some troubleshooting. My van has an oil leak. It will leak before it even gets to running. Overnight, it can leak about a half quart of oil (if I put that much in). It's not leaking down in one spot, but rather dripping down in three to four spots off of that panini press looking piece (please don't judge me! Hah).

Anyone have any guesses or places to start looking?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: MAJOR oil leak Reply with quote

This leak identification operation will take some investigating--

Crawl under the back end of the van, look up, and take a good look to locate where it may be coming from.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: MAJOR oil leak Reply with quote

Welcome.

If its an air cooled, you may have to pull the lower shrouding down to see further up. Don't rule out items above r on top that may be letting oil run down. This isn't as likely as you say it leaks when not running and the oil is in the bottom portion of the engine. Push rod tube seals? Best guess without pics.

Clean the areas with Simple Green or Purple Power and a rag or compressed air to dry. this will give you a better idea of the path from the oil

Make sure you inspect furl lines wile you are looking around Smile
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: MAJOR oil leak Reply with quote

welcome Smile

please tell us what year your van is.
the pannini press looking thing is the bottom of the crankcase.
if it's leaking without even running i would have to suspect the drain plug or its severely over filled.

could be other options depending on year.
hope you're ready for a crash course in mechanics.
MegantheVanagonOwner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: MAJOR oil leak Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far!
It's a 1980 air cooled, and yes, I've been well prepped for my upcoming crash course in mechanics Wink
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: MAJOR oil leak Reply with quote

Easiest thing to check is the valve cover gaskets. They can easily leak as you've described.

Are the air cooled vanagon valve covers the same as the busses? They're just held on with a spring wire.
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: MAJOR oil leak Reply with quote

MegantheVanagonOwner wrote:
Hi all! I'm new to this forum as well as new to being a Vanagon owner! Just trying to do some troubleshooting. My van has an oil leak. It will leak before it even gets to running. Overnight, it can leak about a half quart of oil (if I put that much in). It's not leaking down in one spot, but rather dripping down in three to four spots off of that panini press looking piece (please don't judge me! Hah).
Anyone have any guesses or places to start looking?

Water cooled? Check the oil cooler that is between the filter and the engine My van sat for a few years prior to my getting it and the seal dried up and was causing some scary leaks...

Hope this helps.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: MAJOR oil leak Reply with quote

What's a "panini press" and will it make my Van go faster?

Seriously, though, a few pictures of the leak area are worth a few thousand words.
MegantheVanagonOwner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: MAJOR oil leak Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far!
It's a 1980 air cooled, and yes, I've been well prepped for my upcoming crash course in mechanics Wink
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: MAJOR oil leak Reply with quote

on an air cooled, T4 engine the "taco plate" (rear, right) and strainer plate (middle) would be prime suspects.
if it's leaking while not running from anywhere other than the drain plug or these two places, it is overfilled with oil, possibly oil/gas mixed.

use caution on the strainer plate nut. it is only torqued to 7ft/lb!
if it's already broken, then you are in pretty deep dookie.

good luck!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: