Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roof frame for convertible 1303
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wonderwoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Roof frame for convertible 1303 Reply with quote

Hi guys,

this is my first post (but I'm sure it won't be my last lol). My partner bought a 1977 1303 karman convertible years ago and I am now doing her up, or at least I'm trying to! So one of the bigger issues is that one of the roof bars looks all bubbled up and has a big dip in the middle - humidity must have caused it to corode badly. I haven't had them out yet (I think the fabric lining on the inside will tear...) but I am pretty sure, given how badly bent it is, that we need either a new bar, if that is possible, or a whole new roof frame or mechanism.

However, I'm struggling to find one here in the UK... has anyone got any idea where I might find one?
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Roof frame for convertible 1303 Reply with quote

Chucks is your best bet in the USA, He sells parts and rebuilds frames. I'm sure shipping a frame back and forth from UK would be very pricey. But he can lead you in best direction on parts

http://www.chucksconvertibleparts.com/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wonderwoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Roof frame for convertible 1303 Reply with quote

BUGGED11111 wrote:
Chucks is your best bet in the USA, He sells parts and rebuilds frames. I'm sure shipping a frame back and forth from UK would be very pricey. But he can lead you in best direction on parts

http://www.chucksconvertibleparts.com/

Thanks! Yeah I guess shipping something as heavy and bulky as that would be quite expensive to ship over to the UK.

Is there anything else I could do? Are there any replacement bows that fit (all I can find is the wooden bows but this one is metal, and the wooden ones are super expensive, too) - the bow that is broken is the second one up from the bottom, like the one in the "corner" of the roof.
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof frame for convertible 1303 Reply with quote

Those pieces of the late vert frames aren't something I've ever seen sold anywhere.

If were me I would try to find a place locally that does welding. There's nothing to the frame that a good welder couldn't fabricate and install. Another option is contact chucks, have them ship just the part(s) you need and have a welder install it.

I'm saying you need a welder because if your talking about the piece I think you are, it will need to be welded onto the frame by someone who knows their stuff. If it's off just a little your frame will have trouble closing properly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof frame for convertible 1303 Reply with quote

I think my own frame had a broken weld and I made a repair bracket and riveted it on.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: