Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine number and Carb questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kanester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Engine number and Carb questions Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.

I got this motor as part of a package deal. I found the vin number thread and can't figure out what year this thing is. Posted here cause it's 12v.

What year is it? Size too?

Also what is this thing attached to the carb? Never seen one.

Thanks in advance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number and Carb questions Reply with quote

The engine is a 68. If the engine has not been rebuilt it is a 1500cc single port. The thing on the carb is or was used for emissions.
Do use the Technical tab and look up you VIN, engine, all sorts of info.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number and Carb questions Reply with quote

Engine looks like it falls somewhere in the latter part of 1968, see the charts on this page:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

The last picture shows a throttle positioner, it was a smog control device that prevents the throttle from snapping shut when you take your foot off the accelerator pedal. It holds the throttle open a small amount for a couple of seconds before letting it close completely. Most of those have been discarded over the years.
Kanester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number and Carb questions Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

I did a search and found a different chart that wasn't as detailed.

Makes sense on the throttle positioner.

Is it something someone would want for a resto?
As in should I throw it on the classifieds or is it just dumpster material?
LocknFestBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number and Carb questions Reply with quote

Kanester wrote:
Thanks guys!

I have had several '68's over the years and have one now. I bought it a year ago and it had a slight exhaust leak. It turns out that in 68 they were experimenting with the case alloys and the 68's were prone to the studs pulling out of the cases and causing head/cylinder blow by. I drove it to Florida and back, two 6 hour trips to Va, and a 3 hour trip to NC with my daily driver and it kept on going. I only changed it out because I had a replacement 68 engine, it doesnt have any blow by at all.
I dont plan on doing anything to this engine other than keeping it bone stock.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number and Carb questions Reply with quote

Kanester wrote:
Thanks guys!

Makes sense on the throttle positioner.

You have a very original engine there with the correct carb and it's throttle positioner. It was noted already that most folks throw the throttle positioners out. However, people like me and others continue to use the throttle positioners. They are cool in my mind and it's so rare to see them on an engine and actually working anymore. I have them working on both my stock engines that came with them.

Understand that over the decades, many "experts" removed all sorts of parts from these engines "cuz, they weren't needed". Think thermostats and shroud flaps and removing original distributors for POS 009's. Now, people who take the time to put all the original, restored equipment back on their engines that the smart engineers deemed important are finding out how wonderfully nice their engines run.

Someone on this site with decades of VW mechanical experience made a statement that is deadly true. He said the vast majority of classic VW owners cars don't run very well, yet they think they do. If you put them in a restored VW with a bone stock, original engine, they'd be shocked at how well they actually run.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637886&highlight=

Here's a thread I did when I rebuilt one of the throttle positioners. It includes a video of it working.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LocknFestBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number and Carb questions Reply with quote

What wcfvw69 said is so true. If you are lucky enough to still have the throttle positioner, there's a good chance you still have the thermostat too. I was really glad that mine still had the thermostat still on it.
Kanester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine number and Carb questions Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the info.

I get that the resto guys would want to keep the TP.

LocknFest I checked and no thermostat.

The sad thing is this motor sat outside with just a tarp on it and no plugs in it so yeah... It's frozen. I might try and take it apart to see how bad it is some day.
If anything I'll piece the motor out.

I'm working on my 65 right now and have a 69 to do next.

My 69 is unmolested except for the steering wheel.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: