Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

crankshaft bounce
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ratrodtrike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: crankshaft bounce Reply with quote

Yes that will be checked and other things. All advice is good advice the only difference is whether we use it or not so keep it coming.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: crankshaft bounce Reply with quote

Main bearings in these are tricky.
Some engines you could say replacing bearings is always a good idea, but not these.
Where in colorado are you?
ratrodtrike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: crankshaft bounce Reply with quote

These I had to replace the rear main went out and emptied the oil. Destroyed two bearings. I'm in Greality. Work in Windsor at O-I
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: crankshaft bounce Reply with quote

I would not mind lending a hand, but You are almost as close to mofoco as you are to me. oh well.
Painters grinding in denver has a good reputation with cases and line bore.
ratrodtrike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: crankshaft bounce Reply with quote

Ok so I did not know the main bearings are not stamped with the line bore or thrust. Turns out my case was line bored .040 and the thrust was cut .040. I got the right bearings and reassembled the engine. It runs really really good! Wheelies all day in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. Tons of fun! That is until I got home and oil was pouring from the rear main, new seal and O-ring and the end play was .003. Any ideas? Does anybody make a sleeve or something for the flywheel? There was a slight groove cut in the flywheel where the oil seal rides I'm thinking that's gotta be the problem.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: crankshaft bounce Reply with quote

I hope you torqued the flywheel gland nut with all you could put on it.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: crankshaft bounce Reply with quote

You can try and move the seal so it doesn't hit the groove, either bottom it in the case or leave it flush with the back, depending on how it is set now. Also take some emory paper and polish the seal surface of flywheel and give it a couple coats of DFL (let it dry all the way before you reinstall). Grease seal lip as well.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
luvthemvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: crankshaft bounce Reply with quote

There is a small hole/passage drilled in the engine case behind the oil seal. If that passage is plugged it will let oil under pressure build up and be the source of a huge oil leak. Since the seal has to come out anyway, be sure that passage is clear and the oil seal flange does not obstruct it.
Party on.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: crankshaft bounce Reply with quote

I got rearended and bent the pulley.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: crankshaft bounce Reply with quote

I've run the dual main seals wth good success.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratrodtrike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: crankshaft bounce Reply with quote

The drain hole is clear, I emoryed the flywheel surface, I greased the inner lip of the seal, their is no groove in the flywheel. The seal split on the outer surface along the spring. I put the seal in flush so I think I will install the next one a mm or so further into the case.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: crankshaft bounce Reply with quote

Embarassed I can sympathise with that- First build for a trike after 20 years off- and I got a set of chinese bearings with the wrong center main- so- being used to getting german bearings and quality- I put it together checking everything except center mains as "like really- who does that." Question Question

The results were a great running engine that grenaded in a 1000 a thousand miles.

It sounded great at idle but mid-range it sounded like the pistons were swapping holes.

So- being embarrassed and surprised I just swapped the tin to a new rebuild with german bearings and never looked d back- That motor is still on the road and doing fine- the dead one sits in a crate on the porch. If I ever need a set of heads I'll see if I can find it. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: crankshaft bounce Reply with quote

Mikedrevguy wrote:
I've run the dual main seals wth good success.

How do you do that?-- heard of 2 drain holes, but 2 main seals?

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: