Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

57 bug roof
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaliforniaBullies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: 57 bug roof Reply with quote

I'm getting my cousins 57 bug and the roof has some damage due to people using it as a place to store rims. If I was to replace the roof what years would work. Also if I found a ragtop roof section what years would work?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
CaliforniaBullies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 bug roof Reply with quote

Will a 63 ragtop roof section fit, or does it have different dimensions?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 bug roof Reply with quote

It depends on how much of the roof you plan on replacing. If you want to cut at the posts, then NO, the later roof will not work because the windshield opening is a different shape.
CaliforniaBullies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 bug roof Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, just the top skin where the ragtop would have been
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 bug roof Reply with quote

CaliforniaBullies wrote:

Your gonna need the inner structure from the donor as well. Not just the top skin. I'm no expert. Just offering a little advice. There was a recent post where a fellow grafted an early rag top on his car. He cut his top off down to the windshield support. NOT THROUGH IT!
Regarding your 48f1. If you don't like any of the potential foster homes that have been offered up. I'll be happy to give it a great home Very Happy .
Welcome to the samba. Now post some pics of your 57 beetle so everyone here can give you advice as to what to do it. Trust me, there will be no shortage of suggestions.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 bug roof Reply with quote

CaliforniaBullies wrote:

In that case, a '58-'63 ragtop section will work fine.
Look here for the necessary measurement for your '57 so that you will be sure to get the opening in the correct location . . . http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=653140
CaliforniaBullies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 bug roof Reply with quote

Thanks I appreciate that link, that helped a lot
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 bug roof Reply with quote

You are welcome . . . and thanks for thanking me! Cool

Be aware that the inner support braces are very necessary and, in your case (later roof on early car), might need to be modified to fit.
Compare the inside 'header panel' on the two cars (where the inside mirror and the sun-visors attach), and you will see the difference.
The openings in the roof for all the "two-fold" ragtops (late 1956 to 1963) share the same dimensions.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: