Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Website improvement suggestions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Website improvement suggestions Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
tootype2crazy wrote:
easy e wrote:
tootype2crazy wrote:
I would like to have an easier way to get to the topics I started from the homepage. As it is I have to click my watched threads or go to my profile to get to them. Watched threads show me other people's threads that I have to wade through to find my own and topics I started under 'my profile view' is too many page loads to get to them.

Would this do it for you?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yeah something like that would be nice.

This is a good idea and it is done. It's "My Topics" though as the site uses the term "Topics".

Thanks Everett! I now have no complaints! Very Happy
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
ricekooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Website improvement suggestions Reply with quote

Bring back the old classified search. The "*" thing stinks. Or maybe I'm just lazy?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Website improvement suggestions Reply with quote

ricekooker wrote:
Bring back the old classified search. The "*" thing stinks. Or maybe I'm just lazy?

The old one was killing the site so... No.

You don't have to use * unless you want wildcards.
If you are having a specific issue finding something, please start a new Site thread detailing the problem and I will answer it.

Also using the * logic is more consistent with how the Forums and Gallery searches have always worked.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Website improvement suggestions Reply with quote

Hi Everett

I have 2 related suggestions.
In your recent fix you added another link to the "Forums" drop down menu. Could you also add a link to the "Watched Topics", ie http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=watchlist

Also, on the watchlist itself, is there way to add an icon that will jump you to the unread posts like on the forum itself?

I realize the second might be harder, but the watchlist is far less useful when I can't tell if there are new posts on the topics unless I see that the order has shifted.

Thanks again.

My 1968 Campmobile
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Website improvement suggestions Reply with quote

First part - Done

Second part - This is much more difficult and for now I will say this might not be possible in that listing without an unreasonable amount of work.
I will take a look though.
For now, I would look at the "Last Post" column so you can see which threads say "Today" or "Yesterday" to indicate possible new posts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Website improvement suggestions Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
First part - Done

Second part - This is much more difficult and for now I will say this might not be possible in that listing without an unreasonable amount of work.
For now, I would look at the "Last Post" column so you can see which threads say "Today" or "Yesterday" to indicate possible new posts.

Thanks. That's been my interim solution Smile
I noticed the link before I came back to see your reply.

I suspected the 2nd request might be tougher. You seem to have this board setup a little different than I'm used to is all. I think it's so you can keep the classified, forums, articles, etc separate. I'm used to 'subscriptions' for threads, but that might be on newer versions of phpbb.

My 1968 Campmobile
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Website improvement suggestions Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
EverettB wrote:
First part - Done

I suspected the 2nd request might be tougher. You seem to have this board setup a little different than I'm used to is all. I think it's so you can keep the classified, forums, articles, etc separate. I'm used to 'subscriptions' for threads, but that might be on newer versions of phpbb.

Yes, I see the newer version uses
Subscribe to this Topic
instead of
Watch this topic for replies
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Website improvement suggestions Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Hikelite wrote:
on the watchlist itself, is there way to add an icon that will jump you to the unread posts like on the forum itself?

I realize the second might be harder, but the watchlist is far less useful when I can't tell if there are new posts on the topics unless I see that the order has shifted.

This is much more difficult and for now I will say this might not be possible in that listing without an unreasonable amount of work.

I believe I got the second part working the same way the Topics screen works with all icons and green New Post flags.

Let me know if you see any issues.
Eskimotom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Website improvement suggestions Reply with quote

My suggestion:
I would like to see a stock engine (rebuild) topic separate from "performance " engine topics.

It is a mixed bag now.

It would be nice to have an area where people could get straight help on doing stock rebuilds right. Have questions answered regarding stock specs, proper combinations. It could be divided into sections based on year/size.

There is a lot of useful info scattered all over the place. Shame it can't be funneled into a common area.

Eskimo Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Website improvement suggestions Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Hikelite wrote:
EverettB wrote:
First part - Done

Yes, I see the newer version uses
Subscribe to this Topic
instead of
Watch this topic for replies

Works perfect. Thanks Everett! Now if I can just remember to watch the threads the first time Smile

My 1968 Campmobile
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Website improvement suggestions Reply with quote

Maybe... for classifieds search...
If user selects vehicle category,
then page auto-refresh to include a "condition" dropdown.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Website improvement suggestions Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Maybe... for classifieds search...
If user selects vehicle category,
then page auto-refresh to include a "condition" dropdown.

I don't think condition is a valuable field to search on at this time due to the way it is often used by sellers.

I have considered getting rid of it several times as there are too many "1" and "2" cars that do not fit the descriptions used on the site.

Of course I could also alter the descriptions to be more realistic.
I think they were originally taken from the condition used for formal automobile auctions.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Website improvement suggestions Reply with quote

Categories are fine. Seller perception is wonky. I'd vote for keeping the standard.

Odd though... a Barndoor that's only rusty on the bottom 6" and has no engine is excellent. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: