Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

advise on an 1835 build please.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: advise on an 1835 build please. Reply with quote

Cam bolts, usually grade 5 5/16 fine thread bolts, 14 ft-lb and coated with locktite.
Star lockwashers are for steel gears only, if using mag/aluminum gear then use no washer.

CB's head look great. Should perform very similar to Tims stage one. Better? maybe, not by much if any for this app.
You were going for the "super stock" right? Good choice.

Last edited by modok on Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: advise on an 1835 build please. Reply with quote

FWIW, a few years ago I swapped heads on my 1835.
I went from mildly ported 041's (39x32) to stock 044's (40x35)
cam was a W120, compression went from high 8 to low 9 with the head swap.
Engine ran a little cooler CHT, was maybe a bit faster at wide open throttle, maybe. Not a big enough difference to be sure with my butt dyno.
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: advise on an 1835 build please. Reply with quote

so i have a question now about thick wall 92MM cylinders... I saw that i can buy just the cylinders from Air-cooled.net, they would fit in 92mm case and 94mm heads. I was thinking of going that route. Is it worth the hassle? would it keep it that much cooler?? If i did go and still used small valves, would that hinder me down the road if i wanted to use those heads for 94MM P&C? any help. thanks
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: advise on an 1835 build please. Reply with quote

There isn't much hasstle unless you drop the cylinder, the part that slips into the case is somewhat thin and may crack. Other than that, they fit into 90.5 case and work fine.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: advise on an 1835 build please. Reply with quote

does it make the motor run that much cooler though?
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: advise on an 1835 build please. Reply with quote

Who knows, mine ran cool enough, that's in the details. Are you deciding between 90.5s and thick 92s? Cutting heads for 94s may cut into stud holes/fin in some cases if that's a concern. 92s have thicker walls, but a bit less cooling fin area.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: advise on an 1835 build please. Reply with quote

The tw92 are the same as 94 except a smaller hole in the middle.
Need to have the case machined to accept 94 cylinders, which includes cutting the deck surface .060"

Why don't they shorten the cylinders so you don't have to deck the case?? don't ask me, I don't know.
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: advise on an 1835 build please. Reply with quote

well, a year later and i'm finally gonna get this thing built. It's amazing how life sucks money out of you when you least expect it. LOL.. I have my heads and misc parts supposed to show up tomorrow. I'm going to review my thread and then will be asking more questions. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Stay tuned. thanks in advance..
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: advise on an 1835 build please. Reply with quote

so i got most my stuff, going to start assembly again. I will test fit everything before assembly. i have a couple questions...
1. for the cam lobes, should i lightly sand or emory cloth the edges so they are rounded(i can't remember if they are smooth or not)
2. how much backlash or clearance for the oil pump gears? how do i measure?
3. For full flow fittings... do i use any kind of teflon tape, or just straight thread into case, cover, and oil filter housing?
4. is it better or worse to mount the oil filter in a horizontal position instead of vertical.

thanks for the help.. I'm sure i will have some more questions tomorrow.
AZOffTheWall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: advise on an 1835 build please. Reply with quote

Wow, a year later and it still not assembled.
You can debur the cam, clean all the edges, steer clear of bearing surfaces and cam lobes. I pulled a couple of pics out of the gallery.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You want to check how much the oil pump drive is in the cam slot

I've always used Teflon tape on pipe fittings, keep it clear of the openings, no need to get it right to the end of the fitting a thread or two back is fine. Install it once, if you take it out clean everything and use new tape.

Oil filter works the same upside down or how ever you want to install it, it make for a cleaner oil change if you hang it straight down but sideways is fine.
Take your time, it's already been a year so what a couple more days to get it right. Good luck
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: advise on an 1835 build please. Reply with quote

DO NOT use Teflon plumbers tape on anything for your engine. Use liquid or paste thread sealer.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: advise on an 1835 build please. Reply with quote

Thank you. Not sure what all i'll get started on today, but hopefully some. I'll have questions about break in also when the time gets close
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: advise on an 1835 build please. Reply with quote

Okay. I have some more random questions.
1. When at TDC for #1the cam lobes for #'s 1&3 should both be pointed towards #3 right? And the key on the crankshaft should be at the 9:00 position??? If they aren't then is my distributor drive in 180 out?
2. Should I use valve Lash caps with swivel feet adjusters? If so when I set up my rockers. Do I want to center them on the valves or put them to the side? If off to the side, how far??? Thanks
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: advise on an 1835 build please. Reply with quote

Judging by the type of question your asking regarding the cam lobe direction, it doesnt seem like you checked your cam gear to make sure its bolted on the cam correctly and lined up the dots on the cam gear and crank gear. Do the two things and you dont need to know the cam lobe direction
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: advise on an 1835 build please. Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Judging by the type of question your asking regarding the cam lobe direction, it doesnt seem like you checked your cam gear to make sure its bolted on the cam correctly and lined up the dots on the cam gear and crank gear. Do the two things and you dont need to know the cam lobe direction

I lined up the dot on the cam gear in line with the oil pump slot on the cam. and my dot on the cam gear is in-between the two dots on the crank gear. Just double checking everything. I still got to pull the case apart again before final assembly, i will double check everything...
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: advise on an 1835 build please. Reply with quote

I do still need help with my rockers though...
Use valve lash caps with swivel feet or no??? And
How much off the side of the valve do i have the swivel foot? and does it matter which side??
Please help me, i'm drowning.. I will do some more research also. thanks
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: advise on an 1835 build please. Reply with quote

well for anyone that's still listening. I got my motor together and did the cam break in saturday night. It fired up almost instantly. I've been trying to seat the rings when i get the time. It's been doing pretty good. The problem is i listen too much. I can't tell what's "vw noise" and whats bad noise.. haha
I'm going to take it for a decent drive tonight, then change the oil again and check the valves again. I plan on running it all weekend this weekend. So we will see how it goes. I'm really curious to tear down the old motor. I think my heads were gone. and the valve guides were leaking. When i pulled the carbs off it, there was oil in the #3 intake port.
Thanks for all your help. No news is good news... fingers crossed...
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: advise on an 1835 build please. Reply with quote

Applause Applause Awesome....
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: advise on an 1835 build please. Reply with quote

well took it out for the forth of july weekend. Changed the oil and adjusted the valves camping. so far so good. My valve cover gaskets seem to keep leaking though. I really don't want to use any sealant on those, i've had good luck in the past with none. don't know what the deal is. Also looks like the cheapo push rod tubes i got are leaking were they compress. That kind of sucks. and it's still leaking around my oil pump. All of this is manageable though. I'm going to clean her up and retorque the heads also. Now that the forth is over i'll have more time to mess with it. Here is a pic of me on the dunes though...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: