Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rooffiing scamming& drunks.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

I just built a section to connect my shop to my home about 12'x12' with 2 short valleys. 3/12 pitch ,lI didnt feal like shingling it so...I got an estimate I already have everything to do it with. 4 bundles shingles is plenty...but I got 9 .(min order).
the roofing guy came out today for an estimate..... well he got up there and ..oh this is new roof,I do repairs,Ill have to call my roofing guy...WTF???? so the roofing guy shows up and we go up....he looks around I tell him what I want..... they go out to the street to discus it....... Confused so. the company owner comes back and tells me roofing insurance is so high,50% of the roof..... Rolling Eyes hear it comes... but .....if I pay his guy cash... he will start it this afternoon& be done today....for half $900.00. but dont wory hes my employee so if any thing happend he's covered....... or I can pay through the company 2000.00..... Shocked $900 for a 3-4 hour max taking his time job making $900. OH boy did I get into the rong bizzness Wink so i spent the rest of the day readying it for shingles with my own 2 hands.....after all how hard could it be....I did the 24x34 shop it's connected to about 15 years ago.and they still look like they were done last year. effing scaming thieves. back to the how hard could it be.......I can hardly move now. this might take me a few days Wink but well worth it.....oh I forgot I did hire a friend of my brother to do it last week.... when I went up there.... he was just comnig from the other end of the house with his back pack Confused Confused then I smelled the....alkohaull....fucken drunk on my roof!!!! so i ran him offt..... then I saw what he did.....omg atleast 1 bundle of wasted shingles.... 1" thick at one point!!!! Shocked WTF??? so i ripped all that shit off today too. any body else got any good scaming stories???. ( this drunk was at 1 time a good roofer....)
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

I know from experience why roofers work in teams. My brother and I re-roofed my workshop roof years ago--no big square footage--and it damn near killed us. And we were a lot younger then. And we sure as shit didn't drink.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

I don't see it as a "scam" at all.
The roofer talked to you for a minute, realized that you are a jackass and gave you a price so high that there wasn't any way he was going to have to deal with you. Laughing
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

I bid stuff out all day. When 5 bidders come in and 2 are twice as high as the middle guy they don't want the work. The low bidder has no clue....
You pay for what you get. You get what you pay for.
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

Is this a round about way of telling us you have shingles?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
I bid stuff out all day. When 5 bidders come in and 2 are twice as high as the middle guy they don't want the work. The low bidder has no clue....

I had four people quote a flat roof membrane once. One quoted $4,500, two quoted in the $7,500 range, the last one quoted $22,000. The last guy then, upon finding out how much the other guys quoted came back with a $3,500 quote after "remembering" that he had some "extra" from another job. I told him there was no way in hell that I was going to use him when he went from being almost 3 times higher to being the cheapest. I could just see him either taking off with the deposit or getting into the job & then jacking up the price once he had started. He even started to beg & plead, then he started to threaten to lien the property for his estimate which he had initially said was free. I turned him in to the AG.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
I don't see it as a "scam" at all.
The roofer talked to you for a minute, realized that you are a jackass and gave you a price so high that there wasn't any way he was going to have to deal with you. Laughing

The money for tradesmen and contractors is not in residential and this is why very few reputable people are to be found. The best and most steady work comes from the commercial side and new construction. You are left with assholes and con men. Good luck. Look for builders association references and family owned businesses that have been around a long time. The guys riding around in unmarked trucks needing money to buy materials I'd turn the dogs loose on em.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

Zip code based pricing is what drives me nuts. We live in a nice area. Many trades people we have dealt with set their prices on "what can the homeowner afford to pay" rather than "materials + labor + overhead + a reasonable profit".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
my59 wrote:

I had four people quote a flat roof membrane once. One quoted $4,500, two quoted in the $7,500 range, the last one quoted $22,000. The last guy then, upon finding out how much the other guys quoted came back with a $3,500 quote after "remembering" that he had some "extra" from another job. I told him there was no way in hell that I was going to use him when he went from being almost 3 times higher to being the cheapest. I could just see him either taking off with the deposit or getting into the job & then jacking up the price once he had started. He even started to beg & plead, then he started to threaten to lien the property for his estimate which he had initially said was free. I turned him in to the AG.

High bidders that drop a price like that get a standard question: Tell me why i should hire someone who just tried to screw my client?

My other favorite is the guy who insists that the bid quantities are way off and his takeoff is correct, thus the high bid. Gets pretty funny when as you go through your numbers step by step and he agrees with the math but refuses to accept the reality that he has 30% more in materials and labor...and I ask him the size of his shop. Hey, must need a lot of room for all the extra material you don't use. It's kinda like screwing around with Nigerian scammers sometimes.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

Im not a jack ass mr iohajewen. just not stupid. you on the other hand might be.but I dont know or mind either way. yes there are somany scsamers out there these days.I had a friend tell me to open me a handy man shop, "it's a license to steel" is what he told me.....so he's out of the circle... known him since highschool & even went to jail togeather(drag racing on the highway) I cant even stand to look at him now.I hate effing scamers/coners,shit work. when he told me that we were done.so i gess I am a jackass I want nothing to do with people like that or think like that.not worth my time. I do however like to pay for what I get and pay good and on time.
I did do about a 1/3 of it today taking my time.started about 10 and stoped about 2 when the sun got past the trees. I have a good selection of hammers, no nailers for me. my 24x34 shop was built 100% by me with a hammer .there pretty simple to operate, and hard to shoot a nail through your eye with them. and being a machinest everything gets messured oh somany times.just like these shingles. atleast now I can tell the wife just how much $ I made this week......or saved her $$!!!
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

Roofing work just sux, but finding a good roofer is damn near impossible. Seems like the only guys doing it are fresh out of the penn, and the prices are always all over the place. Best ways is to get all your buddies together and make a party out of it. I can handle a couple of hours without feeling like I was hit by a truck, and I think most of my friends feel the same way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

I was telling the story just the other day about a guy who knocked up a chick when I was young. I referred to him as a "travelling roofer." The friends (both women) thought he moved from girl to girl- giving them roofies! I laughed pretty hard and asked, "what's the difference?"

You wanted someone else to do the shittiest, least profitable part of a roofing job- taking away their ability to at least profit slightly from the shingles. Then found yourself doing it and it surprises you?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

Contractors in general are scumbags. But, your paying for a skill set you don't have right?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
Contractors in general are scumbags. But, your paying for a skill set you don't have right?

That's a bullshit stereotype. Like saying all painters are drunk. Just laziness on your part to not find the best talent in your area. Reputable businesses stay booked weeks in advance but it's not hopeless. Call your state insurance commissioner and ask for references. The other statement that all contractors are crooks is complete bullshit as well. Be your own contractor and hire the tradesman or are you a fuckn crook ?
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
enjoyther1de wrote:

That's a bullshit stereotype. Like saying all painters are drunk. Just laziness on your part to not find the best talent in your area. Reputable businesses stay booked weeks in advance but it's not hopeless. Call your state insurance commissioner and ask for references. The other statement that all contractors are crooks is complete bullshit as well. Be your own contractor and hire the tradesman or are you a fuckn crook ?

I have worked for several companies throughout the years. Met several generals done countless jobs both on union sites and non Union. Let me know when you meet one that is looking to save you a buck. Bottom line is that you are paying for a skill set that you do not have. Get at least three written quotes and don't be a sucker.
Oh and not all painters are drunks. Most are way too high on meth to catch a buzz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

It's a man baby! Michael Myers.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

Spent 18 months trying to get someone to do mine. Old house with very steep roof, high off the ground. Most guys would take one look and say "no way, too steep", a couple quoted outrageous, like 12-15K. Finally found a local commercial company trying to keep busy in between large gigs, 7500.00 labor only, i would purchase shingles, we planned 5 months in advance for date so i could be here. They started a day after they said, had 4 guys busy for 5 days, and 2 were certified from the shingle manufacturer, so doubled my warranty. Couldn't be happier, but it was a long road to get here. My neighbor used a bunch of mexican roofers, who worked hard and got done in 2 days, then moved on to who knows where, and now 5 years later has a few small leaks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Im not a jack ass mr iohajewen. just not stupid. you on the other hand might be.but I dont know or mind either way. yes there are somany scsamers out there these days.I had a friend tell me to open me a handy man shop, "it's a license to steel" is what he told me.....so he's out of the circle... known him since highschool & even went to jail togeather(drag racing on the highway) I cant even stand to look at him now.I hate effing scamers/coners,shit work. when he told me that we were done.so i gess I am a jackass I want nothing to do with people like that or think like that.not worth my time. I do however like to pay for what I get and pay good and on time.
I did do about a 1/3 of it today taking my time.started about 10 and stoped about 2 when the sun got past the trees. I have a good selection of hammers, no nailers for me. my 24x34 shop was built 100% by me with a hammer .there pretty simple to operate, and hard to shoot a nail through your eye with them. and being a machinest everything gets messured oh somany times.just like these shingles. atleast now I can tell the wife just how much $ I made this week......or saved her $$!!!

Mr. Tucker:
I realize that you are a brilliant (albeit illiterate) gentleman. I am sorry to have offended you.
Good luck with your new career as a roofer.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

Going back to your last question, Mark, I have one word: craigslist.

Some of the sleaziest, bottom feeding, a-holes troll the for sale sections on CL. Several times I've got the cashiers check scam for something I'm selling: 'oh, so sorry, but my assistant wrote the check for too much. Just take an extra 10% for your troubles and send me the rest via money order.' Who the F falls for this shit? The last time the scammer sent me TWO cashiers checks for one item and they were dated for the day BEFORE I had even posted the item for sale.

I've also run across multiple CL deals (cars and motorcycles) that are WAY too good to be true. They all have ONE picture (probably swiped from somewhere online) and the person always tells the same story: 'oh, it's my ex husbands car/bike and it's in storage IN ANOTHER STATE, so I can't show it to you in person. Just send money and I'll handle the shipping.'
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

I did some roofing - it really sucks. I can see why roofers drink and stuff. You'd have to pay me Trumps yearly income to do it again. There's lot's easier ways to put food on the table than roofing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: