Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time capsule VW Rabbit diesel in Montana for sale
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Time capsule VW Rabbit diesel in Montana for sale Reply with quote

I know this is not proper subject but you are all my VW fanatic family and this thing is incredible and only 2500 bucks. Looks like it's been garaged and would be a dream find for one of my VW brethren. Only 94k miles:

https://missoula.craigslist.org/cto/5547192838.html
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Time capsule VW Rabbit diesel in Montana for sale Reply with quote

I have a '79 that has about the same number of miles on it. Mine is in similar condition. My paint is worse, but interior is better. Mine has a turbo, though. Very Happy
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Time capsule VW Rabbit diesel in Montana for sale Reply with quote

damn, that's nice!

if I wasn't trying to get rid of an 82' dodge with half those miles that has half the balls of that little beast... I'd snatch it up. Shocked (but the goal is to stop owning vehicles that put your ass 2' above the ground... the wife can't climb up out of things, but up into things she can do.)

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Time capsule VW Rabbit diesel in Montana for sale Reply with quote

I learned to drive in a '75 that looked nothing like that inside: no plush fabrics, lots of metal and plastic. And what's with that vomitous headliner? <shudder> For $2500 and those miles, seems like a lot of value.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Time capsule VW Rabbit diesel in Montana for sale Reply with quote

That's a dreadful Westmoreland car. Great running gear, but the worst of that era's American car interior and build quality

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Time capsule VW Rabbit diesel in Montana for sale Reply with quote

That was such a great car that I seriously wonder why VW ever stopped making it. Or am I just getting sentimental?
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Time capsule VW Rabbit diesel in Montana for sale Reply with quote

Stop making it Question I don't understand your statement.

The mk1 platform in the form of the cabriolet was still made for the U.S. market up until 1992 (17 years!) while the mk2 Golf replaced the rabbit in '85. VW still made the mk1 (Caribe) for Mexico until '87 and continued production up until 2009 (the Citi Golf) in South Africa. So from 1975-2009 that's a 34 year long production run of the same platform! Technically, the rabbit was really a Golf just rebadged for the westmorland cars and they still make the Golf today (currently in it's 7th generation). I would agree it was a great car, but I would disagree that they stopped making it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Time capsule VW Rabbit diesel in Montana for sale Reply with quote

I had a 1979 in Mexico beige that I parked on a curve on hill in Ithaca NY every winter and collected $500 every two months on insurance.

Bought it for $900, drove for 4 years, collected $3000, sold it for $900.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Time capsule VW Rabbit diesel in Montana for sale Reply with quote

veedubman72 wrote:
Stop making it Question I don't understand your statement.

This:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...stopped being manufactured in 1984 and was never sold in this country again (legally), hence the statement.

veedubman72 wrote:
The mk1 platform in the form of the cabriolet was still made for the U.S. market up until 1992 (17 years!)

A) "Mk1" is not a platform, it is a generation/version. The platform/chassis for the era in discussion is A1.

B) The Golf I/Rabbit Cabriolet was manufactured from mid-1978 up through April 1993. Wink

veedubman72 wrote:
Technically, the rabbit was really a Golf just rebadged for the westmoreland cars

It was renamed/rebadged for the USA/Canada market. The Rabbit was sold here years before Westmoreland churned out its first car.

veedubman72 wrote:
...and they still make the Golf today (currently in it's 7th generation). I would agree it was a great car, but I would disagree that they stopped making it.

The Golf nameplate is in its 7th generation; the A1 chassis Golf ended production long ago.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Time capsule VW Rabbit diesel in Montana for sale Reply with quote

It's hard to convey my appreciation for your post because my follow up is likely going to sound argumentative, but it's not and I hope you don't take it as such Very Happy

I think it's a matter of semantics, but I understand your point about mk1 vs. A1. I've just always referred to them as a mk1 and probably always will because "nameplates" aside, the various generations of the cars were and are still essentially "Golfs".

Not what I was getting at though.

Gnarlodious made a very general statement and the whole point of my post is that I just disagreed with the statement about it stopped being made. I will disagree with you on one thing though and say 2009 was not that long ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Time capsule VW Rabbit diesel in Montana for sale Reply with quote

veedubman72 wrote:
I think it's a matter of semantics

Perhaps, but it's become a peeve of mine in the VW world. "Mk1" is a moniker referring to the generation, or body style; it is not in reference to the chassis. Case in point, the Scirocco: The Mk1 and Mk2 Sciroccos are both built on the A1 chassis.

Folks still occasionally come into forums asking about their "Mk2 Cabriolets". No such thing. 1) The car body did not change one iota from start to finish; 2) the 1988-1993 Cabriolets merely received bolt-on cosmetic changes, which amounted to just a body kit and dual-round grille, nothing more. The chassis did not change, nor did the body.

The fact that the Scirocco and Cabriolet continued to be built by Karmann on the A1 chassis during the A2 Golf chassis run is what gets many folks confused. That's one reason I hate the "Mk" nonsense (no offense). Golf I, Scirocco II, Lupo III, Polo IV, etc. are much more specific and all-encompassing.

Interestingly, I very rarely see the Passat being called a "Mk" anything. They're usually referred to by their chassis: B1, B2, B3, etc.

veedubman72 wrote:
I've just always referred to them as a mk1 and probably always will

"Mark" is as commonplace in America as "tappets" is now, so I don't doubt ^that. Both are British colloquialisms that have simply wafted into American vernacular over the last 20 years.

veedubman72 wrote:
"nameplates" aside, the various generations of the cars were and are still essentially "Golfs".

No "essentially" about it. From 1974 to present, they are all Golfs regardless of the badges stuck on their tails.

veedubman72 wrote:
2009 was not that long ago.

True, but:
1) The USA has not seen a new A1 chassis VW since 1993;
2) The Citi Golf went out of production the same year the Golf V production ended, and the world has since seen the Golf VI and Golf VII. In modern car terms, that's a lengthy time.

That's what I was getting at.

Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: