Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ring and pinion video inspection
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parkker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Ring and pinion video inspection Reply with quote

Just wanting other opinions from more experienced Syncro transaxle folks.
The Van makes a bit of a whine I guess you would call it. This happens when in gear with positive torque being applied by engine.
When coasting with transaxle in gear and driving engine (negative torque) the sound goes away. Does it in all gears but more noticeable in lower gear.
Shifts are smooth, does not pop out of gear. Is it normal or ? Ring and pinion doesn't look bad to me but I am not an expert. I saw some other videos of ring and pinion where damage was obvious so just looking for experienced opinions.
It's always done this so I don't know if its normal or not have never ridden in another Vanagon.

Thanks,

Parkker
Link
[/vimeo]
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring and pinion video inspection Reply with quote

If you look at the pinion tooth in the background of my photo below, it looks terrible. But it's actually in the same good shape as the one in the foreground. My point is that looking through a blurry lens at an oil-coated tooth has little chance of providing a true picture of condition.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Always inspect the pinion, rather than the ring gear. Abnormal wear will be 4X as great on the pinion.

Whine on acceleration can be a loosened pinion nut, or a failing pinion bearing. With a loose nut, wear would be quite pronounced at the tip of the pinion teeth.

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com

Last edited by gears on Sun May 08, 2016 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring and pinion video inspection Reply with quote

Those were the symptoms mine had with a bad ring & pinion. The video I took made it unmistakable. This was a very faint whine during acceleration only.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Parkker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring and pinion video inspection Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
Those were the symptoms mine had with a bad ring & pinion. The video I took made it unmistakable. This was a very faint whine during acceleration only.

Link

Wow. Didn't see any big chunks out of pinion like you showed but apparently any whine is abnormal so this does not bode well. Crap! Not sure what I'll do now. Don't really have the funds to have it tore down etc. Not good.
Parkker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring and pinion video inspection Reply with quote

gears wrote:
If you look at the pinion tooth in the background of my photo below, it looks terrible. But it's actually in the same good shape as the one in the foreground. My point is that looking through a blurry lens at an oil-coated tooth has little chance of providing a true picture of condition.

Always inspect the pinion, rather than the ring gear. Abnormal wear will be 4X as great on the pinion.

Whine on acceleration can be a loosened pinion nut, or a failing pinion bearing. With a loose nut, wear would be quite pronounced at the tip of the pinion teeth.

Thanks for comments.
Yes It was tough to get a really clear view. I did look at the pinion its later in the video footage. Best as I could see it didn't look like it had any obvious damage like the other guys video with big pits in the face of gear tooth.
At any rate I guess any whine is not normal.
If the transaxle is in proper shape it will be quiet no wine or whirring sound at all then?
Don't have the funds for a major tear down so guess I have to drive until it fails while looking at oil and magnetic plug frequently.

I measured all around on transaxle with temp scanner and saw 125 F with 65-70 deg ambient air temps.

Last edited by Parkker on Sun May 08, 2016 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Parkker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring and pinion video inspection Reply with quote

GoWesty Rebuilt Syncro Transaxle with Locking Differential $6400

Sell my house now.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ring and pinion video inspection Reply with quote

Parkker wrote:
125*F

What are the conditions that generated 125*F? If highway speeds thats real interesting. YOUR trans might be worth more than a $6400 GoWesty rebuild. My new trans goes to 145*F driving around town less than 35mph. It goes to 160*F within in a few minutes at 65mph.

It would be great info for Vanagon Science (and over-engined transaxles) if a method can be developed to check/wiggle for pinion bearing endplay while the trans is mounted in the van. Thru the bunghole or other access plates. Or maybe removing the nosecone?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Mon May 09, 2016 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ring and pinion video inspection Reply with quote

Parkker wrote:

Sell my house now.

It is your choice to own a vehicle with a high maintenance cost. It seems weird to me to make that choice and then gripe about the cost.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ring and pinion video inspection Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for comments.
Yes It was tough to get a really clear view. I did look at the pinion its later in the video footage. Best as I could see it didn't look like it had any obvious damage like the other guys video with big pits in the face of gear tooth.
If the transaxle is in proper shape it will be quiet no wine or whirring sound at all then?
Don't have the funds for a major tear down so guess I have to drive until it fails while looking at oil and magnetic plug frequently.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.. A whining transaxle is definitely a problem.. but letting it go longer will guarantee huge dollars in replacement parts. A whine that is engine RPM specific that gets "quieter" in taller gears is most certainly a main bearing failure or coming loose in the bore. Have it rebuilt now and it might save you a ring a pinion. Wait until you can't shift it any more and the drain oil looks like unicorn blood... well $$$$. BTW, there are other re-builders out there than GW.. which I believe is a re-seller.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ring and pinion video inspection Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
A whine that is engine RPM specific that gets "quieter" in taller gears is most certainly a main bearing failure or coming loose in the bore.

Anyone hazard a guess as to the opposite: a faint whine only in 5th gear when under load?

It's a DX (diesel) gearbox, rebuilt by a reputable VW shop about 15k miles ago ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ring and pinion video inspection Reply with quote

From what I have learned is that these Syncro transaxles run very quiet with stock gears.

My first learning experience was a chirping, noise on acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear. I could not hear it out on the road once up to speed because of tire/wind noise. That was my main bearing out and 4th gear was rubbing against the housing. "Unicorn Blood".

My second learning experience was the whine noise. Again you could mainly only hear it in 1st and 2nd gears. Also only on acceleration. It was a worn ring and pinion.

Every time I had these transaxles rebuilt, they run very quiet. So now I just listen for any changes in the quiet. Then you know something is up.

Others that have had gear changes talk about hearing noise from the tranny. I have no experience with that.

Sorry to hear about your issues. But sooner is much better than later when rebuilding. There are a few shops that have great reputations. Seek them out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ring and pinion video inspection Reply with quote

Parkker wrote:

Sell my house now.

Its not the Syncro, its the system where most ppl take as much as possible.

Lets do a count.

You have a old gearbox without locker.

- main housing with locker 500-600
- new r+p if nesassary 650
- parts (bearings, synchronizers) to maintain the gearbox lets go high 700
- ZA 550
- 200 for broken parts that can be needed
- 250 for new 4th gear , if needed

More less 3000 €, very high calculated.

Alot of $$$ for for the work left up to 6400

In Germany we have a word for this "Straßenräuber"
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring and pinion video inspection Reply with quote

[quote="jberger"]
Quote:
Have it rebuilt now and it might save you a ring a pinion. Wait until you can't shift it any more and the drain oil looks like unicorn blood... well $$$$. BTW, there are other re-builders out there than GW.. which I believe is a re-seller.

Thats it. Not sure if the r+p is ok now, but sure it is trash if he drive longer.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring and pinion video inspection Reply with quote

Just to clarify a couple points in this thread:

Although the whine may be identical, Jael's pinion suffered primarily from a heat treatment depth issue, probably not the same bearing/pinion nut/gear mesh issue as the OP.

The quote below refers to the "pinion double taper roller bearing" (as opposed to the mainshaft ball bearing, which typically makes most noise in 4th gear)

Quote:
A whine that .. gets "quieter" in taller gears is most certainly a main bearing failure or coming loose in the bore.

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring and pinion video inspection Reply with quote

gears wrote:
Just to clarify a couple points in this thread:

Although the whine may be identical, Jael's pinion suffered primarily from a heat treatment depth issue, probably not the same bearing/pinion nut/gear mesh issue as the OP.

The quote below refers to the "pinion double taper roller bearing" (as opposed to the mainshaft ball bearing, which typically makes most noise in 4th gear)

Quote:
A whine that .. gets "quieter" in taller gears is most certainly a main bearing failure or coming loose in the bore.

My experience (although I'm sure not as vast as yours) has been that a main shaft, that spins with engine RPM that has a bad bearing will whine based on its own revolutions. I saw one main bearing outer race that had actually cracked and the balls were so damaged they looked like little planets with continents and everything... That box was so loud in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears that you'd think you had a super charger.. Now main bearing coming out of the bore can allow 4th gear to contact the case (more unicorn blood) or the main bearing Aluminum oil ring (washer thing that covers the roller cage) or allows the fixed portion of 2nd gear to come into contact with the shift rod.. which makes a funny noise in 4th gear.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring and pinion video inspection Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
More less 3000 €, very high calculated.
Alot of $$$ for for the work left up to 6400
In Germany we have a word for this "Straßenräuber"

$6400 is the price for purchase "outright". I think you forgot that $2500 is for core and $250 special crate to be returned, so the price is about $3600. 3600 / 1.15$/€ = 3130 € which is about the same as your 'high end" estimate.

GoWesty is a re-seller they do not repair transmissions they use the services of a rebuild-shop. So it is not surprising there is more cost to buy one off their shelf than if you go direct to the transmission shop yourself.

Plus many in the USA have no problem with paying more for their $yncro. This gives sellers a green light to raise prices even more.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring and pinion video inspection Reply with quote

If the preload on the R&P is incorrect , and this preload will change with a pinion bearing going away, it'll howl as you get on & off the throttle, it could vibrate real easy.

Time to either get yours fixed, or buy a reman.

You made an investment into the odd, unusual ,& unique example of automobilia, now it's time to belly up and support that strange, antique , low production unit.

You knew when you bought it that play time wasn't going to be a free, inexpensive ride.

It's time to unload some bigger than usual $$$ on the grim gear reaper.

It's payback time.
Parkker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring and pinion video inspection Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Parkker wrote:
125*F

What are the conditions that generated 125*F? If highway speeds thats real interesting. YOUR trans might be worth more than a $6400 GoWesty rebuild. My new trans goes to 145*F driving around town less than 35mph. It goes to 160*F within in a few minutes at 65mph.

It would be great info for Vanagon Science (and over-engined transaxles) if a method can be developed to check/wiggle for pinion bearing endplay while the trans is mounted in the van. Thru the bunghole or other access plates. Or maybe removing the nosecone?

Yes Highway speeds. I used one of those IR scanner temp guns to check it right after parking. Maybe the gun is not accurate enough? I could try a different method but that's what the gun said. If I checked it right where the engine mates up it would show 130-135 but obviously is from engine heat transfer.
Parkker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring and pinion video inspection Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Parkker wrote:

Sell my house now.

It is your choice to own a vehicle with a high maintenance cost. It seems weird to me to make that choice and then gripe about the cost.

Okay. I guess I didn't realize the costs were so high. I made a mistake. Unfortunately we are not all perfect, especially me. Please excuse my lack of intelligence, prescient abilities and large cash reserves.
Parkker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring and pinion video inspection Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for comments.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.. A whining transaxle is definitely a problem.. but letting it go longer will guarantee huge dollars in replacement parts. A whine that is engine RPM specific that gets "quieter" in taller gears is most certainly a main bearing failure or coming loose in the bore. Have it rebuilt now and it might save you a ring a pinion. Wait until you can't shift it any more and the drain oil looks like unicorn blood... well $$$$. BTW, there are other re-builders out there than GW.. which I believe is a re-seller.

Thanks. Recommend any good transaxle repair specialists? What is meant by oil looking like Unicorn blood? Lots of metal glitter in it I suppose Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: