Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spongey pedal/clutch issue: solved. Cross shaft broke
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Spongey pedal/clutch issue: solved. Cross shaft broke Reply with quote

So the other day I adjusted my clutch cable and in hind sight I probably adjusted it too tight ( it would disengage within an inch of pressing in the pedal).
I started hearing engine noise or something when clutch pedal pushed to the firewall. Well then I pushed the clutch in, felt a clunk of sorts then the pedal is Spongey as hell and when the pedal is pushed to the firewall the throw arm on the transaxle doesn't move much.

The pedals have been pulled, next is to pull the clutch cable out and inspect it, if it's fine is the next step the clutch cable tube brackets or pull the engine to check the throw out bearing?

The cross shaft had one of the arms break and fall off.

Last edited by 2T2-Crash on Sun May 29, 2016 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Spongey pedal/clutch issue Reply with quote

Clutch cable guide tube is has broken loose of its supports..

Have fun..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Spongey pedal/clutch issue Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Clutch cable guide tube is has broken loose of its supports..

Have fun..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

That's what I was figuring, and of course my Dad and I welded the access squares that had been cut to repair it before when we were going over the VE after I first purchased it.

I did a lot of set hearing here, just needed verification of what I though was the issue before I cut into the channel.

Shoulda left the access squares open. LMAO. (This is going to suck)
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Spongey pedal/clutch issue Reply with quote

Or it could just be the cable itself that has broken just one or two strands.
cn63bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Spongey pedal/clutch issue Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:

+1
Had the same thing happen to me. Several strands broke on my clutch cable and it became super spongey
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Spongey pedal/clutch issue Reply with quote

cn63bug wrote:
Danwvw wrote:

+1
Had the same thing happen to me. Several strands broke on my clutch cable and it became super spongey

True..... no doubt it could be.. it will feel like stepping on a rubber band clutch...

Car HAD access holes... hmmmmm.. previous repair failed..
Time will tell..
Popcorn

Ill wait for the report ... Place ya bets folks..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Spongey pedal/clutch issue Reply with quote

Well the clutch cable is good. The front and rear of the tube is secured. So it's either pull the engine and inspect the clutch and bearing first or take the interior out, then cut a new inspection port. I almost feel like pulling the engine is easier.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Spongey pedal/clutch issue Reply with quote

I had a 67 once that someone had done this to: If the cable is not bad that's probably it. Did you check the cable at the petal end?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Spongey pedal/clutch issue Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply.
The clutch cable is good, I think I'm going to drop the engine and inspect the throw-out bearing and clutch. If that checks out I will have to pull the interior and re-cut the center channel and inspect the middle tube bracket.
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Spongey pedal/clutch issue Reply with quote

I pulled the engine to inspect the throw-out bearing... It's sitting on the transmission shaft because the racket that holds it failed. I'll get pictures tomorrow.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Spongey pedal/clutch issue Reply with quote

Lucky you!
Just last weekend I had to re-weld the tube (in the front and the middle) on my '70 . . . loads of fun . . . NOT!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Spongey pedal/clutch issue Reply with quote

Adjusting the cable too tight might have hastened the demise of the TO bearing. If I remember right, VW welded a little tang on the pedal in later years to limit travel and thus prevent this.
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Spongey pedal/clutch issue: solved. Cross shaft broke Reply with quote

The cross shaft broke, on of the welds on the passenger side arm broke.

Of course now everything is assembled and I am adjusting the clutch cable wing nut and it has almost bottomed out the threads. I hope I don't need a new damn clutch.... I just put the engine back in!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: